Driving to Key West

helicopter

Has anyone driven from Miami to Key West before their cruise? We are going in two days early and although we have been to Key West we thought it would be nice to rent a car one morning and see the rest of the Keys. About how long is the drive time. Any place anyone thinks is a must see along the way?:) We'll be driving in June 05.

Hi There,

Seems like it took about 4 hours. It's a pretty drive with plenty of interesting birds to see but gets boring too. The African Queen boat is in Key Largo and is fun to see. Although we enjoyed the drive, we decided to take a plane down there next time. More time to have more fun in KW!

Hope this helps!

Gosh, I think the drive to the Keys is one of the peak experiences eveyone should have if at all possible! It's just gorgeous all the way--ocean & gulf views at the same time. You'll see lots of egrets, heron & other waterfowl I can't even identify. You should not try to go down and back in one day, but stay over night in Key West. Give yourself time to stop at anything that strikes your fancy.

Maryann

Just make sure whatever you do, schedule a LOT of time for the return trip. If there is an accident on US 1 you might be stuck for HOURS. This happened to me a while back I got stuck sitting in traffic on the 7-mile bridge for 5 hours after a serious accident happend and it was no fun at all. The road in and out of the keys is two lane for about 100 miles or so. But it is a wonderful drive! It is so beautiful.

I would NEVER drive to Key West and back in the same day again. It is a lovely drive but to go there and back in one day is very tiring. We did not run into an accident but there was road construction which held us up for a while.

Archived