first report from the Gem...spring break cruise....EEK!

kanitster

Mbisson and NMNita are correct of course. The capacity for Gem is 2348. It does not matter how the cabins are filled. Getting consistent misinformation from crew is not at all unusual!

Bill

i think that the more appropriate phrase would be "running at full capacity." during spring break you get the college crowd looking to reduce their cost by filling the cabin to its maximum capacity. any other time during the year, most people will purchase two cabins. what it boils down to is that the ships cabins sell out at double occupancy, which will make the ship less crowded. the ship has a maximum number of passengers that are allowed to sail. this number is calculated with every cabin at its fullest capacity (like at spring break). so if you cruise away from spring break the ship may have all the cabins sold, but the number of passengers will be much lower.

Sorry that the OP is having a rough time of it but happy for the posting. Moral of the story, if you don't want to be on a cruse with a bunch of rowdy young adults (I assume they were adults if they were drinking) stay away from Feb, Mar and Apr. There is more than one reason for lower fares in these months.

I hope things improve for the OP.

There were 1.8 million college students on Spring break last week and over 2 million this week. Our public schools are off next week. Looks like the coast (and the ships) will be clear in April.

Unless its April 20-27, thats when New England K-12 schools have spring break and I am headed to Myrtle Beach and a lot of people will be going to Florida and the cruise ships.

There were 1.8 million college students on Spring break last week and over 2 million this week. Our public schools are off next week. Looks like the coast (and the ships) will be clear in April.

I should have said there probably won't be too many "college" Spring breakers in April.

I should have said there probably won't be too many "college" Spring breakers in April.
you are right, this in the number 1 week for college spring breakers, last week was number 2 and then next week. I am not certain any major colleges and universities get April off anymore. I could be wrong, but graduation is always in May, compared to mid June when I was in college and spring break falls a couple of months before classes are out.

Nita

Amjdcm, I believe you are mistaken. While each cabin has a maximum occupancy, the maximum ship capacity is not the sum of these. In fact, the term full capacity is used in a number of different ways.

First, it should be noted that the cruise line industry has been touting that most of its cruises are operating at full capacity. This is especially true for newer vessels like the Gem, which probably has not yet had a cruise not at full capacity. Oddly enough, it is difficult to get a single figure on what this means. Some web sits indicate the Gem has 1233 cabins, some say 1197, some 1179. I have no idea why there is this discrepancy, unless there is confusion between the Gem and its sisters Pearl, Jewel and Jade. Perhaps the exact configuration of the Gem is still undergoing changes.

In referring to passenger capacity, most will double this and call it passenger capacity, or guest capacity, or even maximum number of passengers. Some are more explicit and say "guest capacity (double occupancy)." However, ships operating at capacity will presumably exceed that number, obviously as long as the number of guest rooms with 3 or more passengers exceeds the number with single occupancy -- or, more exactly, the respective totals do. However, ships have quite separate maximum capacities based on safety issues. Even more so, they have maximums on numbers of passengers in a particular section of the ship. And no, it is not like a canoe where there is fear of too many passengers on one side! It is a lifeboat issue, since lifeboat assignment is by cabin and not by passenger. So, for example, even if all the cabins between Aloha 201 and Aloha 241 allowed for a third or fourth passenger, the reservation system will not allow this, as the assigned lifeboat would otherwise be over-occupied.

CruiseCritic members have run into this, when their cabins are re-assigned and parts of their extended group with extra occupants in their cabins are no longer in adjacent cabins, reportedly because a local maximum occupancy would be exceeded.

As far as the Gem goes, one web site reports its number of cabins as 1233, and its maximum occupancy as: 2466(min)/2800(max). Rather odd to be referring to a minimum maximum, but of course what is meant is that double occupancy would give a passenger total of 2466, but the maximum permitted by naval authorities is 2800. Over spring break, it is quite likely that the max maximum, 2800, was reached with extra students jammed into cabins up to the limit allowed for the ship as a whole. Because the Gem is so popular, it undoubtedly has operated at full capacity in all its other weeks as well, I would guess above 2500, but in any case not 500 less than its maximum full capacity.

Bill

i think that the more appropriate phrase would be "running at full capacity." during spring break you get the college crowd looking to reduce their cost by filling the cabin to its maximum capacity. any other time during the year, most people will purchase two cabins. what it boils down to is that the ships cabins sell out at double occupancy, which will make the ship less crowded. the ship has a maximum number of passengers that are allowed to sail. this number is calculated with every cabin at its fullest capacity (like at spring break). so if you cruise away from spring break the ship may have all the cabins sold, but the number of passengers will be much lower.

I suspect that the maximum allowed on this ship is somewhere between the double capacity figure and the figure of filling each cabin to it's maximum. As mentioned above (by billie5), I have also seen reports of people who have reported being in a cabin that had 4 beds, but they couldn't fill them all because the ships "allowed capacity" had been reached. That said, I suspect that it would be more common that during spring break, a ship would be closer to it's allowed capacity than it normally would (for the reason you state)

I think part of it rests with the # of lifeboat seats available (again as billie5 said) AND I'm certain they aren't allowed to exceed that (thank God). And I understand it's normal to have more beds on a ship than lifeboat seats-they just aren't allowed to fill them beyond that # of life boats seats.

