All Things Freedom of the Seas!

we were on the aug 23 sailing as well- first sea day not long after we sat down on loungers near the pools on pool deck the deck patrol came by and removed some items from loungers near us- saw them do this a couple of times out there that day- also saw them ask a person with a child in diapers to get out of the pool- yeah!!! the next sea day we sat upstairs on deck overlooking the pool- plenty of loungers up there unused - seemed more crowded on last sea day from my observations-

i didnt notice what others were wearing in the d.r. so cant comment on that-

we met some wonderful ppl and had a fabulous cruise ;)

I believe you're going to Cococay .... I'll be on the cruise right before you. There are lots of umbrellas at Cococay. I've never seen anywhere to buy or rent one.

Actually, we are taking a helicopter ride to Hans Lollik from St. Thomas and are spending the day on the beach by ourselves. There are no facilities of any kind. Just us and a satellite phone. :)

I'm preparing for my first cruise so I probably shouldn't even comment, but sometimes I just can't help myself. I understand the moaning about the chair hogs. It directly effects you. It takes away from the enjoyment of being poolside in the sun. Completely valid. What I can't understand is why people get so twisted up over what others are wearing in the dining room? Your meal still tastes the same, the service is the same...what difference does it make if the couple at the next table aren't wearing dresses and jackets?? It has no effect on you...no impact what so ever. In case you {no one in particular, just those that bitch} haden't noticed, society as a whole has gotten a lot less formal. I say as long as everyone is dressed, as in clothed, and not flinging food in the dining room, live and let live and don't sweat the small stuff.

The dress code is, unfortunately, a hot button issue for some.

Edited by Cuizer2

The dress code is, unfortunately, a hot button issue for some.

The issue is not what people wear, but that they put it in writing that on certain nights a suit and tie for men and dressy attire for women is required. The operative word is REQUIRED That being the case, then live by the rule or eat elsewhere and RCCL, if you make the rule, stand by it and don't put blinders on to some.

If cruising becomes all casual nights, i'm fine with that also.

Cheryl

I have been reading a lot about how some are upset because the dress code is not being followed. I am not a big "dress up" type person. I am not going to pack a suit. Honestly, is a person sitting at a table next to you dressed in shorts/tshirt/jeans/etc going to ruin your dinner or make your evening any less enjoyable. My guess is you are being way to uptight and spending more time worried about what other people are wearing than enjoying your time with your group? I am going to spend my time talking to my lovely wife and my kids, not worrying about what other people are wearing. Actually, sometimes it is fun to people watch. It adds some excitement and laughter to our conversation. What is one of the top things people do when out, people watch. Anyway, I will get off my soapbox. I am wearing dress pants and a nice shirt. If I offend anyone, I really don't care because you aren't paying for my vacation. I am no means a slob, but don't really enjoy sitting at dinner in a monkey suit with a tie strangling me while I try and eat. What do a lot of guys do at dinner anyway? They take off their jacket and lossen their tie.

What do a lot of guys do at dinner anyway? They take off their jacket and lossen their tie.

Maybe @ your local lobster pancake shack but not @ a place with several chandeliers.

And it's not like a disco dance floor is going to be broken out in the MDR either!

Edited by OV8

I have been reading a lot about how some are upset because the dress code is not being followed. I am not a big "dress up" type person. I am not going to pack a suit. Honestly, is a person sitting at a table next to you dressed in shorts/tshirt/jeans/etc going to ruin your dinner or make your evening any less enjoyable. My guess is you are being way to uptight and spending more time worried about what other people are wearing than enjoying your time with your group? I am going to spend my time talking to my lovely wife and my kids, not worrying about what other people are wearing. Actually, sometimes it is fun to people watch. It adds some excitement and laughter to our conversation. What is one of the top things people do when out, people watch. Anyway, I will get off my soapbox. I am wearing dress pants and a nice shirt. If I offend anyone, I really don't care because you aren't paying for my vacation. I am no means a slob, but don't really enjoy sitting at dinner in a monkey suit with a tie strangling me while I try and eat. What do a lot of guys do at dinner anyway? They take off their jacket and lossen their tie.

You are missing my point entirely.

RCCL says suit and tie are required in the MDR on formal nights. Therefore, I follow the rules and dress appropriately. What bothers me is that after they say you MUST dress appropriately, they don't follow thru.

If I go to a restaurant that doesn't have a dress code, I don't care what anyone else wears. But if you tell me I must, then I feel the next guy must also. Drop the dress code entirely if it's not going to be adhered to. I'd rather see that than see them turning a blind eye.

