15 Day trip to Egypt - the travel notes, by Seafun

seafun

:D Okay, here I am just off the beach -- checking email for the first time in a week. (over 200 messages in the inbox!)

Hawaii is spectacular, as usual. I will give you a few details later, but for now, just wanted to let you know the volcanic fog has not affected me on Oahu, nor have the closures of Aloha and ATA airlines.

Eating like a Hawaiian pig -- fresh fish and steaks on the barbecue twenty feet from the beach every night.

Getting tanner by the minute...

Off to the North Shore in a few minutes for glider rides and snorkeling/scuba, then dinner with some friends at their oceanfront home.

I brought my Egypt photos and DVD's to show the rest of the family but we haven't gotten around to it yet. Too busy..

Wish you were here... :)

I'm back from Hawaii, and just read that Gate 1 is now substituting "Ramses King of the Nile" for the cruise ship.

Hopefully it will be a little nicer than the "slightly worn" "Queen of Sheeba" that we were on. (But once again... don't go expecting a 5 star ship -- enjoy the view and the experience of Egypt!)

You're a fabulous writer! Thank you so much for sharing.

We leave for Egypt next week and I'm so glad I happened on your report beforehand. I will definitely be buying another memory card or two tomorrow.

I knew I'd want a lot of memory but I was thinking enough for 600 pictures would do. You've convinced me that could be a big mistake. And maybe I'll buy some more batteries, too.

And the tips on the Luxor museum, making a list of the tombs we'd most want to see in the Valley of the Kings -- oh, and not eating ice cream -- priceless. Thanks again, seafun.

I'm glad you got some useful hints and information out of my long-winded dissertation! LOL ;)

And YES, take along extra batteries with those memory cards. While camera batteries (AA's in my case) were available all over, the price for 4 went as high as U.S. $20.00! :eek: (Abu Simbel) In the shopping stalls in the market in Luxor I was able to get 4 for $1.00 (5 LE), so they vary in price a huge amount!! They must know when they have a captive audience! :rolleyes:

I've learned over the years the absolute joy of digital photography --- just keep snapping away (like you know what you're doing) photo after photo, -- I took just over 1,000 -- and by golly, just by sheer dumb luck and the law of averages, you inevitably end up with some really great shots! The "not-so-great" can be deleted once you get home, and everyone will rave about your photographic skill! :D

I presume you've looked at my photos on the "Seafun posting pictures..." thread here on the Africa board. It's great fun to see how many of us have taken similar or identical pictures during our trips!

Have a great trip and let me know if you have any last-minute questions. :)

Hi Seafun --

Yes, I did check out your wonderful pictures. I hope I'll have that same grin on my face in my pix that you are wearing in yours -- you obviously were in a state of bliss!

If you have a chance to read this & reply before I leave, here are a couple of silly questions...

Did you do laundry at your hotels or on the ship? Or did you fool with washing anything on your own in the sink? I'm struggling with that luggage weight limit and trying to imagine how easy it will be to get laundry done. Lots of threads talk about people bringing just 2 pairs of pants, 2 tops, for example and re-wearing or washing in the sink at night but I can't possibly pack that light!

Regarding what food is safe or not -- are you a coffee drinker? I guess since it's heated, it's not a problem to drink -- but what about putting milk or cream in it? Wondering if I should avoid that to be safe. I'm such a caffeine addict that I'm worried about not getting my morning fix and getting that terrible caffeine-withdrawal headache.

I know -- of all the important things to worry about, coffee & clean underwear are my focus -- I'm weird!

I won't bombard you with the other trivial questions that are churning in my head keeping me awake. Only two nights to go! :)

Hi Sparky -- I bet you're excited! :D

A couple of thoughts on your questions...

I recently threw out the laundry bill from the cruise ship, but I remember it being about 55 Egyptian pounds -- maybe $11.00 -- for four or five shirts, two pair of long pants, a pair or two of shorts, some underwear and socks. The prices were quite reasonable for everything as I recall, and they had express same-day service for a higher price if you needed it. I had laundry done the first or second day on the cruise ship and the next to the last day (make sure it will be back in time :) ).

