Air quality

daquri

We will soon be on a cruise that includes Beijing, Shanghai and Seoul. Anyone have any recent knowledge (we leave March 16) on the air quality? Smog, yellow dust........

Thank you

Not to put too fine a point on it - it stinks! Literally. Unless you get a big storm that pushes the smog out to sea, the pollution in Shagnhai and Beijing is really tragic. We didn't make it to Seoul, so I can't help you with that city. However, the Chinese burn soft coal and it's really not doing themselves (or the planet) any favors. If you have respirtory problems, do be prepared with the necessary medications. Do not assume that you will be able to get the necessary meds OTC or even on a prescription from a local druggist. We had a member of our tour group get really really sick, mostly because she left her meds behind and couldn't get what she needed.

Charlie

• 3 weeks later...

I agree. Through MOST of China the skies are always grey and filled with smoke and pollution. Many of the Olympic atheletes with breathing problems are already pulling out saying they can't risk it. China was facinating but the pollution can ruin the trip for you if you're sensitive to it. Also, don't expect "blue skies" in any of your pictures. Won't happen.:(

• 3 weeks later...
We will soon be on a cruise that includes Beijing, Shanghai and Seoul. Anyone have any recent knowledge (we leave March 16) on the air quality? Smog, yellow dust........

Thank you

We have been to China twice and I am one of those with COPD and susceptible to air pollution. The air can be horrendous! I use a nebulizer and two inhalers daily. Climbing up to the Great Wall of China was like an Everest expedition for me. But glad I went. If one uses a nebulizer, concentrator or CPAP, be sure to take the necessary electrical adapters if you are staying in hotels either pre or post cruise, and purchase a battery for the nebulizer to make it portable. You will be OK on board though. Also, as previously advised, take an extra week or two of your meds just in case you are delayed or have to use more per day than you normally do. No need not to go though unless your doctor (who probably has never been to China) advises against it. IMO.

Archived