St Martin's Carnival 2008

GTO-Girl

So, for us old folks, no shops will be open when we arrive on Wednesday, April 30th? One reason we picked this cruise was for St. Maarten - guess we should have done our homework! No shopping!!!!!! Yikes!!

I would think the stores would be open in the am, the parade isnt until 2pm. Or maybe you can go to the french side (marigot) to shop. Just a thought.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so I can be sure I understand...

We will be there on the 30th. If we want to do Maho Beach and Orient Beach, we should get off the boat first thing, hit Orient, head to Maho for lunch and then go back to the ship before 2pm, correct?

We will be on the Mariner, she leaves at 8pm. What kind of time does that give us?

itink - we will be on the same sailing! I am wondering how it will all go also! Right now, I am planning on getting off the ship, walking over to the water taxi area and buy my roundtrip ticket for about $6 Somewhere I read that only motorized traffic would be blocked in Phillisburg from about 1:30 or so on. So everyone needs to be at least in Phillisburg by the time the parade gets into the Dutch shopping area. I understand that the stores would be closed by the time the parade reaches there. But, if you are on foot, you can at least walk over to either water taxi pier and get back to the ship. At least this is the understanding I have! I will be meeting with St. Maarten folks Thursday night, and perhaps I will have a better "understanding" of how things might or may work. I will try to get back online and relay whatever information I obtain -- if any different from what I just posted.

What part of Virginia are you from? We are from Atlanta. See you on board!

gadiamondgal, that is sort of what I was thinking as well. Water taxi ticket just to be safe...

We live in the DC suburbs. I am so excited that we are in the fnal stretch for the cruise!!

Okay, so I can be sure I understand...

We will be there on the 30th. If we want to do Maho Beach and Orient Beach, we should get off the boat first thing, hit Orient, head to Maho for lunch and then go back to the ship before 2pm, correct?

We will be on the Mariner, she leaves at 8pm. What kind of time does that give us?

Hi itink, I am on this sailing also. Have you seen our roll call thread?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=532745

We really appriciate all of the answers you provide to us here on the CC. :D

I too will be visiting St Maarten for the first time on April 30th and am looking forward to it. I hope to visit Orient Beach, Marigot, & Maho as well as taking in a bit of Philipsburg. As itink said Our ship does not leave until 8 pm so we do not have to be back on board until 6 or 7. The parade should be well cleard out by this time correct? Any pointers on how to best enjoy your lovely island on this particular day?

Archived