? About OBC offered for being bumped--written verification

I was recently bumbed off of my May 17, 2009 sailing on the Mariner--and one of the perks offered to keep the booking was OBC. I have asked this on our original Roll Call thread, but thought I would ask here as well, to see what others have experienced in the past.

The question is, how long should it take to receive a hard copy--email or fax, of the OBC offer? Right now, all I have is verbal, thru my TA. I asked for a hard copy to be sent, but was told it would take quite a while for RCI to get everything together on their end--so I should expect it in several weeks, or possibly even months from now. I've read over and over in the forum that one should always bring written proof of OBC on your cruise, in case there is a glitch when you get on board.

It should also be noted, that my TA is a large group, and I don't have an individual agent, so I must be very diligent in getting everything in writing!

Thanks,

Elisa

Honestly, you're the first person I have ever heard of that has been "bumped" off a cruise. I have heard of cruises being cut short/made longer for whatever reason, but never heard of anyone being bumped from a cruise. Please do tell as to why (if you don't mind)......

Lady_G

With the invention of email, I would think RCCL could have done something quick in writing to your TA to confirm the bump and the OBC.

I have a FANTASTIC TA, who keeps on top of everything. If you have concerns about the situation with your TA, I would check with them weekly.

We were bumped because the sailing we were on was chartered for a very large group or company.

Fortunately, I don't have a huge issue with being bumped, as it is well in advance of the sailing date, they offered us a new date that worked at the same fare, and added the OBC. I just want to make sure I get everything in writing, and thought what I was hearing was a bit weird in terms of how long it should take to get a written confirmation.

With the invention of email, I would think RCCL could have done something quick in writing to your TA to confirm the bump and the OBC.

I have a FANTASTIC TA, who keeps on top of everything. If you have concerns about the situation with your TA, I would check with them weekly.

I've been very fortunate to have a knowledgeable CC member on my original roll-call, who offered very similar advice. I think the issue is with my TA on this one--and I will be following up with a supervisor on Monday. Thanks for your input--much appreciated!

WOW, that is very cool. I wanna be on a chartered Mariner cruise! ;)

The perk of OBC was very nice, and they did offer a nice range of dates--so I'm good, and will enjoy that extra $$$ onboard. If we had been really close to the sailing date, I would not be so mellow! I've heard that people have been bumped much closer to sailing, and that would be a much more stressful situation. It was hard enough waiting over a week to hear from the TA, when I knew the date was chartered thanks to these boards. I still had to call them--9 days was my limit!

What could have really messed you up is if you already had non-refundable airfaire, hotels, excursions, etc. already booked and paid for.

I live about an hour and half from the departure port, so no airfare or hotel to worry about. And since I had only made the booking a couple of weeks ago, had not yet booked any excursions. So in this instance, I really have no complaints with RCI--I think their handling of it has been really good. However I am learning the answer (at least for myself) to the "Whether or not to get a TA" question---get a good one who really works hard for their client, and you'll end up with a good experience. Go with a large corporation, where individual service is non-existent--and frustration will probably come your way!

What could have really messed you up is if you already had non-refundable airfaire, hotels, excursions, etc. already booked and paid for.

It's always a good idea to really look at what you're buying and make sure there is a cancelation policy you can live with when you book and pay for any of the above. We've rarely had non-refundable hotel reservations and never had a non-refundable excursion, most have a 24-48 window with no penalty.

Fortunately, airfare can't be booked more than a year away, many airlines won't book until 330 days, some budget airlines won't book more than 4 months out.

We would probably react the same as the OP, comfortable with the change since it's so far away and glad to have the onboard credit :)

I had this happen on an Asia cruise for 2009, we were not bumped but they extended the nights from 12 to 14, leaving 2 days earlier. When I officially rebooked (with RCL) they sent me updated booking documents and both the OBC for the change and the OBC for booking on board were in the documents.

I had this happen on an Asia cruise for 2009, we were not bumped but they extended the nights from 12 to 14, leaving 2 days earlier. When I officially rebooked (with RCL) they sent me updated booking documents and both the OBC for the change and the OBC for booking on board were in the documents.

So you got two extra days plus OBC for the same price as your original booking? Sweet!

However I am learning the answer (at least for myself) to the "Whether or not to get a TA" question---get a good one who really works hard for their client, and you'll end up with a good experience. Go with a large corporation, where individual service is non-existent--and frustration will probably come your way!

Seems that you've seen the light?

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that

comes from bad judgment." [Will Rogers]

In April, 2002 we were contacted by Princess one week before sailing the Royal Princess on a Panama Canal cruise, and asked to take a voluntary bump to the cruise following ours due to overbooking. We accepted their offer, and in return received a fax that with the terms that same day. Our compensation was best available cabin upon boarding, and $1000 cash upon presentation of the fax at the pursers desk!

Archived