Traveling with son's friend...document needed?

Huey

We're bringing my son's bf (they're both 17). Wondering if just a note from the mother was enough documentation? When I asked my pvp when booking she said that they didn't require one.

But when I just called to double check, the rep on the phone told me they require a note that is notarized. We're leaving in 3 days and I only have a note - no notary.

What has been your experience?? Thanks for sharing!

Laura

I found the form on another website, just printed it out and will have the parents sign it and get it notarized...let me look back in my records and I'll get you that website...be right back!!:)

Hi...I'm back and found the website. It's seauonboard.com and the 1st option on the left side of the main webpage is Cruise 101 - The Basics.

Choose this option and then click on the option Parental Authorization Sample Forms...just print the document you need, have it signed by the other parents, notarized, and you're all set!!

We're bringing my son's bf (they're both 17). Wondering if just a note from the mother was enough documentation? When I asked my pvp when booking she said that they didn't require one.

But when I just called to double check, the rep on the phone told me they require a note that is notarized. We're leaving in 3 days and I only have a note - no notary.

Laura

It must be notorized! Why is you son bringing a bf? Or do you just mean a friend that is a boy.

We took our daughters friend (11yrs old) on our last cruise and I printed a consent for minor to travel form off the internet, had it notorized and then I made sure we had her birth cert. It's not getting on the ship that is the problem is getting back from the cruise. We pretty much just walked her on but when we returned they really checked out the paper work.....

Hope this helps!:rolleyes:

Laura

You can probably have the note notarized at your bank.. His mother may have to have it done

I think the OP is the coolest parent. If all teenagers have parents as caring and non-judgement as the OP, I think the world will be a much better place. For those of you who hasn't get it. Just leave it alone and rest assure that the OP is doing something real cool.

What does OP stand for?

The bf means best friend. I'm not too good at acronyms...didn't think about it standing for boyfriend. I wouldn't mind anyway. He's a great kid & son.

Anyway. Thanks so much for your help and advise. FYI - I did some searching and found this on the Carnival website:

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

So it seems it needs to only be notarized if we're heading to Mexico. We're not.

Thanks again.

Laura

Getting back into the country is where questions will be asked.

I had no idea of these kind of rules. They even apply to One parent travelling with the child. My family - Me, DW, DS, DD - went to Grand Cayman to visit and got a great rate on Standby plane tickets thru Delta. All went well on the flight down. But there is only one delta flight to the U. S. per day. When we tried to leave at the last possible moment they pulled me and my son off the plane. We stayed an extra day and flew home the next day.

The U.S. customs and immigration folks really questioned me hard about where my son's mother was. I had to explain it to 2 officers and a supervisor - and this was for my OWN child. But, I was glad to know they were on the job.

It depends.

If you are booked with a group - the rules are different as there are chaperones responsible for a number of kids.

If booked individual, they are more relaxed. The child has to be booked in the cabin with the responsible adult, but nothing more.

As a parent though, I have obtained a medical release for the person who's care my daughter will be in.

Even a notarized letter does not cover that.

What does OP stand for?

The bf means best friend. I'm not too good at acronyms...didn't think about it standing for boyfriend. I wouldn't mind anyway. He's a great kid & son.

Anyway. Thanks so much for your help and advise. FYI - I did some searching and found this on the Carnival website:

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

So it seems it needs to only be notarized if we're heading to Mexico. We're not.

Thanks again.

Laura

Hi, I was told by my travel agent that the reason you should bring this notarized form is in case something happens to this child on the cruise that you have the authority to make some decisions, as the parents are not there!!

Is it really anyone's business if it is a boyfriend?

My thought at the ? too!:confused:

For peace of mind and to make sure nothing goes wrong, I would have both parents sign it at your/their back or were ever to have it notorized.

Personal experience, I travel with my DD's with their stepfather and not letter from bio father and was never asked.

Archived