Spent 10ys in HK if anyone needs any help

coxswain

We are trying to schedule an overnight in Xian post-cruise. I just received a response email from the Sofitel hotel regarding private guide. They offer an all-day tour to see the Warriors, Huaqing Hot Spring, and Emperor Qin Shi Huang Tomb. The one thing we really want to see is the Warriors, the rest is not as important. We will only need a 1/2 day tour because we are planning to sightsee after we fly from Beijing to Xian that morning. Unfortunately, they require payment for a full-day tour whether or not we use the guide and driver for the full day. However, fortunately, it is not horribly expensive. Nonetheless, I would prefer to pay for what I get. Does anyone know of a reliable driver and English-speaking guide (very good English, please) that is willing to plan a private tour for only a 1/2 day? We also need them to meet us at the airport. I put out this "feeler" on tripadvisor.com, and I have received a number of emails directly from guides wanting to provide their services. Without a personal recommendation, however, I do not want to hire an unknown. Anybody have a guide and driver to recommend in Xian?

JJ -- Are you really coming to Southern California? Here is an amazing story. Two years ago, we were in the Baltics and I had the most wonderful tour guide in St. Petersburg. As I'm sure you can well imagine, I planned this trip well in advance, too. This guide and I were emailing with each other for almost 9 months. When we finally met in St. P., we were immediate friends. We had such a wonderful time together, that the following spring, she came to visit us in Malibu, CA! I became her tour guide for a week in L.A. It was a whirlwind, and we had tons of fun. I can probably dig up my itinerary for L.A. if that will help you when the time comes. If you need it, email me at: shelleyville@aol.com.

Shelley

Day 6 - Macau

Depends where you're staying

Ferry services operate to Macau Maritime Ferry Terminal on the Macau Peninsula from;

Hong Kong Island (Hong Kong Macau Ferry Terminal at Sheung Wan)

Kowloon (China Ferry Terminal, Tsim Sha Tsui)

Pay the extra and go 1st class lol ( only a few dollars more )

Visitors of nearly all nationalities can enjoy a visa free stay of between 30 and 90 days. So you'll have to take your passport with you ( you leave and re-enter HK )

We visited the old Protestant Cemetery - Ruins of St Pauls - the famous square - check this walking tour http://www.macauheritage.net/mherit/map/mhmapE.asp

After lunch we headed to Cotai Strip - The New Las Vegas its going to be amazing.

http://www.venetianmacao.com/en/home.aspx

Please plan for lengthly waits at Border/Customs Control arriving and leaving Macau.

And so you'll know me when ever we bump into each - here is a link to our HK photos

http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg202/belfast-jj/

jj......

Again, John, thank you so much. My husband will be extremely happy with Day 6! He has voiced his desire to see Macau, and now, I can keep him happy. Thanks for the photos -- you have a beard just like my husband! I can send you a picture of us, too, but I will need my husband's help in doing that. You know, the "technologically challenged" thing. I have printed off all of your itineraries, and I'm ready for Hong Kong. I just hope Hong Kong is ready for me!

Shelley

Have you been to the New Territories? I was reading about them, and some of the villages sound interesting. I'm a little worried about taking the train and having to connect to other trains. I don't want to get lost in China forever! What is your opinion of these "out of town" excursions?

Shelley

John --

I just read a description of the Nunnery in Frommer's, and they don't seem to push it unless you are an "architect, East Asian scholar, or gardener." I'm afraid I don't qualify -- I don't even have a "green thumb." What did you find so special?

Shelley

My question re transportation to the New Territories wasn't particularly for the horse racing. I've been reading that there are some very cool villages to visit where we can really see how the Chinese live in the traditional sense. However, the directions that I have read seem rather intimidating. Also, I worry about the language barrier. Does anyone there speak English? I do need to get back from China to my 3 daughters in the USA, and from these directions and lack of Chinese it looks like I may not! Any experience with this?

Shelley

We are trying to schedule an overnight in Xian post-cruise. I just received a response email from the Sofitel hotel regarding private guide. They offer an all-day tour to see the Warriors, Huaqing Hot Spring, and Emperor Qin Shi Huang Tomb. The one thing we really want to see is the Warriors, the rest is not as important. We will only need a 1/2 day tour because we are planning to sightsee after we fly from Beijing to Xian that morning. Unfortunately, they require payment for a full-day tour whether or not we use the guide and driver for the full day. However, fortunately, it is not horribly expensive. Nonetheless, I would prefer to pay for what I get. Does anyone know of a reliable driver and English-speaking guide (very good English, please) that is willing to plan a private tour for only a 1/2 day? We also need them to meet us at the airport.P.,

You might be able to arrange a half-day tour with Beijing Service [e-mail Tansy@beijingservice.com]. They have been very accomodating in personalizing our October visit to Shanghai. Their web site details a full day in Xian [and up to 6 days in the area!], but they may be able to help.

coxswain - Thank you for compiling and sharing all that information. We will have 3 1/2 days in HKG pre-cruise in October (first visit to HGK) and I will try and condense your recommendations to suit. Will also peruse your photos as soon as I have a chance.

• 10 months later...

Hi, John --

How are you? I just saw your posting and thought I'd send my greetings. Our trip to China is almost here! We leave for Hong Kong on March 21, and I'm finally prepared thanks to all of your help. I can't believe we've been planning this for a year, it's finally time. I'll let you know how it goes when I get back.

Hope you're having some fun travels.

Shelley:)

Aww Shelley how are you ? I hope you have a great trip we always think of the great time we had in HK - friendly people amazing sights.

We're doing fine - we were due to go a repo cruise from Singapore to Dubai but we cancelled it and i'm sure you can see we've two cruises booked on the Brilliance around the Med - we can't wait.

Take care and have a great trip - just in all the amazing sights/sounds/smells lol

jj........