I'm the first to admit that i'm a "do-bee" and follow the rules. This is all IMHO and only about the stated rules. If every night were casual night and I wanted to dress up, I would. It wouldn't matter to me if the guy next to me was in his pj's!

The issue is not what people wear, but that they put it in writing that on certain nights a suit and tie for men and dressy attire for women is required. The operative word is REQUIRED That being the case, then live by the rule or eat elsewhere and RCCL, if you make the rule, stand by it and don't put blinders on to some.

If cruising becomes all casual nights, i'm fine with that also.

Cheryl

Here is the dress code from Royal Caribbean's website. Please show me where you found the word "REQUIRED" ...

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

con_bulletgray_ico.gif Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

con_bulletgray_ico.gif Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

con_bulletgray_ico.gif Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000iNz_UC-rD6r0i5D7OxOSXPB:13hldcgo7?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqType=faq

The bottom line is, the word "required" is not used at all.

Edited by Cuizer2

You are missing my point entirely.

RCCL says suit and tie are required in the MDR on formal nights.

You are intentionally misstating the dress code. Royal Caribbean does not "require" a suit and tie on formal nights. Use the link in the prior post and read the dress code for yourself. The word "required" is NOT used.

I totally understand what you are saying. I don't think shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops should be allowed. As far as what they require, I think it is pretty subjective. This is right out of RCCL website on what to pack:

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

It says "SUGGESTED GUIDELINES", to me that leaves it pretty wide open as to how formal you want to be.

In everyone's defense, it also states as follows:

For formal nights you'll need cocktail dresses for women, suits and ties - or tuxedos - for men. And for the smart casual nights bring dresses or pantsuit for women, jackets for men.

Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner. Casual dress dining is available nightly in the Windjammer Cafe. And be aware you'll also need smart casual attire for some of our specialty restaurants

I just think everyone gets a little too worked up over something that really isn’t that big of a deal. Have you ever said anything to the clerk at the store when someone checked out with 12 items in a 10 item or less lane? Have you ever driven over the speed limit or changed lanes without signaling? All of us break rules. You just have to decide what are the really important ones.:D

So can someone tell me how "All Things Freedom of the Seas" ... a general discussion about the ship ... has turned into a discussion of dress codes?

That's what I'm talking about!

I'm looking forward to some reviews here from folks off this first September cruise to see if any changes took place?

Here is the dress code from Royal Caribbean's website. Please show me where you found the word "REQUIRED" ...

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

con_bulletgray_ico.gif Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

con_bulletgray_ico.gif Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

con_bulletgray_ico.gif Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

The bottom line is, the word "required" is not used at all.

In law this would be consider intent (& spirit). Enforcement is another matter.

Have you ever driven over the speed limit or changed lanes without signaling? All of us break rules. You just have to decide what are the really important ones.

Actually these are laws & are pretty clearly stated in the DMV manual (I should know :rolleyes: ).

It comes down to law enforcement - if they are nearby - & if they follow to a tee or not if you are cited/stopped.

The 'suggested' part of the RCL dress codes on the other hand is not law only private property rules. That & the supplemental examples are confusing & in conjunction with the lack of enforcement is the overall problem.

There will always be people who don't live up to our expectations or just do their own thing. We may not like it, but please don't let it ruin your vacation. Life is too short to worry about things out of our control. We're traveling in December and am looking forward to enjoying every aspect of the trip and if something someone wears gives me a chuckle, all the better.

Now back to Freedom......

In law this would be consider intent (& spirit). Enforcement is another matter.
I was pointing out that the word required does not appear on the website under dress code. I was not making any statement about the enforcement, or lack thereof, of the dress code itself. Only that the dress code does not contain the word "required".

I was pointing out that the word required does not appear on the website under dress code. I was not making any statement about the enforcement, or lack thereof, of the dress code itself. Only that the dress code does not contain the word "required".

& I was pointing out that the spirit of the rule & what is intended by RCL is routinely & knowingly looked passed by cruisers & line alike.

Edited by OV8

Lets agree that we can disagree.

Let move on. What is the coolest thing that should not be missed and what is the first thing everyone should check out when they first get on the ship?

The coolest thing that should not be missed is the ice show. The coolest thing that should be missed is an iceberg. The first thing you should check out when you get on the ship is:

1) The Royal Promenade

2) The buffet

3) Your cabin

The order in which you do this depends on the time you board. Board early, then follow the above order. Board shortly before the cabins are available, then:

1) Royal Promenade

2) Cabin

3) Buffet

Board after the cabins become available and you should follow this order:

1) Cabin

2) Buffet

3) Royal Promenade