15 Day trip to Egypt - the travel notes, by Seafun

seafun

Since no one else seems brave enough to contribute to the "How foolish I looked in Egypt" category, LOL...

How about getting back to some of the pictures we all go to Egypt for...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_HU59QhRoM

I hope you enjoy them... And remember, most of us on this thread are available to try to answer any Egypt questions you might have -- regular or foolish! :D

A two hour show "The Lost Pyramid" about a fourth pyramid at Giza, is being shown again today. Very interesting.

On the History Channel, if you get it, today at 1pm Pacific and 4pm Pacific, or as they say, check your local listings.

I've already recorded it and watched most of it twice. :D

A two hour show "The Lost Pyramid" about a fourth pyramid at Giza, is being shown again today. Very interesting.

On the History Channel, if you get it, today at 1pm Pacific and 4pm Pacific, or as they say, check your local listings.

We saw that too and it was very interesting....enjoyed the "you tube" link to the pyramid clips too.

We are "outta here" in the morning to fly to London and then transfer to Southampton for the 12 day British Isles tour on Grand Princess...hope it's cooler there!...~Kay

What? You say you want some new Egypt DVD's to watch?

LOL, as if we didn't have enough... :rolleyes:

The Discovery Channel Store has a bunch on sale right now, some as low as $4.99. Here's the link if you'd like to look:

http://shopping.discovery.com/category-1_DVDBOOK/3_DVDBK_SUB_ANCIENTHISTORY-27985.html

I have "several" :o of these and they're pretty good. One of my favorite (and most inexpensive overviews of Egypt) is the "Seven Wonders of Ancient Egypt" for $6.99. Hope you find something you like. :)

When I was in Egypt, our guide insisted that over half of the temples, tombs, etc have yet to be discovered...or in the case of some, they have been discovered but not excavated because of all the expense. As he explained it, when it is buried in the sands it is perfectly preserved. But once exposed to the elements, it has to be maintained. Good point!

Also, as someone who's read a LOT of Egyptian history in my time, I'm slightly skeptical about the supposed lost pyramid. For a more critical take on the latest special, read this Newsweek story:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/141527

They suggest that it wasn't really "lost" and may not even be a "pyramid"! If you take their comments on board and watch the special again.....well, it does make one wonder.

(And couldn't you just tell that woman was not a historian....she sounded like a reporter from "Entertainment Tonight"!)

I appreciate the link to that article -- I found it very interesting, and a nice balance to the enthusiastic television program. (Although I still "eat up" any new program, if for nothing else other than the beautiful photography!)

And smeyer, I agree with you about Dr. Hawass and self-promotion. I've told friends for years that I think he has a calendar in his office premarked with the dates he'll announce all his "new discoveries" to lure more people to Egypt, LOL. :rolleyes:

Me, I'm personally ready to be lured back to Egypt any time! :D

For those of you with digital cable (and all those wonderful channels), I see that two allegedly new shows are on this coming Sunday July 13th on the DiscoveryHD channel (but not on the "regular" Discovery Channel). As they say, "check your local listings." ;)

"Egypt's Top Ten Greatest Discoveries" parts 1 and 2 - Host Dr. Zawi Hawass and a team of archaeologists select the 10 most important finds made in Egypt, including major battles and giant construction projects." (2008)

I don't think I've seen this one before, and I thought some of you might like the advance warning. It will be a marathon of shows that day, but I think these are the only new ones. :)

I looked at the Discovery Channel website and it looks like those 2 shows are also on the regular Discovery channel on Sunday night as well as a number of other Egyptian-themed shows such as The Sphynx Unmasked, The Mysterious Death of Cleopatra, and When Rome Ruled Egypt (what could be better: my two favorite ancient civilizations!!)

Here's a link. I think the times shown are Eastern Time.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-schedules/daily.html?date=20080713.195

I'm glad to see that the "regular Discovery Channel" will show them too. When I checked my listings last week they didn't show up there. This will make it accessible to a lot more people. :)

And on a humorous side note that you all will understand... I just booked a Caribbean cruise on HAL for November, but I have to tell you, I had two different Egypt trips (one with Petra added) open in another window, and it took ALL my strength to not choose to go back to Egypt again! :D

I figure I'll appreciate it more if I wait a little longer. But if any of you are thinking about it... and have read through this thread (for this long, lol) ... GO! DO IT! You will love it!

HPIM2522.jpg.84eadad96791a198abf6299a468d5374.jpg

How's that countdown coming??

You know we expect some kind of a report after your trip, and maybe some pictures, right? (LOL -- or at least smiling in a somewhat evil manner... :rolleyes: )

I'm sure you're getting more excited as the time draws nearer, and as "Martha" would say... "it's a Good Thing!" :D

I finally got time to watch the "Egypt's 10 Greatest Discoveries" -- well, the first half anyway. Oh my, my! :D VERY nice, beautiful photography, especially on my HD TV. :p

Anyway, if you missed that Discovery Channel show on TV, it is one of the videos available at the Discovery Channel store (link on my July 4 posting). I picked it up for $6.99, :eek: and it just got here today. Definitely a nice one to own -- especially for that price! What a great view of things you have seen, or will see in Egypt, -- beautiful photography!!

