Did something terrible happen on the Freedom?

Hotfire

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families. I have experienced the loss of a child and in the blink of an eye your whole world changes. My DD had a heart defect and died in a hospital bed due to human medical error not from her congenital heart defect. Your life changes in an instant.......

So they have determined that she wasn't a nut case and didn't have and emotional issues in the first place? Gimmie a break.

Of course not. She obviously had issues. But seriously, nut case or not, if you were the boyfriend, you wouldn't feel like you caused it in some way? I highly doubt any of us is truly capable of walking away saying "she's a nut case, no skin off my back" if we were in the BF's shoes. I'm not saying the boyfriend IS responsible...only she is responsible for her actions. I'm speculating that he feels some sort of guilt for what happened because I know I would in his shoes, and I suspect 99% of people would as well. I'm simply stating that the poor guy must be going through hell. You give me a break.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families. I have experienced the loss of a child and in the blink of an eye your whole world changes. My DD had a heart defect and died in a hospital bed due to human medical error not from her congenital heart defect. Your life changes in an instant.......

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Wait a minute, I was on this cruise. How come I didn,t hear about the girl overboard. Wouldn,t the ship stop, search lights, there are cameras everywere. This would have been a major news story on CNN. I did hear about the 10 year old. Vere sad.

Wait a minute, I was on this cruise. How come I didn,t hear about the girl overboard.

I think it was on the Costa Mediterranea. It is on the "Events at Sea" site.

March 9-- 39-year-old woman who became angry with her boyfriend reportedly jumped off the ship at 11:56 PM Saturday night. The ship had left Port everglades earlier on a 7 day cruise of the western Caribbean. The Coast Guard was notified at 1:18AM on Sunday, prompting a search for her in the Florida Keys. The unnamed woman jumped overboard about 20 miles southeast of Key Largo. The ship's port call at Key West for the day was cancelled.

Of course it was stupid. However, put yourself in his shoes. Whatever he did or didn't do to tick her off led to her jumping off the ship. I personally would always question what I could have done differently if I apologized, stopped her, didn't do whatever in the first place. What she did was selfish, but he has to live with her decision.

This is why they call suicide the selfish way out. It only hurts the ones left behind.

I am very sorry for your loss and can only imagine the pain. I am sure it never goes away.

This "girl" was a 39 year old woman who should have known better.. if she jumped. I feel for her parents as they are questioning the whole incident. She was afraid of heights, so her jumping would have been highly unlikely unless she was intoxicated.

You don't know if this girl was mentally ill. She may not have "known better".

Normal people don't just jump off ships.

It's unfair to label someone, such as "selfish" when you are not in their shoes.

I am not saying she did not have "help". What I am saying is... you can't be pushed from a cruise ship, like one might get pushed into a pool. There are guards/railing everywhere. I have yet to see any place on any crusie ship the Pax can go that if pushed one would just fall off the ship. There is always a railing or some such you must go over, never just a bare edge with a drop off.

One of the cruise ships I was on (don't remember which one) had long oval windows that swiveled to an open position from a center pivot point out on the open part of the Lido deck by the main pool. These windows went almost to the floor and someone could have easily fallen out.

That was at least 4 or 5 years ago, so maybe all of those type safety hazards have been fixed, I haven't been on any of the older ships in a while.

As to the original poster, I think they were talking about the 10 year old girl. If anyone knows where more info about what might have happened to her is could you please post it.. Thanks in advance. :)

They are from our town, my daughter (gr 10) is in the older brother's class. My daughter says she was a really sweet child. The following is what my daughter has told me from the announcements made at the school that the child attended. She apparently had an enlarged heart, got sick while on the cruise, contracted an infection and her heart stopped. So very sad and a difficult time for the family.

They are from our town, my daughter (gr 10) is in the older brother's class. My daughter says she was a really sweet child. The following is what my daughter has told me from the announcements made at the school that the child attended. She apparently had an enlarged heart, got sick while on the cruise, contracted an infection and her heart stopped. So very sad and a difficult time for the family.

So very sad.......I will say prayers for her and her family. Thank you for the information.

Archived