Limo in Rome or Rome in Limo Companies

Hmm--all i can tell you is we headed out via the Appian Way, and off to the Lake of Albano I think it is, and the summer home, which is Castel Gandolfo-it is high above a gorgeous lake-the whole area is breathtaking.

We went there 4 years ago, and I know Romeinlimo does go there, because I asked them last summer, but we actually didn't have enough time because we had to choose a different itinerary for the day, specifically because one of my kids had never been to Rome-

It is just beautiful there-unforgettable.

Thank you very much for the info! Can you do the whole thing in a day or does it require an overnight?? Again, thanks!

You can definitely go in a day-That particular day, we went to one of the outlying catacombs, as well as Castel Gandolfo, and we also went quite a few other places. The day we were there, a bride and groom had chosen to have their wedding pictures in front of the Castel--and they got a little too close to the Swiss guards and the doors, so they were politely relocated, so to speak. I believe because of it's proximity to Rome, the Pope can go back and forth via helicopter relatively easy-so you know it's not too far. It was so picturesque, the panorama there is gorgeous. You would enjoy it. Call Duman, (Romeinlimo) he'll get you there

I asked Jany if we could charge our tours because I didn't feel comfortable carrying around so much cash. She e mailed me a credit card form for me to fill out and fax back to her so the tours will be paid for before we leave home. All we have to do is bring enough to tip the drivers. Speaking of which what is the usual tip for the tour guide/drivers?

Because of the service you WILL get...15 to 20 % is what I would tip...but thats me and I am positive that once the tour gets started you will see why. After our tour was over in Rome we felt like we were leaving a very good friend behind in Duman...and we were. For all of you who will be using Rome in a limo on tours sit back and relax..you will be in good hands.

Kit, DId you book a nine hour tour? We just booked with Jany for Rome and Florence.

Connie

Connie, You mentioned something about someone getting tired & adjusting the tour time. I use a wheelchair at times due to fatigue from Rheumatoid Arthritis. I was curious as to whether your companion is somewhat disabled & how romeinlimo will handle this.

My dh & I had almost decided to do Rome on our own on the HoHo bus. We will be there 4 days before we sail on the Galaxy in Dec this year. When I ran across this thread it makes me want to book a driver!

Any info from any one on disabled being able to use romeinlimo would be appreciated.

i don't have a wheelchair but have trouble walking-very bad knees. We booked Romeinlimo and they use small air conditioned vans, almost sedan level for easy in and out, with cargo space in the back which should accomodate a wheelchair-you can check with Jany but we stored a lot of stuff in the backs of the vans from Romeinlimo, and i believe a chair would be accomodated as well. I would not have been able to survive our trips without our drivers, because the sheer distances from one spot to the next are difficult for me, and our drivers are able to pull up much closer to everywhere we wanted to visit so we could enjoy everything much much easier. We had, several years ago, tried to do Rome on our own, and it took so much more time to get everywhere. After a couple of frustrating and tiring days, we booked private-and saw more in one day than we had the prior two days combined. It can be exhausting. So when we have used private drivers, and specifically last summer used Romeinlimo for two days in two ports, our guys would drop us right where we needed to be, then wait for us. They were very accomodating to me, so I never had to walk back to the van, it came to me. You basically will double, triple and more, the sights you see. That in itself is HUGE for me-because I have trouble keeping up with my family, but the gift of private drivers is that they can help you keep up with your family. You will also have enough information from your driver to find out where and how to navigate in the event you will use your chair. If you want to go to a restaurant or outdoor cafe, they can manuever you to the closest spot--which is usually right at the door :). Not only are the drivers totally familiar with where you want to be, they offer many additional options of other places. They also keep in contact with each other so in the event of a traffic re-route, they know pretty quickly and adjust. At the end of your day, if you wish the driver to drop you at a restaurant to enjoy a long dinner, you can say goodbye at that point and spend the average 3 hours at dinner at a place of your choice, or a place they might suggest for you-unless of course you are heading back to port for a ship to depart. In that vein also, we used the drivers suggestions for food options, and not only would be introduced, but would also be accomodated to the max while dining. Good luck.

Thanks you so much for your valuable information. We have just about decided to reserve Romeinlimo. They appear to be so accommodating. All the OP's on this thread can't be wrong!

We were in Rome 2 years ago but only for 1 day and we did see a lot but we were so rushed. We were with 3 other couples & really had a nice time.

Thanks again for your help!

Faith

Thank you very much for the info! Can you do the whole thing in a day or does it require an overnight?? Again, thanks!

You can easily do the tour in a day. If you are staying at a hotel in Rome, Rome in Limo will pick you up and off you go.

We went to Tivoli, then went by the Pope's summer residence, then went to lunch at a private winery. It was an amazingly relaxing day, and saw so much.

Cher

Jade0308,

We just booked a cruise for 10/09. I'm in the very early stages of planning things and at this point haven't done much research. I did find this thread and have found it very interesting and helpful as we prefer to do independent tours instead of the "cattle call" tours with the ship. I was wondering if you could tell me a little more about the tour you took. I went on the website for Romeinlimo and was wondering exactly what tour you took? I have been looking at the HIGHLIGHTS OF ROME tour and wondered if that was the right one you were referring to? Also what was the additonal cost (if any) for the Officical Licensed guide? I can see where that would be very helpful especially to a first time visitor. Any help would be greatly appreciatd. Right now we are a group of 4 and this is our first trip to this part of the world so we want to see as much as possible in the time alloted. Thank you for any help anyone can give us.:)

Our cost for a private guide for the Vatican while touring with Rome in Limo is 150 euro-whether you have a group of 4 or 8. We used them in 2006 and are using them again in October. Like everyone else here, I'd highly recommend them. They do a great job.

