Greece Turkey Egypt port reviews 2/29/08-3/11/08

Hi- great info but what is final cost for car- adding on taxes, extra insurance etc? Also how about parking at the Olympia site- availability, cost? Am a little intimidated about driving- heard highest accident rate in Europe!

pgbern--

I don't remember the final cost--and it may have changed since then anyway so I would say you should e-mail them and ask. I do recall that we did not think there were any unpleasant surprises and the company is well recommended on this board (try to search either Katakolon or Olympia).

We have rented cars in the States, the Caribbean and Europe. Driving in Europe is no different--that being said I would not rent a car in Naples!!!!

In Katakolon they gave us a map and very clear instructions on where to turn. They told us where to get gas and how much to buy. This was by far one of the easiest car rental experiences we have had.

gaomm--I looked at the paper we got from the TI booth in Civitavecchia and it didn't have a Sunday schedule, I went to the local bus website (COTAL --or something like that) and it is "underconstruction--probably updating.

Since we are returning and I am in the planning frenzy I'll post anything I find.

In the meantime--here is the link to the detailed instructions from the other thread--for the person from tripadvisor who asked.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=739395&highlight=Tarquinia

• 4 weeks later...

mountainmare..a couple of questions for you if you don't mind.

The first is one you asked, but I'm not sure if you got a definative answer. If you take a private tour in Egypt, and are generally on early seating, is there any option for food at all upon your return?

Secondly,as far as the Rome to Civi train is concerned..I believe it is quite a walk to a side platform at Termini. Do you think it would be any easier to try & pick the train up from Trastervere instead?

Thank you. :)

sparky--We arrived back to the ship just as the cruise tour buses were pulling in. The buffet section was fully open with plenty to eat for dinner. On our tour we were lucky because we chose to eat "lunch" somewhat later, so were not too hungry when we got back to the ship.

We had considered getting the train at a different station from Rome to Civitavecchia. A day (or two) before we were to leave for the ship when we were traveling through Termini we took the time to check out the location of the platform, the location of the signs, the location of the validating machines, and we used the ticket machines to purchase our tickets. After having read reports here we decided to leave from Termini. This was a wise decision because we were able to get to the station with our luggage (we each had one rolling garment bag and one carry-on backpack), find the platform (ours was the very last one), leisurely walk down the platform. When we reached our train it was already there but not open yet. We sat by the train and waited, when the doors opened we had plenty of time to get seats next to the luggage place and put our luggage where we wanted it.

If you go to another station the train stops for a very (VERY) short time, you will be throwing your bags onto the train, hoping there is a place to put them and hoping you can find a seat. So the walk in Termini is better than the risk of standing all the way to Civitavecchia. We did take the cheap local train and it was nice.

Thank you mountainmare..that makes sense. :)

No doubt I'll be back with more questions before I go..it is still sometime away, but I keep dipping in. My husband always complains that I 'walk the legs off him' so I'm trying to take it easy in a few ports this time around. Some hope though! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Hello Mountainmare, fellow traveler and fellow Philadelphian (former & sort-of)

I am sure the contact info for Nejat in Izmir is posted somewhere but I read thru 2x and didn't see it. Thank you so much for your wonderful post...we are going in January and I will use your guidance well.

Would you still have the info and be kind enough to shre?

Best regards & more thanks,

Dee in Maryland

Dee---Nejat's e-mail gets blocked out here. I just heard from him and he has a facebook page now--and I asked him where you can get his contact info. I'll get back to you and if all else fails I'll see if my e-mail account for traveling is still there and give it to you. He is a very special person and wonderful guide.

Dee, there is a cruise review here which covers some of your ports..also they have used Nejat as a guide so you may find it helpful, particularly if you scroll towards the end, just before the section on books to buy. :)

http://www99.epinions.com/review/trvl-Cruise_Lines-Renaissance-Renaissance_R1/trvl-review-3BDD-B4863F0-3827E385-prod1

mountainmare..can you tell me how to locate the number 30 bus in Cyprus? Also, you mention the promenade..is there a beach there? Still unsure of whether to just wander or hire a car in this port.

Thanks. :)

sparkey--

You walk though the terminal building (looks like a warehouse inside). In the parking lot is a bus stop on a little island (I think that's how I remember it).

