Underwater housing: Safe?

Would it be worth it to buy an underwater housing for a canon powershot SD800, or should I just buy the throwaway underwater cameras? I am a little nervous about it leaking and ruining the camera. Do these things ever leak?

This will be my daughters camera I will be borrowing as my dh wants to buy one of the bigger digital cameras that will fit his telephoto lenses. He is looking at the new Canon rebel xsi that will be coming out soon. I thought the little powershot would be just perfect for me.

WE are going to be using it for an underwater safari in Bora Bora so I would really like good pictures. Thank you:)

Would it be worth it to buy an underwater housing for a canon powershot SD800, or should I just buy the throwaway underwater cameras? I am a little nervous about it leaking and ruining the camera. Do these things ever leak?

This will be my daughters camera I will be borrowing as my dh wants to buy one of the bigger digital cameras that will fit his telephoto lenses. He is looking at the new Canon rebel xsi that will be coming out soon. I thought the little powershot would be just perfect for me.

WE are going to be using it for an underwater safari in Bora Bora so I would really like good pictures. Thank you:)

I used an underwater housing for my new Fuji point & shoot and it was completely water tight. I wrote about the experience in this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=731685

Thank you photodoodle for your answer. Hopefully canon makes theirs as good as Fuji. Your pictures were brilliant! I hope mine come out half as good.:)

I have not heard of problems with underwater housings made specifically for an individual camera. Just be sure to read and follow the directions for testing, use, maintenance and storage of the housing.

I shot about 150 photos underwater to get 5 that I liked. It's really easy to end up with an empty blue frame, or just a bit of fishtail. Just keep shooting and toss the junk later. Isn't digital photography great! Happy shooting!

I think the underwater housings are definitely worth the investment. It can help to keep from having to use 2 different cameras.. Such as an underwater disposable and then your digital for land. They are as safe as you take care of them. Meaning, when you get a housing, it has instructions that you must follow. The biggest culprit for having leaking is hair or sand. So just be very careful when you open them and such. You will go through a water test before you ever put the camera in the housing and that's your test. My biggest advice is don't open the housing at the beach (sand) and be careful at home. So there's maintenance care but it's second nature once you read and then do it.

I've had an Olympus Stylus with underwater housing that I've loved and am going to sell as I just upgraded to the Olympus sp 550 uz. Plus my beginner camera was a film suprema sport in a housing. Never any problems, knock on wood, with these cameras. Good luck and enjoy......

Thank you cruzegirl.:) I went to the canon site and read all about taking care of them and it didn't look too bad. Are they very awkward to use while you are snorkeling? This was something else I thought I could use if for, but am not sure if it would be too heavy while I am trying to stay afloat.

Thank you cruzegirl.:) I went to the canon site and read all about taking care of them and it didn't look too bad. Are they very awkward to use while you are snorkeling? This was something else I thought I could use if for, but am not sure if it would be too heavy while I am trying to stay afloat.

Actually, while in the housing, your camera should float. Both of mine do. I have to add weight to the housing to make it less buoyant.

You can get flood insurance for your housed camera.

With careful cleaning and loading, your camera will be safe inside the housing. The importance of keeping the O-ring clean can't be over emphasized. Even a hair caught in the O-ring can allow a housing to flood while on a dive.

Your welcome..... Yes, Canon and Olympus both have great info. on taking care of them. I also have a Canon digital rebel that I really enjoy...

They are a little awkward to use at first. But the best way to get used to it is to put the camera in there and practice around the house taking photos. Then you get used to where the buttons/controls are. That's how I did it when I got my first one.

As Bruce said, they are buoyant when in the housing.... Yet my Olympus Stylus, when I dropped it while getting on a boat, sank.... lol..... A diver found it on the next dive for me. :D So they do float. I have a weight for my new one so it's not trying to float by my face while diving. While snorkeling, you will be more shallow so it shouldn't be such an issue for you.

Also as Bruce said, there is flood insurance you can get for underwater equipment. All my stuff is insured. Both for flooding or losing..... :rolleyes:

Archived