Jane Green - Second Chance

Jodi Picoult - My Sisters Keeper

Jodi Picoult - Nineteen Minutes

Jodi Picoult - The Pact

Nicholas Sparks - The Choice

Nicholas Sparks - The Notebook

Nicholas Sparks - The Wedding

Hope these help you!!:)

I too am looking for a good/great book to read on the cruise I will be taking....

I have read most of the chick lit books including A is for, B is for...Stepanie Plum novels, shopaholic books, light books etc. Although I must say, I have loved them all and will continue reading them at a future date....I read all the Grisham books too which I liked and read Davinci Code and the others too.

I am looking for something that maybe is not such a quick read but will keep me interested without being bored. I like mystery, with a bit of romance, maybe historical or being placed in a "period" time. I don't mind if the book is long either...

thanks

sklja

History, Mistory, Period, the Diana Gabaldon books have it all. Start with Cross stitch, Then there are another 4/5 in the series. There is a bit of everything in them. I bet you a tenner you wont be able to put them down... enjoy.

The Blending by Sharon Green is wonderful, there are 5 books in the series, then there is The Blending Enthroned which is the last 3 books in the series, it's about air, water, fire and spirit element magic users, it has mystery, murder, romance and intrigue. They are absolutly wonderful.

Also, as far as historical romance, Bertrice Small is my favorite. The World of Hetar series is my favorite.

I too am looking for a good/great book to read on the cruise I will be taking....

I have read most of the chick lit books including A is for, B is for...Stepanie Plum novels, shopaholic books, light books etc. Although I must say, I have loved them all and will continue reading them at a future date....I read all the Grisham books too which I liked and read Davinci Code and the others too.

I am looking for something that maybe is not such a quick read but will keep me interested without being bored. I like mystery, with a bit of romance, maybe historical or being placed in a "period" time. I don't mind if the book is long either...

thanks

sklja

I strongly recommend The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay as it is all the things you mention. It's a brilliant book.

And I was a big fan of East of Eden long before Oprah made it a bestseller. But it is a very engaging story, and real literature also.

A very underrated book, but a great fun summer read, is The Godfather. probably more of a guy thing... but even if you have seen the movie 100x (and who hasn't) it can really pass the time.

An excellent historical mystery is The Alienist. Very well written and a real page turner.

Just my 2 cents. OK, maybe 4!

thanks for all of your suggestions!

I bought the Pillars of the earth series, the Outlanders series, Wicked and Kite Runner and THousand splendid Suns.

That should be enough for the first few days. lol

Only kidding!!

Happy reading everyone

sklja

History, Mistory, Period, the Diana Gabaldon books have it all. Start with Cross stitch, Then there are another 4/5 in the series. There is a bit of everything in them. I bet you a tenner you wont be able to put them down... enjoy.

Had to look this up since I wasn't familiar with that title and I thought I knew all her books. I found out that it is the same as Outlander, which is what it is called in the U.S.

Diana Galbadon's Outlander series is fantastic. You won't be sorry you scooped them up.

Other great books I've read recently:

Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series including:

The Eyre Affair (2001)

Lost in a Good Book (2002)

The Well of Lost Plots (2003)

Something Rotten (2004)

First Among Sequels (2007)

Teacher Man by Frank McCourt

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

And I'll always love:

Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas by James Patterson

• 2 weeks later...

Time Travelers Wife is a must read.

Southern Vampire Series (Sookie Stackhouse) books by Charlaine Harris are excellent and are being made into a new series on HBO starring Anna Paquin.

Pride and Prejudice is always good for another read through.

James Patterson books are always pretty addicting for me. Women's Murder Club (1st to die, 2nd chance, etc.) or "You've Been Warned," "The Quickie" etc. I haven't read any of the 'Alex Cross' series yet because the stand alone books are so darn good.

James Patterson is awesome! If you like mystery and romance, definitely read "The Quickie"

mics pics - The Alex Cross series is amazing! So addicting!

• 1 month later...

Here are some books I enjoyed, I also am a big fan of Janet Evanovich (Stephanie Plum), John Grisham (all) , Jodi Picoult (all), Sophie Kinsella (shopaholic series):

Linda Howard:

"Mr. Perfect" , "Up Close and Dangerous", and "Drop Dead Gorgeous".

Proof Positive by Phillip Margolin

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Enjoy! :)

Why not C.S. Forester's Hornblower series (several of which take place in the Caribbean), Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey/Maturin series (source of "Master and Commander"), or Ian Fleming's "Doctor No" (Jamaica), or "Thunderball" (Bahamas).

And dare I mention Paul Gallico's "The Poseidon Adventure"?:eek:

Can you tell I have a penchant for classic adventure?:cool:

While not maritime-related, Jim Butcher's "The Dresden Files" have an entertaining take on what being a modern-day wizard/private detective entails.

• 3 months later...

thanks

sklja

Try Special Relationship by Robyn Sisman. I just finished reading it and I loved it! It takes you back to the 1960's in Oxford London and then flashes forward to the present time involving a presidential candidate and an old flame.

I personally adore anything by Nicholas Sparks! My friend got me hooked on reading anything by him. But be prepared to possibly shed a few tears... The choice made me cry like a baby! (it was a good cry though!) I love his books because they are all placed in the same area with a lot of the same references. They will tug at your heart! I am going to read 'The Wedding' and 'The

Guardian' on my upcoming cruise :D

You can't go wrong with Water For Elephants!

Easy to read, very interesting from the start. Intriguing story of life in the circus in the 30's. (if I remember right)

Starts with a great murder mystery. Very happy ending.

Also, Loving Frank. The story of Frank Lloyd Wright and the woman he left his wife for.

She left her husband and two children, which was unheard of at the time. Very, very interesting, and a "oh, my gosh" ending.

I enjoyed "WICKED The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West" by Gregory Maguire. Or anything by Michael Crition(sp) I never could spell his name right) And some of Stepen Kings books. I don't like to read romance books. But I'm sure you will get plenty of suggetions on here with several topics.

Oh by the way I did see the broadway musical WICKED it was great!!!

I've recently discovered the J.A. Kondrath mysteries: Rusty Nail, Bloody Mary, Whiskey Sour. I would read in order written, they're page-turners and easy reads. But a little more gore than chick lit ....

The heroine is Jacqueline (Jac) Daniels, a female detective in Chicago.

STEPHEN AMBROSE..

Before you jump up and say "all he writes about is war things'... consider the following,

Crazy Horse and Custer: The Parallel Lives of Two American Warriors. Illustrations by Kenneth Francis Dewey. Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1975.

Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the American West. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1996.

Nothing Like It in the World: The Men Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad, 1863-1869. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2000.

All are excellent historical reads...

Archived