Theoretically, a ship could be "full" and still have empty cabins.

I suspect that the maximum allowed on this ship is somewhere between the double capacity figure and the figure of filling each cabin to it's maximum. As mentioned above (by billie5), I have also seen reports of people who have reported being in a cabin that had 4 beds, but they couldn't fill them all because the ships "allowed capacity" had been reached. That said, I suspect that it would be more common that during spring break, a ship would be closer to it's allowed capacity than it normally would (for the reason you state)

I think part of it rests with the # of lifeboat seats available (again as billie5 said) AND I'm certain they aren't allowed to exceed that (thank God). And I understand it's normal to have more beds on a ship than lifeboat seats-they just aren't allowed to fill them beyond that # of life boats seats.

Theoretically, a ship could be "full" and still have empty cabins.

you are right and this is where it gets confusing for some.

Nita

you are right and this is where it gets confusing for some.

Nita

Thanks Nita-I'm often not positive of things I'm sure of ;) and I'm sometimes easily confused myself, so confirmation is appreciated

To add more info, and make things even more confusing, is each lifeboat section on the ship is limited too. Each cabin is assigned to a particular lifeboat almost on a permanent basis. Permanent because the signs on the back of each cabin door is attached permanently , and the lifejackets in every cabin are usually stenciled permanently.

If that lifeboat is filled, no more passengers can be placed into the lifeboat, therefore no more cabins in that area of the ship can be sold. But cabins in another area of the ship where the lifeboats aren't full can still be sold.

The last thing you and the cruise lines wish is to break up families into different life boats.

The last thing you and the cruise lines wish is to break up families into different life boats.

Ron, I'll only assume that you don't know my family ;) (kidding folks, just kidding-I actually love "most" of my family LOL)

First let me say that I certainly didn't mean to start up such a debate over the number of passengers on board...lol But having been on several other cruises with NCL (one being last January on the Gem) I know there are many more people than that cruise...or any other I've been on.

That being said...Just want to say I had a wonderful birthday yesterday.

We had reservations at Cagney's. It was a great dinner. The wait staff was terrific! They brought a birthday cake and sang Happy Birthday to me. We then went to the Star bar to listen to some soft guitar music and a have a few drinks, then on to Spinnaker for the second city adult show. Laughed so hard my side hurt. It was a great night and not one I'll forget. Spinnakers was so crowded for that show people were sitting on the floors!! The poor waitstaff were running to keep up with drink orders...they really do deserve extra tips for this cruise...lol.

Most of the k-12 schools in ga. are on spring break the 1st full week in april.

Mine are, and we'll be on the Jewel! :D

I'm actually hoping for a lot of kids on this cruise so my girls will have plenty of new friends to play with.

We just returned from the Gem today also. I really did not have the same "overcrowded" experience. We never waited to get into Grand Pacific or Magenta. We also ate at Tequila and LeBistro and had no problems getting reservations. We do have young children so we were probably looking to eat a little earlier than you were. I agree that the buffet was very overcrowded but we were always able to get a table and at breakfast the staff carried our plates for us and then found us a table. The only time I really thought the ship seemed crowded was on Thursday when the ship was leaving Freeport. Because it was such a nice day it seemed like everyone was near the pool. This was the only day we couldn't get a lounger near the pool and had to go up one deck. Of course all the chairs cleared up as soon as everyone saw the giant rain cloud!

We just returned from the Gem today also. I really did not have the same "overcrowded" experience. We never waited to get into Grand Pacific or Magenta. We also ate at Tequila and LeBistro and had no problems getting reservations. We do have young children so we were probably looking to eat a little earlier than you were. I agree that the buffet was very overcrowded but we were always able to get a table and at breakfast the staff carried our plates for us and then found us a table. The only time I really thought the ship seemed crowded was on Thursday when the ship was leaving Freeport. Because it was such a nice day it seemed like everyone was near the pool. This was the only day we couldn't get a lounger near the pool and had to go up one deck. Of course all the chairs cleared up as soon as everyone saw the giant rain cloud!

Hi, I'm curious what you did in Freeport with your kids. We'll be there from 7a to 1p with a 4 year old.

Hi everyone,

We just returned last evening from a glorious week at sea on the Gem. As far as the spring breakers go, we didn't find them to be too bad. To be quite honest some of the younger children (probably around 11-14) were more annoying than the spring breakers - running through the halls and stairwells unsupervised! I'm not that fussy - we were cruising with our 10, 14, and 17 year olds and they are by no means perfect; but, my son (14 year old) did meet up with a group of about four other boys his age and was permitted to "hang out" with them as long as he checked in every hour - either by phone or in person. One time we did catch him and his buddies running in the halls and stairwells and quickly put an end to it. Fortunately, the other parents were also nearby and all had the same feeling about letting the boys run through the ship. After our little "talk" with the boys, we had no more problems with them.

