Mexican tax

Bobby Jones

Just received from my travel agent a copy of a Princess fax. It's official!! Effective July 1, 2008, Mexico will charge $5 per person per Mexican port visited. It already has been added to my bill for my Panama Canal cruise in January. We only stop in one port on that particular cruise, so it's $10 extra for me and my wife. Not a deal breaker, but that works out to about $10K per ship - per port. Not a bad deal for them, considering there are already port fees and other similar charges embedded in the cost of the cruise.

Just received from my travel agent a copy of a Princess fax. It's official!! Effective July 1, 2008, Mexico will charge $5 per person per Mexican port visited. It already has been added to my bill for my Panama Canal cruise in January. We only stop in one port on that particular cruise, so it's $10 extra for me and my wife. Not a deal breaker, but that works out to about $10K per ship - per port. Not a bad deal for them, considering there are already port fees and other similar charges embedded in the cost of the cruise.

Its ok Bobby, I owe you a drink and we have the fuel charge credit that Princess is going to announce any day now too look forward too.... you are going to end up ahead of the game!

Thanks, Putterdude, for making sense of all this. I feel better now.

But we do have 9+ months before our cruise - who knows what they'll think of before then?

Has spring sprung up there yet?

I am holding my breath on the Fuel Charge rebate, you be sure and tell me when I can breath again? Yes spring is definately here, the crocuses are up, the dafs are about to blossom, I have mowed the lawn twice since Jan 18th, I need to get out and weed the gardens again, the tax man commeth, and the Stanley Cup playoffs are around the corner all sure signs of spring.

I am holding my breath on the Fuel Charge rebate, you be sure and tell me when I can breath again? Yes spring is definately here, the crocuses are up, the dafs are about to blossom, I have mowed the lawn twice since Jan 18th, I need to get out and weed the gardens again, the tax man commeth, and the Stanley Cup playoffs are around the corner all sure signs of spring.

most likely, they will just raise the fares. Several airlines have done that this week (instead of fuel surcharges). It is likely that as the dollar keeps dropping, these fares are going to have to go up.

I prefer to have the fare raised and not get taxed to death. I remember when port charges were extra and everybody charged a different rate, depending on who you booked with. I would like to see all taxes and fees included in the fare and then there would be no surprises.

most likely, they will just raise the fares. Several airlines have done that this week (instead of fuel surcharges). It is likely that as the dollar keeps dropping, these fares are going to have to go up.

I agree but I don't think they can increase the fare after you have booked but they are able to charge you surcharges and taxes that occur after booking, although now the surcharge is obviously currently under debate.

Archived