Avalon Tapestry Excursion Confusion

happycruizer

We are on the Sept. 7 Romantic Rhine sailing of the Tapestry, Zurich [basel] - Amsterdam. The itinerery states that embarkation will begin at approx. 4:30 p.m.; the web "excursion" section lists an optional excursion to Lucerne/Mt. Piltus. I sent Avalon a msg. about this and they responded that optional excursions can only be booked once the vacation has actually begun & that no sightseeing will be offered prior to the beginning of the cruise ......my confusion is WHEN would this excursion take place if we embark and sail on Sunday, Sept. 7?

We took this cruise in the Fall of 2006. The excursion was offered for the Sunday the cruise started. We signed up at the hotel, left about noon and got to the boat about 6PM. The excursion was very enjoyable and well worth the price.

Obviously, there is some confusion on Avalon's part between the advertising and the answer you received. Occasionally, an excursion is advertised and then not offered due to local conditions/changes. However, I suggest you contact Avalon again for further clarification. :confused:

VAGuy, thanks.:) I have replied to Avalon's msg. for clarification and asked if this excursion is available to anyone booked on this sailing or only those who booked an air inclusive pkg [we did our own air]. We were planning on doing the excursion independently but the price shown on the website is better than I can do myself. If no clear msg. is rec'd I may ask my TA to follow up and see if she can get a straight answer.

VAGuy, we will end our Avalon cruise in Basel and plan to stay a couple extra days in Zurich and take a tour to Lucerne from there. One of the tours offered spends 5 hours of free time in Lucerne after a short guided tour, is there enough in Lucerne to see and do to fill 5 hours? We also have a few other options that would only spend a couple hours in Lucerne and then go on to other places. :confused:

:rolleyes: I'm still waiting for an answer from Avalon about clarification. The previous msg. stated "There is no way to provide the exact dock location of the Tapestry. Ships within the docking can be side-by-side or up to 5 ships deep. Due to various departure times ships are fewquently moved and re-docked in nw locations throughout the day. For this reason we established the pre-cruise meeting location. Optional excursions do not commence until after the onset of the sailing and no sightseeing is offered prior to the cruise. Documents with detailed info will be rec'd approx. 2 to 3 weeks prior to departure once information has been finalized." As we did our own air and did not purchase Avalon transfers, what will we do with our luggage if we just show up at the pre-cruise meeting place? VAGuy & Iceflower01, did you arrange your own air and/or transfers? I'm still confused what "optional excursions do not commence until after the onset of sailing" means. If I do not hear anything by this afternoon I'm just going to call Avalon and try to get an answer. However, they'll probably tell me that I'll have to go through my TA.:confused:

I always book my own air and also go 1 or 2 days early.I than go to the meeting place after I check out of my hotel.Avalon definitely will keep your luggage for you. They always have a holding area for luggage and from there they transfer it to the ship for you. It will be brought to your cabin when you check in.This allows you to spend time exploring.Using their air and transfers has nothing to do with the offered optional excursions.I am sure if you arrive early enough you will be able to go.If the weather is bad or really cloudy they will probably not do that optional as you would not be able to see anything.

What time does your flight arrive?

VAGuy, we will end our Avalon cruise in Basel and plan to stay a couple extra days in Zurich and take a tour to Lucerne from there. One of the tours offered spends 5 hours of free time in Lucerne after a short guided tour, is there enough in Lucerne to see and do to fill 5 hours? We also have a few other options that would only spend a couple hours in Lucerne and then go on to other places. :confused:

Lucerene is a lovely town and there is much to see. I spent 2 whole days there in 2005 and I would have loved to stay longer.If you have extra time it is fun to take a ride on the ferry on the lake. It is absolutely beautiful.

Happycruiser,

Many people just "show up" at the meeting place. (That's why it is called meeting place. :-) ) Basel port is indeed a bit confusing, if I were you I would use the transfer form the meeting place to the ship. (If you decide not to go to Lucerne.)

You can book all the optional excursions on spot with your cruise manager. (If you are there in time to do so.)

Do not worry to much!

Yosemitegal,

http://www.luzern.org/en/navpage-ExcursionsLU.html

Have fun to decide what to do...

Yes, I arranged for air separately for the following reasons: We like to arrive in Europe a few days before the cruise starts to allow for delays in transportation, to recover from the flight (don't do well with time zone changes) and to do some sightseeing in the departure city. Also, I find there is greater flexibility in doing my own scheduling, I can use frequent flyer miles and generally I can find less expensive flights than offered by the cruise company.

Sometimes you can arrange for transfers with the cruise company even if you don't bok air with them. In Zurich, it is very easy to take the train from the airport to downtown which we did.

We did not receive any advance notification of the Pilatus excursion. We found out about it upon arrival at the Avalon meeting point(hotel) and were pleasantly surprised. Generally, excursions/optionals are not offered until after the cruise starts. However, it your itinerary starts in Basel , the only practical time to offer such an excursion is on the Sunday afternoon at the start of the cruise.

Avalon answered my questions directly over the phone and has also responded by e-mail. Another cruise company we have used refuses to answer phone inquiries or respond to e-mail input refering me to my TA. Don't hesitate to using your TA. Remember they are getting paid to be of service.

Lucerne is an attractive town and certainly worth an afternoon of sightseeing. If you have a way of checking the weather conditions at Pilatus, it would be advisable. If visability is limited at Pilatus, then I would forgo the excursion. But if the weather is nice, well .... the views were georgeous.

Oh, the cruise was delightful. Avalon does a good job. :p

:) Thanks ya'all. I think I am now clear on my questions; more clarification from you guys than from Avalon. letsgo 39, we actually arrive on Friday, Sept. 5 so there should be no problem in being at the "pre-cruise meeting" location in time to join the excursion. Is the meeting place usually in Basel or Zurich?

Our meeting place was a hotel in Zurich (Intercontinental if memory serves me right, but don't rely on that). Also, there is frequent train service from Zurich to Basel (about an hour trip), just in case.:D

Archived