Sydney

We don't really want to rent a car, and I'm trying to avoid ship's excursions if possible. Is there good public transportation near the pier? Attractions within walking distance? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

I am not clear if you are coming to Victoria on the BC Ferries at Swartz Bay or the WA State ferry at Sydney. Regardless, yes Victoria has a good transit system and here is their link. If you are coming from Vancouver a consideration would be to use Pacific Coach Lines and I am providing a link for them as well.

http://www.bctransit.com/regions/vic/

http://www.pacificcoach.com/

Hang on a moment. Sydney is either in Australia or Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. Sidney is on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. The answer to your question depends on which one!:)

Graham.

Good point however as he posted on the Canada board I would think that Australian one is eliminated. But you are correct I forgot about Sydney, NS and I believe that some of the cruises ie Canada/New England do make a stop in Sydney,NS, I am not sure why ..... but they do. Ok, I take that back, there is the Fortress of Louisbourg!

Yeah, geography was never my strong point, but I'm pretty sure that Sydney, Australia isn't in Canada. :rolleyes:

I considered the Fortress, but DH wasn't too excited about it. :(

Keep 'em coming, guys!!!:)

I am guessing from your response that you are looking for information on Sydney, NS. If that is the case I would have to tell you that it has been 10 years since I was there. It is an an old coal and steel town where both of those industries have shut down. It is not exactly a glamerous town. The two things that I would recommend would be driving at least a portion of the Cabot Trail and frankly having been to the Fortress of Louisbourg, I would go back in a heartbeat. The Canadian Government has turned it into a make work project and have done a fabulous job with the restoration and the whole presentation.

Archived