email from P&O

Cabinboy1943

Smoking on Artemis, Arcadia, Aurora, and Oriana will continue to be

permitted in cabins (including those with balconies) and in certain areas

on the open decks. However, the cabins are thoroughly cleaned and

disinfected between and during all cruises and all other enclosed passenger

areas on each ship, including the dining venues, will be non-smoking.

In addition, I can advise that the policy has recently changed on Oceana

and Ventura. From April, smoking will not be permitted within cabins on

board. However, smoking will still be allowed on balconies, on certain

areas of the open decks and in the dedicated public room. The public rooms

with designated smoking areas on each ship will be as follows -

Artemis Horizon Lounge

Arcadia Rising Sun

Aurora Crow's Nest

Oceana Winners

Oriana Crow's Nest

Ventura The Exchange

Our policy is and will remain fully compliant with applicable law and is

designed to reflect the public attitude towards smoking, protecting those

who do not wish to smoke whilst still recognising the needs of our smoking

passengers.

So the Yacht & Compass is now a smoke free pub! (gutted)

We sailed on Oceana last year (Oct 2007) and the cruise director organised a quiz, non smokers on one side, smokers on the other. It was a full house and a very enjoyable evening. The non smokers won by the way & no-one complained about smoke.

As I understand it, a ship is classed as a hotel. As such it is exempt from UK legislation with regards to the smoking ban in public places and can designate smoking areas as it sees fit. Currently, over 23% of adults in the UK are smokers. At this stage I can’t see any P&O ship going smoke free and alienating that number of potential cruisers. Tobacco sales are very lucrative for carnival plc and if they see a decline in revenue from that area they will certainly seek to recoup it in others.

Historical data shows that balcony cabins have increased in price while the lower OH grades have decreased. It’s not rocket science to see what’s happening. Smokers are willing to pay higher prices for balconies, which in turn pushes up the price for non smokers who want the same balcony cabin.

As a smoker I always choose a balcony cabin and exercise my human right to enjoy my nicotine intake, be it there or in a designated area. People can demonise me as much as they like as long as they are prepared to pay the increase in cabin/bar/snack/bistro/excursion/etc price increase that the cruise line WILL implement for the subsequent loss of tobacco revenue.

As a smoker I always choose a balcony cabin and exercise my human right to enjoy my nicotine intake, be it there or in a designated area. .

Over time there will be fewer and fewer places where this habit can be carried out.

P&O will just follow suit and ban smoking in cabins balconies and most other places. Can't wiat.

But I do agree with you, whilst it is not breaking the rules, then you you should smoke where you like. If I or others do not like it then we should complain to the appropriate authority and not demonise the smoker.

If I was on the balcony next to yours I would discuss this subject with you though to see if we could come to an amicable agreemnet.

Gerry

Finally have the word on Smoking. in 2009 you will not be allowed to smoke in ANY cabin on ANY ship, although you can on the balcony and designated areas. At the moment only Ventura and Oceana have banned smoking in cabins. Think I'll take a Neutrodol spray with me.

I'm a smoker but have always obeyed the rules about where to or where not to smoke. We've got rules at home as well because my hubby is a non smoker. I've got to say that stale cigarette smoke is one of the worse smells ever, so I will be quite happy to lock myself out on the balcony in September!

Archived