Kichwa Tembo safari questions

gerena

Am going to Kichwa Tembo as part of a HAL safari. I'm assuming tent--not luxury.

I read somewhere on these boards that in April it can be cool at nights. Does anyone have experience with this?

I also read that dress for dinner is "more than casual." What does that mean?

On the CCAfrica website it says that the classic tents "do not have plug points or safe facilities. (both are available at the reception.) Does this mean that if we need to use a hairdryer or curling iron that we can borrow from the reception or go there to use them.

Hi,

I have not stayed at Kichwa, but I have been to the Mara many times, and in April, and I also have stayed at other CC Africa's. It will be cool in the evenings, and cold in the mornings. Layer. I usually bring pants for the evenings and morning game drives, and then have a t shirt or long sleeve shirt, and a fleece or sweatshirt. The trucks will provide blankets for the morning drives, usually. Dinner is causual...pants, polo, fleece or jacket is what I usually wear. Don't worry about the dress at dinner, you are in the bush! Have fun on the drives and take your time to watch the animal's behavior. If you really like the game drives, ask to have breakfast brought with you so you can stay out on the Mara longer while all the other trucks are headed back to camp. I also usually bring a light weight rain jacket, especially in April.

Jambo!

I haven't stayed at Kichwa Tembo since 2002, but the accomodations are relatively luxurious for tents. When I was there, standard accomodation consisted of a large tent on a concrete pad with overhead rainfly. My tent was furnished two twin beds, night stands with lamps, desk and chairs, wardrobe, throw rugs, and separate bathroom with natural rock shower. Outside the tent entrance was a small veranda with chairs and table. It was very comfortable and quite nice.

It does get cool at night, but your steward will probably tuck a hot water bottle into the foot of your bed at turn down to take off the chill and will also provide a thermos of hot coffee or cocoa and biscuits with your morning wake-up call.

The camp only turns on the generator at certain times, so you will need to go to reception to charge equipment or dry your hair. If I remember correctly there is an entire "locker room" type area for doing this. I can't remember if hair dryers were available though. The entire camp is casual.

Enjoy yourself!

Bechi

Archived