Hotel v. Beach Cottage in Oahu

beachgal

From the posts, it looks like most people prefer to stay in a hotel/condo in Oahu. We'd prefer to not stay in Waikiki near the crowded beaches and have found several rental companies with beach cottages/apartments in the Kailua/Lanikai area with less crowded beaches with prices the same as a hotel/condo. We'll be renting a car for the week, so we can go to Waikiki/Honolulu and do the tourist things and explore the island.

So what is your preference for staying in a hotel versus a beach cottage?

Also, if anyone has recommendations for places to stay in Kailua or Lanikai, please pass them on. Mahalo!

Lanikai is beautiful!!!

It all depends on what you are looking for. If you dont want to stay in a crowded area, I would say a beach cottage. If you dont want to eat out every meal, I would say a beach cottage.

My personal opinion, I would stay at the beach cottage. Waikiki is so crowded and busy. If you stay in a cottage, I think it will be more relaxing and more fun. You are renting a car, so you can go to Waikiki whenever you are in the mood. But, just look at what you are wanting to do and the environment you want to stay in.

We stayed at a home B&B in Kailua and loved it. Kailua beach is a fantastic "locals" beach. Good facilities, beautiful soft white sand, warm water, and perfect for swimming. For our tastes, it was much nicer than staying in crowded Waikiki. It is easy to drive around the island, so you can do Waikiki/Honolulu when you like and then go back to your quiet cottage. Sounds perfect to me.

beachchick

Over the past few years we've done vacations on Oahu where we've stayed in hotels (once at the Sheraton Waikiki, once at the Hilton HV), and then did another one where we rented a beach house on the North shore (check out www.sunsetbeachhouse.com).

We've loved all of our time in Hawaii, but the beach house was fabulous for the privacy. That trip was a very relaxing vacation.

I also lived in the Kailua area for 2 1/2 years, but that was many years ago (it's changed a lot since then I'm sure), and the beaches there were fantastic.

Either way, you can't lose!

There are just tons of vacation rentals on the eastern shore. When I researched, I went to websites such as: www.hawaiibnb.com; www.alternative-hawaii.com; www.tripadvisor.com; www.vacationrentalshawaii.com; and there are so many more. One link will lead to another.

We stayed at: http://www.patskailua.com/ which offers many sizes units and is right near Kailua Beach Park and Lanikai.

We enjoyed our stay much more having a car and base on this side of the island. No parking problems and congestion. I'd highly recommend this.

Sammy

Archived