Cheaper Transportation in St. Thomas

cheflauraleh

I am looking for transportation that is less expensive than the taxi cabs that are located in the cruise terminal. I know it doesn't seem like much but after going to a beach and paying to get in, then going to CA, then back to the ship it all really adds up. What do you suggest? Should we do one of the tours that give you a 2 hour tour of the island, 2 hours shopping, and then 2 hours on the beach? Or is there some other transportation like a public bus that we can use? Thanks for all your help!

You absolutely can get cheaper transprotation (but the folks at the pier DO NOT want you to know about it). Despite what everyone at the pier will tell you (and they will lie to you), you can get local transportation for $2 per person in an open-air taxi. Simply walk out of the Havensight pier main gate, cross the street, turn left and walk until you get to the Bus Stop (there is a pullover area) across from K-Mart and cross the street so that you are standing on the K-Mart side of the street. It is a leisurely 10 to 15-minute level walk. When you see an open-air taxi drive up, flag him down, tell him where you wish to go and enjoy the trip.

Here are more of our Secrets of the Caribbean!

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

These are our very detailed personal reviews, hints, and tips for ports of call that you will be visiting.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=13759037&postcount=6

This is from someone on another thread. Some people don't mind the walk. I have two kids with me and we lug our beach stuff. So the walk (I think someone mentioned that it's a little over ten minutes) isn't practical. But it certainly is a much cheaper alternative. I'm paying $80 R/T for the four of us with Air Force One tours for transportation to and from Sapphire Beach. I do feel comfortable doing that and at least I'm saving something over what Carnival would charge us for a beach excursion.

cheflauraleh, Magens is the only beach with an admission fee, and that goes to maintain the facilities. All other beaches are free.

The $2 safaris travel a very limited route, but they do take you within walking distance of Coki and Sapphire beaches or St John ferry. The directions to the $2 safari stop posted on cruise critic are from Havensight dock. If your ship docks in Crown Bay, it's probably easier to take the $4 cab ride into town to take the $2 safari, and then take the $2 safari back to Crown Bay.

Liqstore: No carseats in St. Thomas. We look the public bus out to Red Hook and my husband [who isn't a "chicken"] refused to take it back, so we took the Charlotte Amelia ferry from Cruz Bay!! The buses are open-air, with bench seats and no seatbelts for anyone.

Archived