As to the caffeine question... I'm not quite addicted to caffeine :rolleyes: but have some suggestions, because you won't find a Starbucks at every corner, temple or pyramid, LOL!

For sure, take along a baggie full of instant coffee crystals that you like, with an adequate amount of "life-giving caffeine." And take it everywhere with you. Because of the unsafe water potential most places, I have two suggestions.

In a pinch, you can put the cofee crystals in a bottle of water (available everywhere ) and make a pseudo ice coffee. I suppose you could also stir the crystals into a cup of tea (available more places than coffee) but I'd be worried that the water might not have been brought to a full boil.

And I'd take along a baggie full of those individual creamer things - liquid or powdered - that don't need refrigeration, and keep some of those with you all the time, as well as some sugar if you use it. I wouldn't trust the milk or cream offered, and this way you don't have to worry about that.

Okay, somewhat disjointed, but back to laundry:

I took my travel steamer along, with a converter plug and was able to hand wash a bunch of stuff in my room, let it dry, and then fluff it up with the steamer after that initial batch of "sent out" laundry. And there's a hair dryer in every room you'll sleep in on land, and on the Nile (doesn't that sound nice...) that can help dry things a little faster if need be, but things dry quickly in Egypt.

I took a small Ziploc baggie of laundry soap along with me, and it was easy to wash things in the sink. Take along some bigger (gallon or waste basket liners) just in case the laundry isn't dry before you have to move on, or to put dirty clothes in.

Oh, and by the way... neither of those seemed like weird questions to me. :)

Let me know if anything else comes to mind... :D

Thanks seafun - your answers have been very helpful.

I knew I should've weaned myself off coffee before this trip!

I'm wondering if some vivarin or no-doze would come through for the caffeine fix and then I wouldn't have to fool with any barista supplies. :p

Glad to hear the laundry service is not over-priced. In addition to the ship, we're staying at the Grand Hyatt in Cairo -- hopefully it will be reasonable to have done there as well. I'll pack my little bottle of woolite and do some small things in the room.

There's so much great information on these boards - I love being able to get first-hand advice & hear about other people's adventures. How did we all ever travel without the internet?

Thanks again!

I am so sorry to hear about losing all those pictures! I am a photographer as well and know that I would be devastated. I know it doesn't help much now, but having had an incident like that happen to me, I have purchased 15 1 gb cards and swap them out every day. I number them, so I know what day they go to and make sure i put in a new card every night so it doesn't happen again.

It's too late fo rthis trip, but I hope it helps for your future journeys.

Thanks for the beautiful story!

Yes, the loss of those pictures was pretty horrible at the time. I had thought I was being safe and clever by taking four memory cards with me, just to avoid putting all my "eggs in one basket," or pictures on one memory card, just as you suggested.

Apparently I was wrong. :( I was defeated by my camera's too-easy-to-use "Delete" button. As I noted in my "Egypt Blog Thingy," as my friends call it, I got a second chance in the Luxor temple, on another day at sunset to replace most of those pictures. But the priceless pictures of the sunrise along the Nile as we left Luxor, and all the pictures of life along the Nile that morning... well, they did not enjoy "eternal life!" :rolleyes:

But that's one of the great things about these forums! We can all learn from each other's experiences (and mistakes!) :eek:

And thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed my story. :)

My mom and I are doing GCT's 15 day trip in February. 5 days in Cairo and the rest of the time on the River Anuket, cruising the NIle. We'll also do a 6 day extension in Amman and Petra. My mom is so excited. We're doing the cruise because I think it will be easier on her physically to be stationed in one place. And you can be assured that I'll be buying more photo cards before I leave!

Then, in 2010, I'll be going back to Egypt with my sister and friends. This trip will be with a local tour group and ww'll be doing more out of the way things, like going out in the deseert and camping with the bedouins.

It has been a life long dream of mine to go to Egypt and I can't wait foo Feb. to get here!

