Driving to Port Arthur in Hobart?

cruisecruzer

Are the roads to Port Arthur winding? and easy to maneuver? I am renting a car and don't know if the roads are the same as Dunedin going to the Penguin Place or much easier to drive.

Port Arthur is a much easier ride. We were on a motorcoach...however, we found Dunedin very winding. You should do fine. If you choose not to drive, consider hiring a driving dock-side.

Pinkie

Port Arthur is a much easier ride. We were on a motorcoach...however, we found Dunedin very winding. You should do fine. If you choose not to drive, consider hiring a driving dock-side.

Pinkie

Thank you for your answer but what is driving dock side? Is that where we hire someone to drive us at the dock? If so, do you know what they charge?

I think pinksuit made a typo and actually meant consider hiring a DRIVER dockside. I think you'll be fine renting a car. Its quite a nice drive and there is the Tasmanian Devil Park on the way as well.

It is a very easy drive, mostly highway conditions and well signposted. It's about 90km to Port Arthure from the city/dock, which will probably take you a little over an hour. You just get on the A3 freeway out of the city over the Tasman Bridge, the head past Hobart Airport to Sorell where you turn right onto the A9 (Port Arthur Highway) and head out to the Tasman Peninsula and Port Arthur. The Tasmanian Devil Conservation Park mentioned by mochuck is at Taranna about 10km before Port Arthur.

Cheers

Bob

I think pinksuit made a typo and actually meant consider hiring a DRIVER dockside. I think you'll be fine renting a car. Its quite a nice drive and there is the Tasmanian Devil Park on the way as well.

Thank you for correcting my typo. Yes, hiring a Driver dockside is a wonderful way to see the sites if you care not to join a organized cruise-tour. If this is your first experience, having a Driver or being on a tour is a good option for commentary purposes. However, having a car is also a nice alternative.

Best wishes,

Pinkie

Thank you all for the information....

Well, I rented a car in Hobart and drove around. It was well worth it..I drove to Bonorong first and then Port Arthur. Unfortunately, by the time I got my bearings on where I was going I had wasted some time in the morning.

I drove out to Bonorong and then to Port Arthur. I wished I had not gone to Bonorong and gone directly to Port Arthur first and stopped off at the Tasmanian Park. Once I got to Port Arthur we only had 2 hrs to see everything and that wasn't enough and we had to be back on the ship.

Annie

Archived