How do you pack your formal?

mirrajay

Hello ladies -

I have run into a problem while packing. I planned on putting my formal dress (I suppose you could almost call it a ball gown) in a garment bag that I have and then carry it on the plane with me. However when I put it in the garment bag last night, the dress is so long that it has to bunch up at the bottom making the bag not fold over flat. I suppose this isnt a huge problem since we are taking a travel steamer on with us, but I am worried that the garment bag won't fit into the carry on guidelines ( I also have my coat and probably my friends dress in there as well.)

What do you do with your dress? Put it in a garment bag and then check it at the airport!? I am worried about doint that after seeing how airport staff handles luggage, but is that my only option?

Thanks!

use two hangers. fold the bottom half over the second hanger...for this i usually use a wire hanger. then i use a twist tie and tie the two hangers together at the top. put in hanging suit bag and carry it on board with you. the stewardess will hang it in the closet for you. remember to ask for it when you exit the plane.

Thats a great idea, but I really wanted to not use a special bag for just the dress.

I came up with a solution though: I actually ended up putting my gown in a space saver bag and squishing all the air out. This is how my aunt was telling me she stores her wedding gown.

It will be a little wrinkled I am sure, but the steamer should take care of that. I even threw my heavier coat in the large space saver bag as well and have so much room left in the suitcase!

when using those space saver bags. Less bulk does NOT mean less weight.

I'd be worried about putting my gown in one of those bags.

Do you have time to have a "dress rehearsal" (pun intended)?

That is, put the dress in the space saver bag for 24 hours. Take it out and see how wrinkled it is. Will the travel steamer/iron take care of the wrinkles?

I only use those things for stuff I don't care about, in terms of wrinkes: underwear, swimsuits, pajamas, etc.

T

I am doing the "dress rehersal" right now. I put it in there last night and will take it out and see how it is tonight. If all else fails I can iron it on the ship on the lowest setting. The dress fabric does not appear to be very wrinkle prone (its a rather heavy fabric) and I didnt squish it up in the bag or anything. Most likely there will be wrinkles around the waist line where I folded it and those should steam out.

I am fully aware of the weight issue for the luggage - a few years ago, I had to take things out of a bag and put them in my friends luggage to be under the 50 lbs. It was so embarrasing! I weighed my bag last night and its only 36lbs :) Plenty of weight to spare.

Try this little tidbit that I always offer the gals. I place tissue between the folds of my formal. When our luggage arrives to the cabin, I take it out (obviously) and if there is a wrinkle, I hang it on the bathroom door. The shower between our two showers will absolutely dissipate any minimal wrinkles. ;)

Janet

Drum roll please - here is the report following my dress rehersal:

Success!! There are a few wrinkles, but nothing the steamer (or even the shower) cant take out. I bet the tissue trick would reduce the wrinkles even more. Thanks for that tip, Janet.

• 2 weeks later...
Drum roll please - here is the report following my dress rehersal:

Success!! There are a few wrinkles, but nothing the steamer (or even the shower) cant take out. I bet the tissue trick would reduce the wrinkles even more. Thanks for that tip, Janet.

My daughter had to carry her wedding dress on board a plane when we went to Scotland. I first wrapped it in the plastic bag you get from a dry cleaner. It is supposed to keep some wrinkles out. They were very nice about storing the dress on the plane for her (we carried it with us).

I took a steamer with me on my last cruise and found it to be a pain. It took forever to get rid of the smallest wrinkles and i much prefer an iron. I bought a travel iron for this one.

I came back on Saturday and the dress thing worked perfectly. I didnt even have to steam it. Amazing :)

I have posted a review on the Carnival board.

Now only if the post cruise dizziness would stop! I have been holding on to hand rails everywhere I go afraid I might take a spill I've stayed on my feet so far! :)

Yes, much too quickly.

And now I am suffering from post-vacation depression....This first day back at work is the worst! ...and I havent even started unpacking, so thats the plan for the evening. What a crummy day!

EeenyMeenie,

I do exactly what you. Fold the bottom half over another hanger.

I take it one step further and I hang my gowns at home that way too. I feel it puts less stress on the shoulders and top of the gown to keep them that way all the time.

Jane

Archived