Adventure of the Seas Info Needed

GMC

I am looking to book a cruise on the Adventure out of San Juan in May 2005. I have read numerous negative post on other sites regarding the amount of PR teenagers on board and their rudeness. Does anyone have an experience to share, good or bad? Are the negative post I am reading from people that would complain about everything?

I hope I can get some advice before I book.

Thanks for any info!!

GMC

WE were on the Adventure in March of 2004. It was a big spring break week and the waiter told us it was the biggest passenger load yet that year. There were a great deal of young people on board but I could not issue a complaint. I never noticed any children behaving badly. They were not the chair hoggers or the complainers that dampen the week. I did not see any of them playing in the elevators or anywhere else. I would not let someone else's opinion dictate your own. We read all the comments before going but experienced none of them. I would not let it influence my decision to sail on the Adventure of the Seas, it is a beautiful ship and the staff met our expectations and went beyond. The ports of call were wonderful as well and I would recommend this cruise to you!

We sailed her twice. Two totally different experiences, but neither were negative.

The first time was a "normal" sailing. Not too many of any one "group" of people. It was easy to find people to talk to, and was a fun atmosphere.

The second time was with almost 1,000 of the 3,000 passengers from PR.

We didn't encounter a single rude person on the ship. (From any country, state, terriority, etc.)

I did get tired of hearing Spanish ALL day though. And it was hard to meet people because so many didn't speak English. The shows had the smallest turnouts we have ever seen on any ship. The dining rooms were only half full. Even the pools didn't seem to be in use very often.

The nightly entertainment was geared towards both the Spanish speaking and the English speaking people. Unfortunately it seemed that the nights that it was geared towards the Spanish speaking groups, there was very little to do on the ship at night.

For us this wasn't as much fun as the first cruise. For some it may sound like a great time. To each their own :)

I would not hesitate to sail on a ship out of San Juan, but that's just me :)

Bobbie

PS I took lots of pictures.....

herehttp://public.fotki.com/bobbie0253/ is the link.....

My group and I discussed this very issue last night... One of the conclusions we came to was: the ship is HUGE!!! On our last cruise on EOS we never encountered any difficultly "finding an open space of railing," a seat at a bar, or a quiet place to escape to... And keep in mind, you idea of a vacation may not be everyone's idea of vacation... I like to have a good time and socialize but I also like to have some peace and quiet, so I booked a balcony room on an upper floor.

We were on AOS this past July 11th. On that sailing, there was a group of about 50 Puerto Rican girls celebrating their "quincenita" (sp?). Plus, other families with their kids and you would think the ship would be overrun with teenagers. But in reality, we hardly noticed them. The only reason we even knew of the 50 birthday girls is because they all posed for a group shot on one of the formal nights. Had we not seen that picture being taken, we never would have known.

The AOS did have one bar that played Salsa music all week (which I enjoy listening to anyway...just wish I knew how to dance to it...lol) One night, they had the Salsa band up on the pool deck, rather than inside. (Maybe to give them more room to dance because when they were playing in the inside lounge it was a bit crowded on that dance floor.)

In general...I think those that complain about teens and kids on a ship are those that just need something to complain about. I have never been disturbed or upset with teens or kids in any of our cruise experiences.

We did the AOS on July 4th. We had no problem whatsoever with the Spanish or any teens for that matter, and there was a group of them on our cabin floor. They were very respectful and we never heard them running the halls or slamming doors at night. This is our second sailing from PR and I really like it. San Juan is a beautiful city. And yes, some of the entertainment is geared for the Spanish, and why shouldn't it be? The ship is docked there, and on our cruise there were about 1200 PR cruisers. This number, I think, does go up in slower times when the ship isn't as full. AOS is a remarkable ship and don't let the negative posters bother you. :)

I just sailed on the AOS in August (for the 3rd time) and have never encountered any problems. I would book it again in a heartbeat! This last time we did not have a balcony, so when I wanted some open air & peace & quiet, I would head for Deck 4. Hardly anyone is ever there (maybe it'll get crowded now!) & so you can really relax-as a matter of fact I always saw many crew members hanging out there. Almost every time I went there, someone was snoring away.

Sandi

Have done the AOS twice (Feb.& Oct.) so as to experience both itineraries. No complaints on either cruise. We love sailing the Southern Caribbean out of San Juan and will do it again. Great ports, great weather and marvelous ships.

The standard piece of advice I hand out, is to fly in the day prior to your sail date. Get to the dock by 11AM, and you'll be on the ship around noon. Grab some lunch at the Windjammer, and park on the pool deck for a few hours while the bulk of the passengers are checking in and boarding.

We were on AOS March 2004 and the only problem that we had with teenagers was a group of them that liked to sit in the hall with their legs streched across the walkway, down from our cabin. They were not loud they just sat there. They always said hello as we stepped over them and once they even told us that they were from New Jersey. Maybe that is a new "fad" thing to do there. Other then this small group we didn't even notice what the mix of people were. Everyone seemed friendly and polite.

Patti

:mad: I am sorry, that statement about PR teenagers offends ME and I am as caucasian as they come. Teenagers are the same all over the world, and I do travel and can tell you this. And in fact many (not all) American teenagers are the rudest of all because they are given free reign by the parents who also have a sense of entitlement.

When we were on the AOS, we did not have probelms with anyone. And if anyone is offended by this too bad, you should not travel out of the US if you feel that teens ( or large groups if any non American teens or any age ) will offend your sensibilities. If you board in their country then I would expect to see many locals. Do Floridian teenagers/ adults offend people? In my opinion, and I am coming from NY so the word rude is kind of irrelevant, you can only be offended by people if you are overly sensitive.

Now I know the OP did not make this statement so I am not critcising them just the review that was referred to. I think that people who write such negative reviews HAVE to have something to complain about, so ignore them.

Indeed, there were a lot of passengers from Puerto Rico: There were 3300 total passengers on our sailing: 2900 from the United States; of that 2900, 1400 were from Puerto Rico.

All passengers were very well behaved, adults and youngsters alike. We had a lovely cruise.

If you sail out of NYC, there are lots of New Yorkers. If you sail out of Florida, there are a lot of Floridians. If you sail out of Los Angeles, there are lots of Californians. If you sail out of Galveston, there are a lot of Texans. This is not by any means unreasonable and it has no relevance to the level of enjoyment of the cruise.

Please book your cruise out of San Juan and have a wonderful time. The ports are beautiful and the water's calm. Please don't be discouraged by past negative reviews.

Archived