US Airways warns of winter shutdown

BB5953

This was sent out from my companies T&A dept.

US Airways warns of winter shutdown: US Airways said it faces the "high probability" of liquidation by mid-February if its request for $38 million in temporary labor concessions are not approved by the bankruptcy court. In a court filing cited by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, US Airways said it has enough cash for 4-1/2 months. Without cuts of $200 million by early next year, US Airways predicts "massive layoffs" and "potential liquidation." In addition to the expected seasonal travel slump, management is worried about more than $260 million in aircraft debt and lease payments that are due in January and February. The airline has also outlined plans to reduce some non-labor costs, including cutting some management and administrative positions by the end of October, The Washington Post (free registration) reports. In a small step forward, US Airways reached a tentative cost-cutting agreement with 65 flight-crew training instructors who are members of the airline's Transport Workers Union. Posted at 7 a.m. ET

Now I am getting nervous! We are booked on the January 8th Constellation sailing in and out of Puerto Rico. We booked throug Travelocity, and the air portion is by US Airways. Will they still be up and running in January? What happens if they go under before then?

Babette,

They most certainly allow USAir to die out if necessary. The Pittsburgh hub is dead (as many of the mini-hubs that shut down over the last 5 years) and the service declines have been dreadful.

While going to DC international is fast for the congress critters, there are probably enough of them to say no to a bailout. To me it is amazing that other DC airports are so much cheaper. Example, roundtrip to BWI on Southwest, 200 give or take. Roundtrip to Dulles on Independence Air 100-150 give or take. Flying into Reagan/DC International is about 800 bucks. Should note that this is from Columbus, OH.

DCI should be shut down for not only security concerns but safety. Remember when that jet hit a bridge because of liftoff problems? The approach is also topsy-turvy because of the restricted air space.

DCI could easily be replaced by an airport outside DC. Or maybe convert Andrews into an airport. Don't know but:

Shutdown DCI and USAir.

Why should taxpayers have to bailout another poorly run enterprise?

When (or if) they go belly-up, another airline will take its place. (Hopefully one of the low cost carriers that doesn't sardine passengers or charge the local populace 3 arms and a leg to fly out of their hub).

And (sigh) Yes, I am booked on US Scare to Tampa in late November.

Raudacruise. That accident was 25 years ago. Caused by icing and no repeat deicing. Had nothing to do with Reagan International or USAir. Actually, if memory serves it was Florida Air.

It was Air Florida, but it makes for a great rumor-starter, doesn't it!

USAir, as well as many other companies, are being run into the ground by thoughtless unions who try to keep wages artificially high, and then squall to high heaven when the company goes either belly up or moves offshore to survive. Go figure.

Mark T.

raudacruise,

I fly out of DCA (not DCI as you say, since there are no international flights to/from DCA) at least 10 times per year and have to admit that it is by far one of the easiest airports to travel to/from. They will not shut this airport down anytime soon without a huge fight from the locals in the area. Clearly you haven't attempted to get to Dulles or especially BWI from DC for a "quick" weekend trip. A trip from DC to BWI by car anytime after 2pm on a weekday is almost always close to a 2 hour trip. NO words can describe the convenience of DCA. I'm not sure when you tried looking for tickets, but I recently completed a roundtrip from DCA to Columbus for $120. I see fares like this all the time, so I'm not sure where your $800 figures come from. As for security, it's probably the tightest in the country. Not sure if you've flown in or out of DCA since 9/11, but now no one is allowed out of their seat during the 30 mins immediately after takeoff, or prior to landing, or else the plane is diverted to an alternate airport.

Back to the original subject, however, I do believe US Air is on their way out. Delta has just announced they are adding more flights to/from DCA, so I'm sure they will pick up some of the slack from US Air. Same goes for United, which has it's own problems, but seems worlds better than US Air at this point. Guess we'll simply wait and see...

For those air travelers who fly up and down the East Coast......in many instances USAir is the only way N/S. All the small regional airlines: Piedmont, Republic, Allegheny which at one time fed the smaller regional airports.... all became part of USAir.

Can't say I'm surprised USAir cut service to Pittsburgh. No one likes to fly west......to go south.

Like Delta, USAir has also added flights. Is Delta a healthier airline? No.. they aren't. Take a look at their recent press releases.

I did take a look at fares from Columbus to DCA. I came up with the same nonstop fare of $120 rt. Delta was $134. Nov 18th returning on the 25th.

If you have to fly along the East Coast for business, USAir is our "Sky Bus".. not to mention the shipment of cargo... and US Snail Mail.

This is getting a little off topic but I'll respond one more time.

The midweek flights to DCA (okay, I now have it correct) from CMH are very expensive. This is a travel board so maybe the Saturday night stay, advance booking is not a problem.

I've driven to/from downtown DC and BWI and its really not that bad even when it should be. One hour at best obviously, but two hours only when we got lost. However, both BWI and Dulles offer getting on the metro. BWI is quite a stretch, all the way to Greenbelt, but you can pick up a bus that runs regularly. Dulles has a very nearby metro stop that will take you directly to GW/Foggy Bottom.

Independance now has 6 flights/day from CMH to Dulles direct. Prices are pretty darn good given the competition.

With that all said, who cares? The per diem in DC (hotel and restaurants) would probably cover a pretty nice cruise ;).

Feathers unruffled everyone.

Raudacruise. That accident was 25 years ago. Caused by icing and no repeat deicing. Had nothing to do with Reagan International or USAir. Actually, if memory serves it was Florida Air.

All correct; but don't try to confuse the expert.

AA acquired TWA...thus the transfer of the miles. DO NOT count on any airline assuming the liability for USAir miles in the event of a liquidation. When EA quit flying, Continental picked up the miles because theyw ere owned by the same principal group.

Make no assumptions!

USAir liquidating would mean fuller flights and higher fares (less allocation of discount seats) by the remaining carriers.

USAir has always been our airline of choice. As Ocngypz noted, USAirway goes everywhere we want to go. It will be an adjustment for us.

Raudacruise, when exactly was it??? the last time you traveled from Northern Virginia to BWI??? I suspect a long time ago -- you can't do it in an hour. We live here and know better.

Reagan National is the most convenient airport near us -- we love it and it will never be shut down. The gates are too popular for another airline to not pick them up -- they are "coveted" so to speak.

Dulles is fine -- but is going through major renovations -- so you never know how long it will take to get there, park, get through security, and get to the plane.

Having said all of this, we are not taking a chance on USAirways for our cruise in March, but WERE contemplating Ted from Dulles!! You may have just talked me out of that an onto Spirit :)

Archived