??s about several now-defunct cruiselines

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know about this ship. This was my first cruise in 1969. My parents took us as a treat since my sister and I were upset about moving to Florida. I think we sailed out of Miami. We went to Freeport and Nassau.

I remember afternoon tea, Jamaican waiters twirling their trays with baked Alaska with sparklers...and that the slot machines were in a hallway and my dad would let me play

I got the cruise bug as a kid...but always remember my first cruise. I think it was a converted warship. The cabin was a bunk bed and a sink Adan you shared the bathroom with the people next door. (and people complain about cabin size NOW) you couldn't turn around.

If anyone has any info..please let me know. Of our many family trips, this one stands out the most.

Jamaica Queen was almost the first ship of Carnival Cruise Line!

194844.jpg

She was built as an Israeli owned ferry, originally named the Nili, and intended to transport passengers and cars between Naples and Haifa.

Unfortunately, the traffic was so low on that service that she was chartered out to a Scandanavian company almost immediatly.

When that job ended, she was brought to the Caribbean by Ted Arrison who intended to use her as a 3 and 4 day Cruise Ship out of Miami.

Unfortunately, the venture was under capitalized and the Israelis wound up repossessing the ship before she could make much of an impact.

Very quickly, Jamaica Queen was re-chartered to Continental Cruise Lines and continued sailing from Miami to Kingston until late 1969 when she returned to European waters.

The ship sailed the Mediterranean, without much success until she was scrapped in 1983..

Ted Arrison, however, founded Carnival in 1970, and everything that he touched turned to gold.

• 3 years later...
Does anyone know anything about the "Ocean Princess"? I sailed on her 08/15/1992 to 08/22/1992. The ship went to Europe and Scandanavia. I don't think she was associated with the "Princess" line, but don't know for sure.

Check out this wikipedia link for the Louis Sapphire...She was Ocean Princess in the time frame you mention. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Sapphire