How does Sail and Sign work?

kathyjack

We will be cruising the Destiny in January and have cruise many times before, but not on CCL. I know there have been questions in the past about Sail and Sign, but I'm confused. Please tell me how the account works. I know we will give them a credit card # and our purchases will be placed on that card. But, I think I read somewhere, where they place a certain amount on the account every day per person? Is that right? We don't drink so don't have much on our account other than excursions and some souvenirs. Would like some clarification about exactly how it works. Thanks so much!

The first day they will put $10 per person per day for tips. i.e. 7 day cruise..$70.You have the option of going to the purser's desk to remove them if you feel more comfortable tipping everyone yourself. We usually leave it on there and alot of times tipped more, depending on our service. Oh, the Maitre D's tip is not included in the $10 per day. Chud

We will be cruising the Destiny in January and have cruise many times before, but not on CCL. I know there have been questions in the past about Sail and Sign, but I'm confused. Please tell me how the account works. I know we will give them a credit card # and our purchases will be placed on that card. But, I think I read somewhere, where they place a certain amount on the account every day per person? Is that right? We don't drink so don't have much on our account other than excursions and some souvenirs. Would like some clarification about exactly how it works. Thanks so much!
When you check iin, the card is preauthorized for a set amount. Then each days charges are pre-authorized the following morning. The total amount of your account is charged against your card upon returning to home port. The full cruises gratuities are assessed against the account on the first day of the cruise.

Many people prefer adding the gratuities to the sail and sign account. Less cash to carry around.

Someone once posted an easy way to explain the sail and sign account....

You give the cruiseline your credit card #, you SAIL away, and then you spend the whole week SIGN,SIGN,SIGN,SIGN,SIGN :D

So,I understand about the gratuities and are fine with them charging them on the account. But...are we the ones who preauthorize the amounts? I.e., so we say the first day (or when Sail and Sign is completed), put $400 on the account to begin with, then when that is spent, WE ask them to increase it? Don't mean to sound dumb, but DH was asking how it worked (will depend on which of 2 cards we bring with us) and I just wasn't sure. $$$ is defintely not my thing - I'm great at spending it, but don't have a clue how to keep track of it, and actually I really like it that way! Thank you DH!

If I'm not mistaken, every evening (while you're sleeping :D) they will check with your cc company the amount used that day to see if there's enough. They'll give the ok, and you can continue to use that cc acount the next day. If there's a problem with your account, they will DEFINITELY find you. You can hear the names of those passengers every day who are asked to come the pursers desk :D

Edited to say........ every day you can go to pursers office and ask for a printout, and the newer ships you can do it via your tv set. :D

I'm great at spending it, but don't have a clue how to keep track of it
If your ship is equipped with FunVision, you may review your S&S account on the tv in real time.

Herb is correct, they submit the pre-authorizations overnight. If something declines, you'll get a friendly page over the ship's PA in the morning.

Why would they need to preauthorize it everynight for the following day? If you have a deposit up why wouldn't that be done when you are nearing your deposit amount which was already preauthorized for a hold?:confused: I have only done the auto tipping on NCL, but on there your $10.00 is taken out nightly, not in one lump sum. So, I guess Carnival is different and takes it all at once, correct?

So, I guess Carnival is different and takes it all at once, correct?
Absolutely, positively correct. You will see the lump sum gratuities as the very first line item on your S&S detail.

when you give the cruiseline your credit card they do not do a credit check. They simply take your number. All purchases plus the gratuity are processed with your credit card co. in the evening. How else would the cruiseline know whether you have enough credit on that card left to pay for expenses?? They're not going to take your word for it :D

Here's another question on the same topic. Do you have to have a Sail and Sign account? My friend and I are cruising on Carnival for the first time on 10/23/04 on the Ecstasy and obviously don't share a credit card so we want to pay cash individually. Can we do that?

Lisa

A sail and sign account can be set up either by using a credit card or by using cash. Depending on length of cruise a minimum amount of cash must be set aside on your account. You will receive a sail and sign card which you use for purchases etc. and when your account starts to dwindle you will receive a friendly reminder under your door during the night asking whether you wish to replenish any amount :D

I hate to sound contrary to anyone elses replies but....when you give carnival your redit card number you better believe they check! There is a little known type of charge that can be placed on you card ..it is a HOLD charge. When Carnival authorizes your sign and sail card a HOLD for that amount is placed upon your card. I believe it is like $300 per person.

For example..if you have a $1000.00 limit remaning on your credit card. You give it to carnival for sign and sail and they hit it for a $300.00 hold, then tag the 300 hold for about $70.00 for tips. Then when you go ashore and try to charge a $720.00 item on that card you are either gonna get denied or..charged an over the limit fee. This is all due to the $300 hold.

What happens if you spend more than the $300.00? I believe that you get notified and asked to the purser's office. Possibly another hold amount is authorized against your card, I am not sure.

Check and watch your balance on TV. :)

Correct.

On a 7 night cruise a MINIMUM amount of $300 will be held from your credit card; or if you're using cash to for your sail and sign you need to give a MINIMUM of $300 cash as a deposit. If your credit card only has $300 left to begin with you're screwed. You better use a different card when you get off the ship on the islands :D

On a shorter cruise the minimum is less, of course.

Hmmm, we didn't have any trouble using our credit card at the ports after the hold was put in place by Carnival. I did call the card companies beforehand and let them know when we would be out of the country, or maybe DH used a different card for my "baubles"! :D

Archived