Calypso

I have looked for reviews of the Calypso but not found anything here. Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place, but has anyone been on the Calypso and tried the Black Sea itineraries?

I'd really like to know how you would compare the Calypso to the Celebration/Spirit and what the down side may be to a smaller ship. Also any thoughts on the Black Sea ports of call would be really welcome.

hello there. We have booked to go on the Crimean discovery and the Aegean Wonders back to back in June this year....we have been on the Emerald which is smaller than Celebration/Spirit and loved it...but apparently the Calypso is smaller still. What attracted us was that it is adults only and of course the itinerary seems very good. our very first cruise was on a smaller ship (750 passengers) and we like the more intimate atmosphere of that, although we still managed to 'lose' some friends we made for a couple of days!!!

I have read a review somewhere tho' I can't remember where!...possibly holidaytruths.co.uk. I know I remember reading that the entertainment was excellent but then it always is on Thomson cruises (in our experience anyway). Don't know much about the ports of call at all other than what is on the Thomson website. We were informed that they have changed

Canakkale to Limnos because of complaints from previous passengers. Hope this helps a bit!!!

We were on Calypso last July. Only cruised RC before that. Itenerary was interesting. We had an outside cabin on Deck 6 - very small but very near the back deck which was lovely to sit out on as plenty of shade (it was extremely hot in Greece / Turkey etc last July). Only on the 7 day cruise Thessaloniki, Istanbul, Sevastopol, Romania and Bulgaria. Worst was Romania - industial port and very noisy! Went to a nice beach for the day but watch out for robbers / muggers! Company was good and met some nice people but also a few who looked abit 'rough'. If you like history and want to know more about the Crimea and you should think about it. Didn't think Cannakale was too bad!

hi- there are quite a few reviews of Calypso on holidaytruths.co.uk and holiday watchdog (another uk site).

We went last year, found the cabin to be very nice compared to Destiny cabins which we didn't like. Haven't been on Spirit or Celebration. We liked the itinerary very much, sailing scenery was spectacular, but had bad weather in the Black Sea in July.

The pool is tiny and in an inconvenient spot, and sunbed space was rather crowded, but the tiered stern of the ship gives lots of sunny or shaded seating areas.

Went on the Emerald a few years ago on Black Sea Odessy. The Black Sea ports are amazing. Odessa. You dock by the Potemkin Steps which lead up into the town. There is not a lot to see apart from fantastic architecture but it is like stepping back in time. The buildings are all faded glory.

Sevastopol. We went on a trip, can't remember its name but took you to Balaclava, and spot above Valley of Death and then to rotunda museum. It was fantastic. Only half a day which meant we could explore. Found amazing market. Lovely clean city. If there on a Thursday look out for all the brides who come to have their picture taken on the sea front.

Yalta it more like a seaside resort, nice prom to walk down and craft market.

The Black Sea ports are not ones you would want to visit a lot but for a one off they are great

Have looked at Calypso for this year and noticed the itinerary has changed for the Crimean Discovery. 2 days now in Istanbul - great!! No Canakkale - well it was a bit boring but we went on a Sunday and shops etc closed. Agree Sevastopol is really nice to walk around, in fact we walked up to the Panorama Museum through the park and back to the ship - exhausting but worth it. I have been to Limnos on another trip and it's lovely! Nessabar is a world heritage site near the resort of Sunny Beach and is really pretty and easy to walk round from the ship. Lovely place to have a coffee / beer in the square. Sounds as tho' it will be excellent and a geat improvement! Let me know if you want any more specific info on Calypso.

Sailed on Calypso last August. She is a small ship but just my cup of tea.:) We did the cruise through Corinth canal, even got up at 3 in morning to watch it go back through. Was the most relaxing cruise we have done. Would rather a small ship like this than all those big ones. ( says someone going on independence in May. (For my sons sake))

We are looking to book same cruise on Calypso this year in September as we enjoyed it so much and some of the ports are different this year.

We had an inside cabin on the lowest deck, was huge in comparison to those further up, had four single beds in it.

The crew were great by the way.

We did not go to any of the shows - or any other entertainment for that matter. Those who did said it was all excellent! Fav thing in the evening was sitting out on the deck (5) with a bottle of chilled rose. Many staff are East European and very nice.

Thanks for the advice, suggestions and comments. The ports of call sound interesting and worth a visit. We like exploring ourselves so particularly like ports where you can just walk off the ship and from what you have been describing the itinerary looks interesting.

The fact that you are thinking of going again, Middy says a great deal. We're particularly fond of the Celebration, but fancy seeing somewhere different from the Med/Fjords/Baltic so I think we shall be trying a cruise on the Calypso before too long.

Please write a review jenny wren when you get back - I'd love to hear your impressions of the improved itinerary.

Was the Emerald Black Sea Odyssey at the beginning of October like this year's shirl51? And if so, what was the weather like?

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

The Black Sea Odyssey was at the end of October. We had reasonable weather at all the ports a bit cool in the Ukraine but no rain, but just looked up photos and in Greece and Istanbul we were going around in T shirts.

Hope this helps:)

Archived