Why would you get red eyes from snorkeling?

I am just curious as to why you would get red eyes since the masks are supposed to be water-tight. I just read a thread about red eyes on Princess and this was suggested as one of the reasons. We have never snorkeled before, but will be trying it in May on our cruise. We did go out and buy our own snorkel equipment from a dive shop btw. Sorry if this is a silly question!:D

Thanks for the quick answer foneguy. I have just been reading all about the fog solutions and my bring some baby shampoo with me in case the spit doesn't work.lol:p

Hi,

A couple of other reasons:

1) your mask may leak slightly allowing salt water to get into your mask but not enough to cause you to purge it. As you move your head around tiny spashes may get into your eyes.

2) staring at the fish may reduce your blink response so things like contacts could get dried out causing irritation or red eye.

Randall

All the reasons listed are good but there's another. Some people get irritated just from being outdoors/sun. The heat/brightness of the sun with the blinking factor can cause them to get irritated. And being outdoors in general can cause them to get dry/irritated. Plus, being outside, you can get allergies that can cause irritation/red eyes. So there are numerous reasons. Bring some Normal Saline eye drops, no meds, just normal saline wash and if they get red, then flush them..... As always, check with your physician but that's what mine told me to do.... It helps.

aby shampoo is a good cleaner i use colgate toothpaste......rub it in make sure it is plaine tooth paste ) ans rinse out let air dry....no fogging..... i have not used baby shampoo but i hear it is good...no more tears:D

scubadives.gif

aby shampoo is a good cleaner i use colgate toothpaste......rub it in make sure it is plaine tooth paste ) ans rinse out let air dry....no fogging..... i have not used baby shampoo but i hear it is good...no more tears:D

scubadives.gif

Lol!:) Yes the lady that sold us the mask said to put toothpaste on for 24 hours then rinse it off before we used it for the first time. I was a little nervous to do this actually until I read that you all did this.

Thanks again for all your help.;)

Lol!:) Yes the lady that sold us the mask said to put toothpaste on for 24 hours then rinse it off before we used it for the first time. I was a little nervous to do this actually until I read that you all did this.

I don't see the use of the 24 hours, the purpose of the tooth paste is a soft grinding solution. Setting it on the lenses doesn't grind. :) I recommend you get some good "paste" toothpaste (no gel), get few paper towels, put a good dab on the lense and use a light circular motion to cover the entire lense for 2 minutes or so, rinse, repeat, both lenses inside and out. This removes the oil used during the mask's manufacturing process that causes the lense to fog very easily. You'll probably still need some type of anti-fog for the first few times out.

Randall

I use the white softscrub for the initial cleaning. Works better than toothpaste and lasts longer. Any good defog works, I personally use 500psi because I get it for free.

Dale

PADI OWSI

• 3 weeks later...
I use the white softscrub for the initial cleaning. Works better than toothpaste and lasts longer. Any good defog works, I personally use 500psi because I get it for free.

Dale

PADI OWSI

The soft scrub will work as well as toothpaste, make sure the lens is tempered glass. Cheap masks like BJ's, Costco... are plastic lens typically and softscub can scratch. If you use toothpaste, with Flouride, and I tell you this with 30+ years of diving experience your mask will not get cavities. I can't guarantee that if you use Softscrub.

The soft scrub will work as well as toothpaste, make sure the lens is tempered glass. Cheap masks like BJ's, Costco... are plastic lens typically and softscub can scratch. If you use toothpaste, with Flouride, and I tell you this with 30+ years of diving experience your mask will not get cavities. I can't guarantee that if you use Softscrub.

I personnally like toothpaste because of the the nice minty smell it leaves in your mask. :D

Randall

Archived