The ship shuttle buses (the too expensive kind) are closer to the building. Just ask--people are really friendly. We didn't see a beach--there is a fishing pier and a walkway that goes along the sea. Along the street you will see little bus stop awnings--you can catch the bus back without having to walk all the back to your starting point.

I do wish that we had purchased more Egyptian stuff in Cyprus for gifts--especially little papyrus prints, which when framed never fail to impress. It was much easier buying them in Cyprus than in Egypt...of course for the REAL stuff you have to go to Egypt.

Dee--look at Sparkey's post. It is still freezing here, I wish we didn't have to wait until March.

• 10 months later...
I'll review Egypt on the Africa board.

We could not get an late enough flight out of FCO and our ship was due to dock at 8am--so we booked Hotel Traiano in Civitavecchia for one night post-cruiseIf you want a change from Rome or the Rome airport this is a wonderful option--but during the cruise season they have been discovered--so book early!!!

The hotel is in town and although they have free shuttle service to take you to the port you will take a cab post cruise because they don't know when you are getting off. They offer their own transfer to the airport--100 euros for 2-4people.

We convinced a cab to take us to the hotel--the city was mobbed because of a big bike race and the cab driver not happy. The hotel is modern and we were immediately offered breakfast. Our room was huge I think we were upgrades to a suite--it could easily sleep 5 people, there was a large living room with sofa-bed and full kitchen, including a washer. down a little hall was a bedroom with a queen size bed and a twin bed.

We asked where to get the bus for Tarquinia--and were given a bus schedule and told that there was a bus stop down the street--we should ask there. But there was a big bus stop across from the church in the main square. We found out that was where the stop is .

As we started down the street we noticed the sea was ahead, so we walked down to the seaside promenade and headed in the direction of the port and the castle. At the end of the promenade there was a TI booth and weasked about the bus. Up two blocks to your left. Sure enough--big bus stop, but no place to buy tickets!!! We went in a store phrase book in hand to ask. In English was told in the front of the church--well that didn't seem right, but we went in the church--no tickets, pretty church and went back to the bus stop...phrase book in hane to ask about tickets--an English speaking angel told us to go down a block (where we just were) and buy one from the newstand. Tickets are 2 euro each way.

Our English angel told us which bus to take and where to get off --in retrosect it was common sense but after the ticket fiasco we were a bit rattled.

The town of Tarquinia is fabulous. Even if you aren't into the Etruscan stuff this is worth a visit if you have done Rome too many times. It is the way Tuscany was before Tuscany was discovered I think. A little walled gem with one of the most interesting museums tucked in an ancient palace. Then we walked to the Necropolis--and walked and left the gated town--and walked through the burbs to get to it. Absolutely AMAZING!!!! There are aroung 15-20 tombs on this hill. You go in a little door for each one and down a staircase. At the bottom you press a light button and the most vivid paintings are shown--and they are all different!!! These date back to 500BC and everything is still so bright and in such detail. This was definately worth the effort!!!

The walk back to the bus was easier--first it was downhill and second we knew where we were going. As we got to the stop the bus pulled up and soon we were back in Civ. We walked back to the hotel--rested until sometime around 7--then asked for a place for dinner. they gave us a flyer--and it said "serving from 6--we speak Englis French and Spanish". Oh great I thought--a tourist place--but we went anyway. Of course we were probably the only cruise people in town--it was off season, but we found it and there were only two other people there. The waiter did not speak English and since they specialize in local food--and I'mallergic to seafood communication was a problem.

All of a sudden this perky blonde Brit comes running over---ENGLISH!!!! YOU SPEAK ENGLISH!!! Turns out its off season--she didn't expect tourists. She suggests food for dinner--and says that they have wood fired pizza and in the National Pizza Competition their pizza guy came in #4--the highest non Naples competitor. DH has the pizza and says that it is even better than DaMichele. Soon the place is mobbed with locals--and I do feel better about the choice. The food is wonderful and for desert we order one thing but the owner tells us the taramisu is homemade and much better--and it was.

The next day we get up early for breakfast and our ride to the airport--very easy. Its off season and I'm used to large airports and found FCO sort of small and easy to get around--but because it is small I imagine that during high season it is crazy.

Flight was good--great pictures of the Italian coast, the alps and pack ice by Canada. Crossed over the Jersey shore around Cape May and were treated to a nice view of Philly as we landed.

And now--finally this report is over. Ask away if you want nuts and bolts details.

YOu are a mine of information. Thanks so much.

Mary

• 1 year later...

Archived