Denali at the end of May

Bama MiMi

We will be doing an independent land tour before our cruise next year. We will be flying in to Anchorage on May 27 or May 28 and I thought that we go north to Denali first, then travel down to Seward for a couple of days. How far will the road in the park be open at the end of May? Is it worth the trip at that time? Or, should we just reverse my plans? Please help! And yes, I know that it is over a year away, but I am just a trifle OCD and love to have my plans in order early in order to make reservations for hotel, car, etc to get the best prices.

We will be doing an independent land tour before our cruise next year. We will be flying in to Anchorage on May 27 or May 28 and I thought that we go north to Denali first, then travel down to Seward for a couple of days. How far will the road in the park be open at the end of May? Is it worth the trip at that time? Or, should we just reverse my plans? Please help! And yes, I know that it is over a year away, but I am just a trifle OCD and love to have my plans in order early in order to make reservations for hotel, car, etc to get the best prices.

I would suggest that you do your land trip in opposite fashion - Seward first and then Denali. This is what we did because the road into Denali is not open very far this early. I believe that the bus going to Fish Creek (which would be the minimum distance I would go) doesn't begin until June 1st..

If you click on the link below to our trip review from last year, you will see our itinerary and our rationale for going to Seward 1st and then Denali.

we were thinking of doing a similar pre cruise trip (denali then down to seward before catching a princess cruise out of whittier), but at the end of july. I was wondering if anyone knows how long a drive it is from Denali to Seward. I am trying to figure out if we can do it in one day and if ther eis somewhere interesting to stop on the way. We have 2 kids ages 6 & 8. Also, I was wondering if anyone khows how long the frome is from Seward to Whittier.

thanks, cleo

we were thinking of doing a similar pre cruise trip (denali then down to seward before catching a princess cruise out of whittier), but at the end of july. I was wondering if anyone knows how long a drive it is from Denali to Seward. I am trying to figure out if we can do it in one day and if ther eis somewhere interesting to stop on the way. We have 2 kids ages 6 & 8. Also, I was wondering if anyone khows how long the frome is from Seward to Whittier.

thanks, cleo

You need to allow at least 9 hours for the drive Denali Park/Seward, and I never recommend it as a day drive. Frankly for you to consider touring both Denali park and Seward with sailing out of Whittier, I suggest you allow at least 6 days. Seward/Whittier allow 2 hours PLUS tunnel time.

Think carefully What you are going to be doing in Denali Park. Few 6 year olds have much interest here. It's not a zoo, the significant part is scenery, not of interest to most kids. Wildlife is usually way off, requiring binoculars- at least 10 power. Wildlife nearby, demands silence.

If you continue with plans into the park, pack triple the games, DVD's- HEADPHONES, snacks etc and go over and over acceptable behavior.

thanks budget queen for the info, we actually have a week pre cruise and are flying into anchorage arriving around 6:30 pm. I am trying to figure out what makes sense without moving hotels every night. I thought we could get a car and drive right to Talkeetna (2 hr drive ?) and stay over day 1, next morning do a Mckinley flightseeing and maybe jet boat tour in the pm and then drive over to Denali late in the day to stay for 2-3 nights. I was planning a park shuttle bus for 1st day and maybe a mild rafting and/or sled dog thing for the 2nd day. My kids are pretty well travelled and used to long trips but i will still bring stuff for them to do and food. Then I thought we could head south toward seward to ekplore Kenai area but it sounds like we need to stop somewhere i am just not sure where, any advice. Also, do you know what time it gets dark end of July beg of Aug? thanks for the tips, cleo

thanks budget queen for the info, we actually have a week pre cruise and are flying into anchorage arriving around 6:30 pm. I am trying to figure out what makes sense without moving hotels every night. I thought we could get a car and drive right to Talkeetna (2 hr drive ?) and stay over day 1, next morning do a Mckinley flightseeing and maybe jet boat tour in the pm and then drive over to Denali late in the day to stay for 2-3 nights. I was planning a park shuttle bus for 1st day and maybe a mild rafting and/or sled dog thing for the 2nd day. My kids are pretty well travelled and used to long trips but i will still bring stuff for them to do and food. Then I thought we could head south toward seward to ekplore Kenai area but it sounds like we need to stop somewhere i am just not sure where, any advice. Also, do you know what time it gets dark end of July beg of Aug? thanks for the tips, cleo

If you are traveling many hours, frankly, you won't want to be committed to another 2 hours on the road to Talkeetna- you also need that grocery stop by Wasilla. Alaska really requires you to be on the move, it's so vast.

I would stay the first night in Anchorage, plenty to see and do there.

It probably will be the limit of Toklat with a 6 year old anyway, so if you choose to, head north to Talkeetna, or Denali park, overnight at least 2 nights, overnight in Talkeetna, Seward 2 nights, If you cruise out of Whittier, then back to Anchorage for a final night. If going out of Seward, look at activities of interest in your areas and add the night there.

