Would we miss out on seeing Belize if we book a snorkel excursion?

Chelsm

I have been looking into snorkel trips because I hear thats the way to go when in Belize. I cant imagine going to Belize and not stepping foot on land. If we do a snorkel; excursion that will consume the entire day, will we miss out if we dont do a tour of Belize?

I have been looking into snorkel trips because I hear thats the way to go when in Belize. I cant imagine going to Belize and not stepping foot on land. If we do a snorkel; excursion that will consume the entire day, will we miss out if we dont do a tour of Belize?

We went cavetubing on our second trip and got to see some of the countryside. Not much there. Town is run down and dissapointing. The houses of the more elite are surrounded with high walls with broken glass imbedded on the top, and most of the houses had bars on the windows. Not a good sign. The cavetubing, however, is a hoot. I had to book the same cruise two years straight because we didn't get to stop in Belize because of the weather on our first trip, and I did that just for the cavetubing. It was worth the wait.

For those who like to snorkel, this is a great place. This is the second largest barrier reef in the world and it is something to see. There are several local companies that you can book through at the tenderdock or online, or if you are worried about missing the ship, book through the cruiseline. Personally, I believe that you get a better tour with the locals.

belize is well knows for it's reefs, i would say that is one of the place you would want to go snorkeling. besides the reefs, the maya history is understand to visit. otherwise it's a very poor country...not a lot to see, very under developed. even on the bus ride, last december, until you got to the river boats, not a lot to see or point out to us. the tour guide told us cute stories about growing up there...but even she said that there just isn't much.

We did the sunbeach break and snorkle in Belize.We went out to the reef and snorkled for about 1.5 hours.After the beach break at about 2 Pm or so they take you back to the ship.Some stayed on and the boat dropped us off at the pier in Belize City and we shopped for about another hour and seen some stuff around the docks.We then got on the tender and back on board with lots of tenders left.I got 4 t-shirts for 20 bucks.

That way i got to do the beach,Snorkle,see dolphins on the way to the reef and swam and snorkled on the reef and seen some of the mainland in belize.I can say it was well worth the 55 dollars for the excursion. I would have alwasy doubted myself if i did not go to the port and just got on the ship after the snorkle.

Iwas suppose to cave tube with Major Tom but broke a bone in my foot getting on the ship in Ft lauderdale,I emailed major Tom and told him i had to cancell as i could not walk the walk in the jungle,he was very cool about it that i let him know.next time i go to belize it will be the cave tubing . Thesawch

in Belize--because of the shape of the country and the location of its attractions--it is a real "either/or" decision. The reef is a LONG way from even the nearest of the Mayan ruins sites (Altun Ha); the Belize Zoo is thirty miles inland from the port, and the cave tubing area is perhaps thirty-five. Even when you are staying in Belize and time is not so much a factor, it is usually not convenient to visit more than one site per day. When it gets dark in Belize, it gets very, very dark--they enjoy nothing of the light pollution we have here in the United States--and it is barely possible to see the road when you are driving. Most people are at home in bed--and probably quite exhausted from entertaining us all day!

You will "miss out" on something, but it is unavoidable. We were there for two weeks, going almost nonstop, and we still missed out on a lot of things--and never got to the far north or into the south of the country; we visited four major Mayan sites in Belize, of about thirty identified--couldn't quite make it to Caracol, although we did cross the border to Guatemala to visit Tikal for a few hours. Logistically it proved impossible for us to visit the reef more than once, although I had thought we would be going at least five times when I was planning out our itinerary. Every attraction is essentially thirty miles from every other attraction. :confused:

Archived