Hi, I just returned from the very same trip with GCT so if you have any questions please feel free to ask! I made some comments about the trip yesterday on the posting titled "River Cruise Review....Long". It was a great trip and this was my 4th GCT trip and I have always been pleased with their tours. This one has several very early morning flights to catch so it is a little more grueling but at least there is time on the ship to rest some and take afternoon naps if you'll take advantage of it. Also February should be cooler. We had one day at the Valley of the Kings that the temperature was 112 degrees....they said it was unseasonably warm. We picked April thinking that it would be mild and it was nice when we were in Cairo & Alexandria but warmer on the Nile Cruise. Again, feel free to ask any questions about the trip or ship!

Hi, I just returned from the very same trip with GCT so if you have any questions please feel free to ask! I made some comments about the trip yesterday on the posting titled "River Cruise Review....Long". It was a great trip and this was my 4th GCT trip and I have always been pleased with their tours. This one has several very early morning flights to catch so it is a little more grueling but at least there is time on the ship to rest some and take afternoon naps if you'll take advantage of it. Also February should be cooler. We had one day at the Valley of the Kings that the temperature was 112 degrees....they said it was unseasonably warm. We picked April thinking that it would be mild and it was nice when we were in Cairo & Alexandria but warmer on the Nile Cruise. Again, feel free to ask any questions about the trip or ship!

I asked on another blog, what extras should we pack. People on that blog had said that they were glad they brought toilet paper, snacks, and some prescription meds such as anitbiotics. I inquired about misquito spray, and whether we needed sweaters or would a long sleeve shirt be enough in September. Also, how crowded was the Egyptair flight? Do they alllow you to take the empty seats to sleep on? What about tips for the guides?

Was the trip to Alexandria worth the cost? Did you go to the bazar in Cairo? How safe did you feel? Where were the rooms for the GCT people in the Marriott?

I had some of the same questions, but also....

Did all the rooms on the ship have sliding glass doors, or did some just have windows? How were the rooms - well insulated, or did you hear every noise? Which part of the boat would you recommend to hear the least amount of noise?

HOw were you all transported around? Several buses? Did it ever seem crowded? I've never done a large group tour before, and I'm a little hesitant about it.

I'm 44 years old - will I be the youngest on board? I get the feeling that I will be, which is ok. I prefer that to a lot of kids.

THanks for your help, TRaveler 50!

I asked on another blog, what extras should we pack. People on that blog had said that they were glad they brought toilet paper, snacks, and some prescription meds such as anitbiotics. I inquired about misquito spray, and whether we needed sweaters or would a long sleeve shirt be enough in September. Also, how crowded was the Egyptair flight? Do they alllow you to take the empty seats to sleep on? What about tips for the guides?

Was the trip to Alexandria worth the cost? Did you go to the bazar in Cairo? How safe did you feel? Where were the rooms for the GCT people in the Marriott?

Take a sweater. Once the sun goes down it can get cool. We didn't need mosquito spray in either Nov nor Feb. Egyptair will most likely be full but if it's not you can sleep across empty seats. Tip the guides 10%. Alexandria was nice but Cairo is the real place to visit. We went to the bazzar in Cairo, had dinner and did a little shopping. It was fun. Make sure to have a guide with you. DO NOT go alone. We always felt safe but then, we always had a guide with us. Remember that very few people speak English. The Marriott is amazing, wonderful, and a destination all to itself.

I had some of the same questions, but also....

Did all the rooms on the ship have sliding glass doors, or did some just have windows? How were the rooms - well insulated, or did you hear every noise? Which part of the boat would you recommend to hear the least amount of noise?

HOw were you all transported around? Several buses? Did it ever seem crowded? I've never done a large group tour before, and I'm a little hesitant about it.

I'm 44 years old - will I be the youngest on board? I get the feeling that I will be, which is ok. I prefer that to a lot of kids.THanks for your help, TRaveler 50!

All the rooms have sliding glass doors. Our ship, the MS Nile Dolphin was well insulated. You're transported in buses or vans depending on the number of people. The museum was crowed but it can't be helped. You won't be the youngest on board.

Seafun....Wonderful review. A real pleasure to read and hopefully someday I will be able to experence it first hand.... Its "My Dream" (you understand)...Thanks for sharing..........Debbie

Hi Mike ...LOL ..I am looking foward to your review also. :D