Anyway .. . as far as the spring breakers, we found them to be polite and fairly well behaved. Of course there were a few who were rowdy, impolite, and used foul language; however, overall they were not that big of a problem. We were sailing with my parents, who are in their upper sixties, and they weren't bothered by them either. Our only complaint was that they did monopolize the hot tubs - especially later in the day/evening. However, if you got to the pool early, most of them were still in bed. I can't even imagine though what some of their bills were for alcohol. It always seemed that they had a bottle of beer in their hands or a glass of something. However, none ever seemed to be visibly drunk.

The buffet was indeed a madhouse at prime eating times. At times it was difficult to find a table, especially for 7 people. However, we always were able to find seating on deck at the back of the ship at the Great Outdoors. It was a little walk back to the buffet if you wanted more to eat; but, they also had great food right there at the Great Outdoors. The selection of course was not as great as in the Garden Cafe, but it was fine for that second, third, fourth . . . trip for more food! We were always able to find a nice little quiet table in that area.

We ate at Tequila two times and the first time were in and out in 45 minutes. The second time it took 2 hours! There were many more people there the second time - not sure why, but it took forever! My son kept saying he was going to leave and to the Garden Cafe. However, he hung in there with the rest of us and once we finally received our food, it was worth the wait. We only did the Grand Pacific two times. My parents did Cagney's one evening and said the food was great - the service was wonderful as well - sometimes too wonderful, almost as though there was always someone "hovering" over you to make sure you had everything you needed.

Our cabins were 4560 and 4564, oceanview forward. Although it was great being on the same deck where we disembark for the ports, it was sometimes a bit noisy. Our one cabin was right beside the gangway and one particular morning, there was a constant line of people right outside of our cabin for a half hour or more waiting to get off the ship. The day we spent two days at Nassau - because of not being to get off at Great Stirrup Cay (the seas were too rough for the tenders to run), there were people boarding the ship at all hours of the first night from nighttime to morning. The ones who boarded between 2 and 6 am were a little rowdy - I think they had been out all night drinking. Don't get me wrong, the cabins are amazingly soundproof, but you could still hear quite a bit - although not enough to ruin by entire night's sleep. I'm a very light sleeper and hear everything!

Sorry this has gotten so long - I'll write more later, but it's time to get set for Easter Sunday and the kids are still in bed. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. Since our family ranged in age from 10 years to 68 years, we can give opinions from several different age ranges.

Overall, it was a great time and we hated to leave the ship - especially when the temp. was 36 degrees when we got to NYC and it had been 86 degrees in Freeport! No wonder I'm sick this morning!!!!!!!:p :D :o :eek:

Julie

Hi, I'm curious what you did in Freeport with your kids. We'll be there from 7a to 1p with a 4 year old.

To be honest, I thought Freeport was a waste. The port area is not nice to look at and you have to take a taxi to go anywhere. We did not book a shore excursion so we just took a cab to the straw market/beach. It was $5pp each way. It was nice in that area and the kids enjoyed the beach (2 boys, 10 and 8). We did a little shopping and then spent the rest of the time on the beach. We saw quite a few lizards running around the sidewalks and the kids loved chasing them. We were back on the ship by 1:00 and went to the pool.

To be honest, I thought Freeport was a waste. The port area is not nice to look at and you have to take a taxi to go anywhere. We did not book a shore excursion so we just took a cab to the straw market/beach. It was $5pp each way. It was nice in that area and the kids enjoyed the beach (2 boys, 10 and 8). We did a little shopping and then spent the rest of the time on the beach. We saw quite a few lizards running around the sidewalks and the kids loved chasing them. We were back on the ship by 1:00 and went to the pool.

I have heard Freeport isn't much. As for the port area not being much to look at, most are not though they have gotten somewhat better in the past 10 years. They all used to be really ugly.

Nita

Sorry that the OP is having a rough time of it but happy for the posting. Moral of the story, if you don't want to be on a cruse with a bunch of rowdy young adults (I assume they were adults if they were drinking) stay away from Feb, Mar and Apr. There is more than one reason for lower fares in these months.

I hope things improve for the OP.

This is interesting since we were on an RCCL ship last week with our High School aged daughter and although there were many teens, we saw very few college aged spring breakers although in the Midwest, colleges were on Spring Break as well. The rates on RCCL this time of year are much more expensive and I did not realize NCL's were lower. I was considering taking NCL next March for an extended family Spring Break but certainly do not want to be among drinking college students with my mother, daughter, and middle school aged neices and nephews. Now that I think about it, we ran into some drunk college girls in GC on our bus who were going back to their NCL ship.

Boy, are you ever good about posting as soon as you're back! Thanks! We're going on the 4/12 for a week. Oldest is 11. Any info re: kids club would be welcome. He especially wants to know about free access to arcade, climbing wall, bowling, etc.

Archived