Upsells, capacity, and general NCL inquiry??

Cruisin250

Going on our first NCL this summer (Gem in June), I've done a little searching on the board but am still a little confused on NCL's upsell/upgrade policy. Does the upgrade fairy ever come? or do they just call to try to get you to upgrade? Is there anyway to tell how full our ship is?

We are very excited to embark on our first NCL cruise and just noticed something called 2.0 cruising?? It appears that I haven't been spending enough time cruise planning lately (shame on me!)

Any general NCL tips or major differences between Pricess/RCI that I will embrace?

Sorry for all the annoying questions, seems my CC search function is out of servied right now.

Thanks!!!

There is another thread or two going right now on Freestyle 2.0. NCL is spending 50 million on upgrading all their ships: better bedding, flags on the deck chairs for when you want a drink refill, menu changes and upgrades to room service menu, including lobster every night in some restaurant (pay or fee), glass of champagne upon embarkation, more shows being added. It is supposed to be in place this summer.

I found it helpful to go to the review section (on this page, on the orange banner at the top, at the far right you will see the word "reviews.") Put in the name of the ship you will be on and read recent reviews from other cruise critics. This will give you a general idea of how the ship is run and what's out there for you! There is also a professional review of your ship. It gives you an idea of varying our tastes are when you see one person rate his cruise 2 stars and someone else 6 stars!

Another Very helpful thing is the roll call forum. When you click Norwegian, then you will get a page with the name of all her ships. Click on yours and hunt for your date of sailing. You will meet other people who will sail with you. It is really nice to know someone before you board. They try to have a meet and greet so you'll see familiar faces during the cruise.

You might be interested to see the various activities that people are going to do in your particular ports of call. There are private tour companies not associated with the ship that sometimes offer the same tour for less $, and with fewer people. Read about them on ports of call board.

As I understand it, upgrades can be given in any category, and no one knows why! One theory is that at the last minute, new bookings are more apt to book the cheapest categories, so they move people currently in those categories up a little, and sell the "specials" to the newbies. An upgrade does not involve money. Just as if you booked an ocean view guarantee, you could get anything from ocean view or above on that fare.

Upsells are just as mysterious, but possibly based on the same idea. So most upsells you hear about on cruise critic are for the highest categories. It sounds as if they are very efficient at this. Do not call them. They will email or call you or your travel agency if you are picked for an upsell. You are the one who has to decide if the price is right.

You are not at all annoying. We all were first time cruisers once upon a time. I just tried to point you in some directions you may not have stumbled across on these boards.

Any general NCL tips or major differences between Pricess/RCI that I will embrace?

Just wanted to add that of course the major differences will be freestyle dining. No set dinner times. If you look at the details on the ship on the NCL site and/or read up on the boards about the different restaurants (some cost extra and some are free but need reservations), you'll know ahead of time if there are any you want to dine in. Reservations can be made for that day or the following, either by calling or stopping by a reservation desk while onboard.

Of course the main dining rooms and some places don't require reservations, you just show up at whatever time to eat. But be aware that you have that 'popular' dining time of say 6:00 to 7:30 and there may be a wait, especially if the ship is full. Knowing this ahead of time will make it less frustrating when you're on the ship.:) If you are in a suite, the concierge or butler will be able to make reservations for you.

Have a grand time!:)

Archived