Say -- someone asked me on another thread if I'd ever heard of "thermals" in Egypt, that cause extreme turbulence during flights in very warm weather -- like to Abu Simbel. I've never read anything about it on these threads (but I'm sure it could happen in very hot weather.) Anyone else heard of or experienced it?

• 2 weeks later...

Seafun:

Thank you for your very descriptive report on Gate 1 Travel in Egypt.

You have convinced us to use them in March or April 2009 for the 15 day Egypt Excursion.

Question: Intra Egypt Air Travel, what types of aircraft were used (including the Aswan/Abu Simbel flight)?

Did you pre-book all of your optional tours?

Were there other tours offered that are not on the "pre-book tour list"?

What tours would you highly recommend.....or that others recommended that you did not take?

If you were to do it again what would you change?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Future Islander

a.k.a. Mike

I'm glad you found my postings on Egypt helpful, and that you've decided to visit. :)

Let's see if I can answer some of your questions...

"Airplanes in Egypt" -- They were all "regular" jets, no propellors or prop jets. I'm not sure if they were Airbus or 727's or 737's, but they looked and felt just like the planes we're used to here in the states. To Abu Simbel there were two seats on one side of the aisle and three on the other (best views from the left side, ahead of the wing).

"Prebooking excursions" -- I prebooked some, but not all of my optional excursions while I was still here in the U.S. I know that you need to pre-book the Abu Simbel trip from here, in advance, at least several weeks before you leave for Egypt. I added several excursions once we got there. Something to remember -- if you book them here in the States, you can't get a refund from the tour guides if you change your mind once you get there.

I believe that you can add on almost all the rest of the excursions in Egypt, (other than Abu Simbel) pretty much at the last minute if you want. I found that there were more excursions offered once we got to Egypt that were not offered in the brochures here, or on their website.

"Recommended optional tours"

Definitely sign up for the tours of the temples as you cruise the Nile (I think it was about $120.00 and included a LOT. All the temples, Karnak, Luxor, transportation to and from, a horse carriage ride, the Valley of the Kings, water taxi across the Nile, etc. etc. Very good value for all you get.

Definitely do the all day Cairo tour - pyramids, Sphinx, Egyptian museum, the bazaar, etc. $45.00??

Definitely do the hot air balloon ride in Luxor - about $90.00.

Definitely do the Bedouin Safari desert visit in the Hurghada area - (+/- $60.00?) trip to the desert, ATV, camel or horseback rides, dinner and a show, in their tents, in the desert, etc.

Definitely spend the money (about 240.00) for the trip to Abu Simbel. You'll ooh, you'll ahh, you'll thank yourself for the rest of your life! :D

The half day tour of Sakkara and Memphis. You'll have to prebook this one from the U.S. too, and make sure the travel agents have you on the early flight back to Cairo so you can do it. Sakkara (the step pyramid) and the temple area around it are fascinating and unlike anything else you'll see in Egypt.

Less recommended tours??

The sound and light show at the Pyramids. I did it, I liked it, (some don't) but it was a little cheesy and crowded. Still, the lighting and seeing the pyramids twice in one day -- once by day, once by night, and the moon rising behind them -- ultimately worth it. Thumbs up from me.

The monasteries tour -- Too long a bus ride, (3 hours, both out and back) for me to recommend, unless you are a huge fan of old, old religious art. Thumbs down.

The snorkeling trip to Giftun island -- in that area the coral is pretty broken up from years of visits. Water can be rough. Thumbs down.

I found the snorkeling from the hotel's private bay to be excellent and almost free ($10.00 mask, fin and snorkel rental at the hotel!)

Hmm.. I'm running out of steam, and my memory fails me at the moment. Here's a link to one of Gate 1's web pages with optional tours:

http://www.gate1travel.com/egypt-travel/egypt-tours-15degrs.aspx#

I really enjoyed the trip, and I'm sure you will too. Feel free to ask more questions, and I'll do my best to get them answered for you. :D

I guess Future Islander got his answers and left town, lol.

I saw a glimpse of the Egyptian soccer team on the Olympics coverage. The last time I saw them was the night they won the Africa Cup and I was on the Nile cruise and we were docked in Edfu. (wistful sigh... :rolleyes: )

I remember the streets of the small town going wild as people careened through town piled into cars, trucks, and whatever else they could drive, honk the horn or flash the lights! We had a front row seat to the festivities from our cruise ship moored across from one of the few restaurants with a television. It was jam-packed with people during the game and then a flood of people took to the streets celebrating with a great joyful noise. Another wonderful Egypt memory! :)