NEWS: Fern Grotto recovery

spleen93

Well, the reason for the decline of the Fern Grotto has become clear. See what they're doing to restore the beauty of the grotto and how it may become a better tourist attraction in the future. For full details, read [url="http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2004/Sep/25/ln/ln05a.html"]here[/url].

Spleen

Pebbles and I did the Fern Grotto trip when we were on the Star in February, and the guide on the "Smith" boat told us the same thing, regarding the plantation and the water source. It is gratifying to read that the folks are doing their best to restore the original beauty of the grotto. :)

An interesting side note, an older couple standing next to us in the cave asked us to take their picture, and they moved to the side of the cave... I asked them why there (wasn't much of a back-drop) and they said, "This is the exact spot where we got married 30 years ago, so this spot is pretty special for us..." :D

They made our day....

And as always Spleen (and Ahibunny), you make everyone's day!!! :D

I'm with BamBam (havent seen his name in a while) - mahalo Spleen. Thanks for sharing this article, I loved it! Its great that these folks are taking the time and securing funds to save this spot for future generations to enjoy! We first visited in 1996 and the ferns were doing quite well then. We have had the opportunity to go back and visit Smiths many times and I adore going to feed the peacocks and see their botanical garden. Thanks again Spleen for all the wonderful work that you do.

Archived