Jade0308' date=' [/font']

We just booked a cruise for 10/09. I'm in the very early stages of planning things and at this point haven't done much research. I did find this thread and have found it very interesting and helpful as we prefer to do independent tours instead of the "cattle call" tours with the ship. I was wondering if you could tell me a little more about the tour you took. I went on the website for Romeinlimo and was wondering exactly what tour you took? I have been looking at the HIGHLIGHTS OF ROME tour and wondered if that was the right one you were referring to? Also what was the additonal cost (if any) for the Officical Licensed guide? I can see where that would be very helpful especially to a first time visitor. Any help would be greatly appreciatd. Right now we are a group of 4 and this is our first trip to this part of the world so we want to see as much as possible in the time alloted. Thank you for any help anyone can give us.:)

After much research I selected Romeinlimo for our 3 stops in Italy. They weren't the cheapest. The suggested stops are only that, since its "private" you can go as fast or as slow as you like, and stop when and where.

We used Romeinlimo and when our ship docked in Civitavecchia they were there waiting for us at 10:00 am just like they said they would. I was our groups organizer and was the one who put the tour together with the input of fellow CC members. Our group of 8 were quickly seated inside the Mecedes Mini Bus on on our way out of the port well before the Ships "Tour Buses" even got loaded. Our guide Duman spoke perfect English and was quick to respond to all our questions. Our tour included the Colosseum, Vatican Museum and the Catacombs and we entered way ahead of other groups that were in lines. Not once did we ever felt rushed and one thing I would like to point out is that the beauty of using Romeinlimo is that the Photo ops are fantastic...not only did Dumon alert us to them..whenever anyone in our group spotted something he would stop, that not to be found in the ships tours. Even with the tours and photo ops, we had plenty of time to shop,eat and enjoy the wonderful sites and sounds of Rome and still make it back to our ships boarding deadline of 6:00 pm. If you decide on Romeinlimo your hardest decision will be to decide on what tours are to your liking. If anyone has any further question please feel free to contact me at sanman1@yahoo.com

Thank you everyone for all your great information and suggestions. How far in advance would you suggest these tours be booked? I like to plan well in advance to be assured of getting exactly what I want. We do prefer the "Independent" tour to the "cattle call style tours" the ship offers. Much more relaxed, personable and far more for your money in my opinion.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.:)

Thank you everyone for all your great information and suggestions. How far in advance would you suggest these tours be booked? I like to plan well in advance to be assured of getting exactly what I want. We do prefer the "Independent" tour to the "cattle call style tours" the ship offers. Much more relaxed' date=' personable and far more for your money in my opinion.[/size']

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.:)

It was not clear on weather you were in a group or own your own...either case book as soon as you can, remember that others are on your cruise as well and many read these same Page's as you do so book as soon as possible.

Hello Again:

Yes, it was the tour under "shore excursions, port of Rome," except that we modified it by removing the baths so that we could have a little more time at the Colosseum/ Forum. We paid an additional 150 Euros (not each, of course, for the group) for a guide at the Vatican, primarily to avoid lines on our only day in Rome. For the other sites, there really wasn't enough time for a guide, and the driver gave us background information before we got out of the car. During the drive itself, our driver pointed out the balcony from which Mussolini gave speaches, Napolean's apartment, and the like.

As to your later question re when to book, I would book right away. I know from personal experience that Jany is very good about cancellations as long as it is during the cancellation period (48 hours?). I kept having to change the numbers of my group between 6 and 8 because I wasn't sure how many strangers I'd be able to recruit from CruiseCritic. In the end, we very much enjoyed our tour with 6 other people we had not previously met. I suspect if you make reservations now for 4, and later want to add to it, you'll be able to do so with a single email.

Book early to be sure to get your drivers. But if you are touring off a ship, and are not leaving till late in '09, you just want to continually check your itinerary just in case there is an itinerary change-that way, you will know to change your private tour days.

Just finished faxing Jany my credit card information and am confirmed for my July visit to Rome! Jany was exactly as described in these posts. Very quick to respond to emails and very accomodating.

I am glad that I completed the process today however as tomorrow is the last day that they are going to accept credit card pre-payment. I just wanted to know that it was done and taken care of. I will tip in cash at the end of the tour.

These posts have been so helpful and my husband and I cannot wait for our tour with Rome in Limo. (My husbands birthday present from me, but it coincides with our 20th anniversary!)

Thanks to everyone who posted!

You can easily do the tour in a day. If you are staying at a hotel in Rome, Rome in Limo will pick you up and off you go.

We went to Tivoli, then went by the Pope's summer residence, then went to lunch at a private winery. It was an amazingly relaxing day, and saw so much.

Cher

Thanks for the response. I was out of town for a few days. That tour sounds wonderful! Do you know how many people they will take? Min? Max? The price??? Thanks again for the help!

You can definitely go in a day-That particular day, we went to one of the outlying catacombs, as well as Castel Gandolfo, and we also went quite a few other places. The day we were there, a bride and groom had chosen to have their wedding pictures in front of the Castel--and they got a little too close to the Swiss guards and the doors, so they were politely relocated, so to speak. I believe because of it's proximity to Rome, the Pope can go back and forth via helicopter relatively easy-so you know it's not too far. It was so picturesque, the panorama there is gorgeous. You would enjoy it. Call Duman, (Romeinlimo) he'll get you there

Thanks Jesse! I will do that!

Archived