Alaska driving time cannot be figured in the same way as the Lower 48 states. There are no interstate highways and very few double divided roads. Anything that might happen on the highway such as a road accident, a moose standing in traffic or summer highway repairs and construction can ruin your plans and intentions.

There is also the issue of slow going RV's which are supposed to break up their caravans if more than 5 are in a row....but often don't. Then you can't pass and are just stuck.

Add to that a jillion tour buses and people who have no idea where they are going and you have a slow going situation for sure.

Listen to BQ, she knows the ropes!

Your primary goal is not to miss your ship and/or airplane.

When we were really stuck for entertainment, we would watch folks driving up to Denali and count the couples having terrible arguments. Lame, I'll admit, but very common! We would rate them on potential for divorce!

Thanks for the responses. I guess we'll head to Seward after we land in Anchorage around 6:00 p.m. and I think (please correct me if I am wrong) we will be able to spend the night in Seward. We want to have a couple of days there and then head back toward Denali, stopping along the way. Thanks stired, I printed out your itinerary and Budget Queen for sharing your vast knowledge with the newbies.

Thanks for the responses. I guess we'll head to Seward after we land in Anchorage around 6:00 p.m. and I think (please correct me if I am wrong) we will be able to spend the night in Seward. We want to have a couple of days there and then head back toward Denali, stopping along the way. Thanks stired, I printed out your itinerary and Budget Queen for sharing your vast knowledge with the newbies.

If you don't get into Anchorage until 6:00 p.m. (and there is always the chance that your flight could be delayed), you may want to stay there overnight and leave for Seward the next morning when you're fresh - it's such an awesome drive!

And don't feel bad for planning so early. I started planning our trip over 1-1/2 years before! :D

Where are you coming from?? I still do not recommend you commit to Seward, with a 6pm arrival and needing to allow 3 hours for the drive. You certainly are not likely to be in any mood to appreciate the drive, nor have any desire to consider the many stops along the way. You would be far better off, going for an extra day, if you can squeeze it out.

We will be flying from Atlanta around 2:00 p.m. Do you think we should just spend the night in Anchorage? Our plan was to make our stops as we head back to Denali at a leisurely pace. I want your advise.

You need to consider the 4 hour time difference.

But where are you cruising out of?? If Seward, I would not be going there twice. And how many days do you have?? Would be able to suggest better, with the whole picture. :)

We will be sailing out of Whittier on June 3rd. We will fly into Anchorage a week before the cruise, head south to Seward for a couple of nights, then north to Denali with stops along the way, We will end up back in Anchorage for the final night before the cruise. :D

We will be sailing out of Whittier on June 3rd. We will fly into Anchorage a week before the cruise, head south to Seward for a couple of nights, then north to Denali with stops along the way, We will end up back in Anchorage for the final night before the cruise. :D

OK, with 7 days, I see no need to be hurrying out of Anchorage your day of arrival. I suggest you overnight there, sightsee Anchorage of interest- plenty to see and do actually. Request their visitor guide http://www.anchorage.net

If you look at 2 nights in Seward and another 2 at Denali park, you then have 3 nights for Anchorage. Night of arrival, night between Seward and Denali park ) or this could be Talkeetna/Palmer, and your last night before you cruise. Plan for this day as it can offer you plenty of time for sightseeing. Don't be in a rush to get on your ship. If you are taking the Alaska RR, then also consider a Prince William Sound boat tour- in my opinion a very worthwhile, not to be missed tour with the early Whittier arrival time.

Thanks Budget Queen. Our plan is to leave Anchorage the morning of our cruise and do the Prince William Sound tour then. I don't want to miss too much, but I know it is impossible to see it all on this first trip. I am soooo excited just reading this board and doing the preliminary planning for our trip....how am I going to stand it for another year, two months, fifteen days and 41 minutes?:rolleyes:

OK, with 7 days, I see no need to be hurrying out of Anchorage your day of arrival. I suggest you overnight there, sightsee Anchorage of interest- plenty to see and do actually. Request their visitor guide www.anchorage.net

If you look at 2 nights in Seward and another 2 at Denali park, you then have 3 nights for Anchorage. Night of arrival, night between Seward and Denali park ) or this could be Talkeetna/Palmer, and your last night before you cruise. Plan for this day as it can offer you plenty of time for sightseeing. Don't be in a rush to get on your ship. If you are taking the Alaska RR, then also consider a Prince William Sound boat tour- in my opinion a very worthwhile, not to be missed tour with the early Whittier arrival time.

BQ's suggested itinerary is very close to the one we took last year, with the exception that we spent an extra night at the Alyeska Resort in Girdwood. It worked out very well for us. Click on the "trip review" link below to see our itinerary.

Archived