Rotterdam: South America / Antarctica Photos

RevNeal

Your photos are wonderful and brought back so many great memories for me. DH and I were on your cruise over Christmas and New Years 2006/2007 and it was by far the best cruise we have ever done. And I agree with you, when I stepped out on the bow of the Rotterdam one morning, God's beauty was everywhere. I felt very close to the Lord that morning. Thanks again, I enjoy your travel journals! Sincerely, Marian

Thank you both, so much!

I'm aware that there were a couple of pages that had photos and text scrambled out of order ... I think I've gotten them all fixed.

Thanks to the 18 ... no, now 20 ... people who e-mailed to let me know!

Thank you both, so much!

I'm aware that there were a couple of pages that had photos and text scrambled out of order ... I think I've gotten them all fixed.

Thanks to the 18 ... no, now 20 ... people who e-mailed to let me know!

Now, I think I must be losing my mind...I saw them in Ruth's thread, "Happy Wanderer," of the cruise! Maybe you've posted them twice?

Now, I think I must be losing my mind...I saw them in Ruth's thread, "Happy Wanderer," of the cruise! Maybe you've posted them twice?

I posted the notice twice. Once in the Happy Wanderer Thread, and once in a thread of it's own so that people who wouldn't check the Happy Wanderer Thread (because it's old) will see it.

Sorry if I confused you.

While it would obviously be the appropriate place to have it, I have NEVER seen a helipad marker on the bow of any HAL ships.

Was there any announcement given, or do you know why the Rotterdam has it there? Is it something that's always been on the Rotterdam, or something new to the fleet?

Greg, I'm so glad you posted these, I told my DH wait till you see Greg's pictures your going to want to go! He's really interested in the trip I know this will do the trick. So far what I have seen is just beautiful!

Thanks,

Dianne

revneal, thanks for the great photos of the Rotterdam! We will be on her May 2nd...can't wait! The ship looks very elegant.

Thank you very much, Karen. Yes, she is a very elegant ship ... the gorgeous understated elegance of all dam ships. I love her ... she's definitely become my favorite ship.

While it would obviously be the appropriate place to have it, I have NEVER seen a helipad marker on the bow of any HAL ships.

Was there any announcement given, or do you know why the Rotterdam has it there? Is it something that's always been on the Rotterdam, or something new to the fleet?

I was intrigued by it, too. I hadn't seen it, before, on the bow of a HAL ship. However, it is the most logical place for it ... and, indeed, when they've had to evacuate patients from HAL ships in the past, this is where they've done it.

No announcements were made, and I don't think it was used on our cruise. As for it being "new" ... I don't know. RuthC would know if it's been on the Rotterdam all along.

Greg, I'm so glad you posted these, I told my DH wait till you see Greg's pictures your going to want to go! He's really interested in the trip I know this will do the trick. So far what I have seen is just beautiful!

Thank you so much, Diane. It was, indeed, glorious ... so much so that it's become a cruise that I absolutely want to do again. Working on these galleries and viewing the pictures, again, has really solidified in my mind and heart a desire to go again.

Greg, Tom and I just viewed your photos and all we could keep saying was WOW!!!. I so loved all the penquin pictures. I would so love to do this cruise, it looks amazing.

Thanks so very much for sharing all this with us.:)

Thank you, Lisa and Tom. Yes, it was glorious. You really SHOULD do it, once your schedule allows.

Hey, I'm doing it again in 2010 ... so ... think about it!

I hope to take my mother and Christopher.

Rev Neal, after viewing your beautiful photos, I'm rethinking my desire to see Antarctica on an expedition ship. I had thought that the best way to see it was by pulling on parka and boots and climbing into a Zodiac, especially since DH and I are fit and healthy. From your photos and your enlightening captions, it looks like Rotterdam got in almost as close as a small ship. And you were able to enjoy the comforts of "home" instead of the more Spartan conditions of an expedition ship -- and at less cost.

Rev Greg, if price was not an issue (!!) and you could repeat the same basic itinerary, would you prefer an elegant HAL ship or an expedition ship that can land passengers ashore? Which kind of adventure is easier on our poor planet? I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Mrs Muir

Rev Neal, after viewing your beautiful photos, I'm rethinking my desire to see Antarctica on an expedition ship. I had thought that the best way to see it was by pulling on parka and boots and climbing into a Zodiac, especially since DH and I are fit and healthy. From your photos and your enlightening captions, it looks like Rotterdam got in almost as close as a small ship. And you were able to enjoy the comforts of "home" instead of the more Spartan conditions of an expedition ship -- and at less cost.

Rev Greg, if price was not an issue (!!) and you could repeat the same basic itinerary, would you prefer an elegant HAL ship or an expedition ship that can land passengers ashore? Which kind of adventure is easier on our poor planet? I'd appreciate your thoughts.

If price were NOT an option, and I could afford the $12,000 for a single supplement fare on one of the luxury expedition ships, I would definitely do that so as to be able to go ashore and, indeed, the longer stay in Antarctica (7-8 days, as opposed to 3 or 4). I wouldn't do the cruise on one of the "budget" expedition ships (still costing about $8000) but, rather on one of the few Lines that offer Luxury accommodations for about 100 passengers. The price, however, is WAY outside my range. If I'm going to shell out that kind of money, I'm going to do it for a 30-60 day exotic cruise to the South pacific and the far east.

The Rotterdam's 20 day cruise to South America and Antarctica cost me about a third of what a Luxury Expedition cruise would cost.

I LOVED the trip and look forward to doing it again in 2010. If not going ashore, it is THE way of doing Antarctica in comfort and in style. The sights from the deck are just amazing.

Greg,

WOW!!!!!

These photos--especially the Antarctica ones--were absolutely breath-taking. Thanks you so much for sharing them.

This cruise is one I hope to take one day. Like Ruth, I love the cold and would love to see these amazing bergs!

THis must have been so special.

Thank you again.

Thanks for taking the time to post you wonderful pictures. The scenery was truly breathtaking.

I think HAL should give you a discount on your 2010 cruise since you will have convinced plenty of people to take this trip after seeing your photos. You've got me thinking about 2009 or 2010.

<Sigh>

I THOUGHT I was done, but I'm not!

I forgot to prepare the page for Montevideo, Uruguay! DANG!

I've got a few nice photos from there, too.

I'll have to do that this afternoon and get them linked in to the gallery. When I do, I'll let y'all know in case any of you want to view them. It was a nice port, but not as impressive as BA and certainly not as Antarctica.

I substitute teach in high schools in Chicago, so I hear the word awesome many times a day, but in viewing your pictures of Antartica, I feel I am using the word properly.

My SO and I were on the cruise around South America in 2001 (or maybe 2000) but at that time, they didin't include Antartica. Now I'm tempted to do that itinerary again.

Thank you for all your time and talent in posting the pictures. If I ever want to link pictures to a posting, I have to wait for one of my little nieces or nephews to come and show me how to do it.

Revneal - GREAT SHOTS:D !!! I am also interested in what equipment you used. In particular the lenses. I shoot with a Canon 40D and have the Tamron 28-300 with vibration compensation so with the 1.6 crop factor of the camera I am really shooting with a 45-480mm setup.

I really enjoy all your writings and contributions you make to this board.

And BTW - Happy Palm Sunday!!

Archived