Question regarding Cat. 11 suites on Paradise

Tedson

I'm considering a 4-day Baja cruise on Paradise and picked up a brochure, but because it was printed in 2003, it doesn't give information about Paradise, only Ecstasy. The deck layouts show that certain Cat. 11 staterooms have obstructed views and I'm wondering if the same holds true on Paradise. The reason I ask is I've got a chance to book a Suite "guarantee" at a good price, but if there's any chance I'd wind up with an obstructed view, I'd probably pay a little bit more and book a specific cabin. I'm a newbie to Carnival, so thanks in advance for any replies.

I've never sailed the Paradise but did sail the Ecstasy 3 times to Baja. Each time I had a category 11 cabin on the verandah deck with a balcony. Since the two ships are the same class, my guess is that some of this cabins will have an obstructed view. IMHO I would go for the guarantee. If I'm going to have the balcony, I don't want the lifeboat in the way. Usually when the ship docks off Catalina, the starboard side faces the island. On the last cruise we had a balcony on this side and had a lovely view of Catalina when we awoke and during the day.

I believe there IS a chance you could get an obstructed balcony view. The Ecstasy and Paradise are identical in layout.

How many are travelling with you?

The reason I ask is because the Cat 11 hold a MAX of 3 passengers. They're just slightly bigger than a normal balcony room on the newer ships.

We also did a Balcony guarantee on the Paradise last year. My wife and 2 small children. Because they won't put more than 3 in a Cat 11, my TA assured me we'd get a Cat 12.

And so we did.

Prior to the cruise, a Carnival rep also confirmed that they will not put more than 3 in those types of rooms.

Now, if there are only 2 or 3 of you, then the passengers having 4 or more will get bumped to the Cat 12 and you most likely will get an 11.

Just a note: the Cat 11 on the Fantasy class ships have NO privacy. Your balcony looks down on a public promenade deck. You can literally shake hands with those passing by.

Just something to think about.

Thanks for all the quick replies to my post! Based on what I'm reading, I don't think I want to take a chance getting an obstructed balcony. I'm also not real crazy about looking down on a walkway; one of the things I love about a balcony cabin is being able to look down at the ocean. Maybe I should bite the bullet and go for a Cat. 12.

Kathy, thanks for the tip on starboard side facing Catalina. We were tendered on Mercury and the view of Catalina was great.

Ted,

You do have a wonderful view of the ocean from a category 11 on the fantasy class ships. I think the advantage to the 11 over the 12 is that you also get a decent amount of sunshine. I love sitting on my balcony with the sun brightly shining and watching the ocean go by.

Hey everyone, I went ahead and booked a cabin in Cat. 11, making sure it's not one of the obstructed ones. Looking forward to trying Carnival. Thanks again for all your helpful comments!

If anyone knows of a Roll Call for the Dec. 6th Paradise Cruise, let me know, OK?

I had Cabin V3 on the Elation which is the same class of ship and didn't like it because it was right below the gymn which we heard EVERY morning at 6:30 & the lower number cabins on Verandah deck are looking right into the passenger deck that is right over the bridge and out over the side of the ship. Best cabins on Verandah deck are V-5 and above out to the higher numbers but excluding the V34, V38, V42, V23, V25 and V27 (which are all obstruced view. I love the passengers walking by on the deck below us as they almost never looked our way and it was a constant parade.

How many are travelling with you?

The reason I ask is because the Cat 11 hold a MAX of 3 passengers. They're just slightly bigger than a normal balcony room on the newer ships.

We also did a Balcony guarantee on the Paradise last year. My wife and 2 small children. Because they won't put more than 3 in a Cat 11, my TA assured me we'd get a Cat 12.

And so we did.

Prior to the cruise, a Carnival rep also confirmed that they will not put more than 3 in those types of rooms.

We did the same on the Inspiration, sister ship, with myself, DD, SIL & thier DD. paid bal. guarantee. We also got the suit. When I went on her with just the husband and myself did the guarantee and excpected an 11, but got the 12:)

I had Cabin V3 on the Elation which is the same class of ship and didn't like it because it was right below the gymn which we heard EVERY morning at 6:30 & the lower number cabins on Verandah deck are looking right into the passenger deck that is right over the bridge and out over the side of the ship. Best cabins on Verandah deck are V-5 and above out to the higher numbers but excluding the V34, V38, V42, V23, V25 and V27 (which are all obstruced view. I love the passengers walking by on the deck below us as they almost never looked our way and it was a constant parade.

JonV, we booked V9, and now I'm glad after reading your post. Also, we chose a starboard cabin after reading Kathy's post regarding which side faces Catalina when docked/tendered.

We did the same on the Inspiration, sister ship, with myself, DD, SIL & thier DD. paid bal. guarantee. We also got the suit. When I went on her with just the husband and myself did the guarantee and excpected an 11, but got the 12:)

Hmm...I wonder if I should waitist for a Cat. 12? :-)

YES !!!

Go on the waitlist for the cat. 12. Did that one on the Ecstacy..The balcony is bigger and private and the room is midship (my personal favorite spot), the couch is bigger, Someone above mentioned the fact that the cat 11's are not private, they're right. You can see everyone,and everyone can see and hear you!!! :rolleyes:

Trudy

Archived