Amalfi coast - Francesco Marrapese or Marcello Maresca?

LeslieSJ

We just toured with Marcello last week and I have to agree with the other positive reviews.

The thing I loved most was that Marcello actually grew up in the area so can give you a personal insight as to what the Amalfi Coast was like before "Sorrento blew up with tourists" (as he put it!). He had me in fits of laughter all day with comments such as that.

We also forwent Pompei so that Marcello could take us to the villa which is just being excavated and are very glad we did. Given that we had had three strenuous days previously (Barcelona, Cannes, Rome) we were pleased to get a thorough explanation of that time period but on a smaller scale and being the only visitors on the site. Magical!

Lunch was absolutely fantastic.

I would highly recommend Marcello if you are flexible and willing to allow him to give you the best tour of the authentic Amalfi Coast.

We have used Francesco and he is an excellent driver and knows the Amalfi Coast. They all stop at that roadside stall as it is the location of a fantastic view. They all stop at the ceramics shop, but it is a tourist rip off and you can skip it if you desire.Francesco will answer all your questions, he has a pleasant personality and will fit in with your requirements that includes stopping at a wonderful place at Ravello for lunch (at your expense). He even stopped especially so that I could take a photo of Gore Vidal's former house and will point out the houses and hotels of the rich and famous if you are interested.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
Any recent reviews for Francesco ?

We recently hired Francesco for a tour of the Amalfi coast. The tour was wonderful. He was prompt in picking us up a the dock. We chose Francesco because of the reviews on this site, promptness in responding to e-mails, and his willingness to customize a tour.

Francesco took us to Pompei (only official guides can take you thorugh Pompei, so we toured this on our own with guidebooks - worked out well). Then we went to Sorrento and Positano, stopping at several viewpoints. He was polite in answering all of our questions and communicated well.

He drove us to a great local restaurant for lunch - it was off the beaten path so was very authentic.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with Francesco.

Archived