Carnival Vs. Princess??

brquick

Planning a cruise to Eastern Caribbean. Choices for the week we are going are Carnival Triumph or Crown Princess. What are the differences between the cruise lines? (have only been on one carnival cruise) I have heard the Princess crowd is an older crowd vs. carnival crowd. Is that true? Even during spring break time?

Planning a cruise to Eastern Caribbean. Choices for the week we are going are Carnival Triumph or Crown Princess. What are the differences between the cruise lines? (have only been on one carnival cruise) I have heard the Princess crowd is an older crowd vs. carnival crowd. Is that true? Even during spring break time?

During spring break, you can expect lots of school aged kids, families, and college kids on just about all cruise lines. Having sailed that time period on both Princess and Carnival. saw little difference in the passenger demographic. Atmosphere is more laid back on Princess; they have the AYWD available (which I don't like, but others do), as well as fresh water in their pools. Princess food is better at the buffets, but you have very limited beverage options. Carnival gets the edge in the main dining rooms, as well as the 24/7 pizza & ice cream (nothing like this on Princess). I'm sure that you will have a great time on either ship.

First, the princess ship is more modern. Second, the cruise line has better food and service than Carnival.

Iguess depends on WHICH Princess ship and which Carnival ship.

Carnival has great food-I just don't like that it attracts a younger crowd for the most part-so I don't fit in. Princess attracts more people my age.

We were carnival junkies. Afraid to take that first Princess cruise because of what we read about it being full of old people-- no nightlife.

But ya know what--carnival has a reputation of being a drunk rowdy crowd too.

So because of the people that refuse to cruise carnival for their reputation I decide to check out Princess last February-

I must say that that cruise on the Caribbean Princess (same as the Crown) ws by far our best cruise to date. We booked the crown for Feb 2009 because of it.

I booked Princess coz I wanted to see the difference in a cruise when I am not tied to a dinner time==

We made it to the dining room once all week the buffet was that good.

First night was a seafood dinner. Crab legs, lobster claws, shrimp oh my. DSO told me I ate the ocean dry that day. The other nights we ate at the buffet we were entertained with music of the theme-- mexican night had marichi bands. German night had an accordian musician. Tablkes are set with tableclothes, glassware and silverware. There are waiters going about getting you drinks etc.. even bar waiters.

differences? carnival has free icead tea, lemonade and fruit punch.

Princess has free iced tea== but their soda card is affordable where carnival wanted almost 50 bucks for a 7 day card for one person i got 2 soda cards for 62.00

Carnival has 24 hour free ice cream and princess its only available at dinner or certain times at the buffet.

Pizza== carnival has pizza 24 hours a day== Princess has pizza just not around the clock.

Princess has a nicer room service menu-- i can get hot dogs and hamburgers delivered to my room.

Carnival cabins are bigger.

On Princess shows were done at 3 different times so if one time conflicted with something else we didnt have to do without.

On Princess we were WOW'ed from the moment we got on til the minute we got off.

Comparing the CArnival Triumph with the Caribbean Princess.... bet there is a huge price difference too

We were carnival junkies. Afraid to take that first Princess cruise because of what we read about it being full of old people-- no nightlife.

So because of the people that refuse to cruise carnival for their reputation I decide to check out Princess last February-

I must say that that cruise on the Caribbean Princess (same as the Crown) ws by far our best cruise to date. We booked the crown for Feb 2009 because of it.

I booked Princess coz I wanted to see the difference in a cruise when I am not tied to a dinner time==

First night was a seafood dinner. Crab legs, lobster claws, shrimp oh my. DSO told me I ate the ocean dry that day. The other nights we ate at the buffet we were entertained with music of the theme-- mexican night had marichi bands. German night had an accordian musician. Tablkes are set with tableclothes, glassware and silverware. There are waiters going about getting you drinks etc.. even bar waiters.

Princess has free iced tea== but their soda card is affordable where carnival wanted almost 50 bucks for a 7 day card for one person i got 2 soda cards for 62.00

Carnival has 24 hour free ice cream and princess its only available at dinner or certain times at the buffet.

Pizza== carnival has pizza 24 hours a day== Princess has pizza just not around the clock.

Princess has a nicer room service menu-- i can get hot dogs and hamburgers delivered to my room.

On Princess shows were done at 3 different times so if one time conflicted with something else we didnt have to do without.

Comparing the CArnival Triumph with the Caribbean Princess.... bet there is a huge price difference too

When were you on Princess? When were on the Caribbean Princess in October 06 there were only two shows-and that was one of my few gripes ( that and the fact that the piano bar had such a popular guy we could never find a seat there) that we had to come 45 minutes early to get a seat as the show lounge did not hold enough people. I am glad they added a third show.

The Truimph is getting some age on it-so I am not sure I would want to cruise the truimph-but the Legend or the Miracle-I would crusie them-if the savings over Princess was enough!

I totally agree. Also on the Crown we ordered pizza for room service.

And they were giving out fresh cookies on the lido deck every afternoon.

To me there are alot of extras they have that really make up for the small difference IMO.....

When were you on Princess? When were on the Caribbean Princess in October 06 there were only two shows-and that was one of my few gripes ( that and the fact that the piano bar had such a popular guy we could never find a seat there) that we had to come 45 minutes early to get a seat as the show lounge did not hold enough people. I am glad they added a third show.!

February 2007 - it was the same shows but was done at different times.

On Carnival you had two choices one of which was during a dining time. So no real choice to that. and many other shows overlapped another or you had to go from one area to the other to see something you wanted to-- we didnt find that to be the case on the CB,.

http://www.cruisedailies.com/portal/tabid/406/Default.aspx

February 2007 - it was the same shows but was done at different times.

On Carnival you had two choices one of which was during a dining time. So no real choice to that. and many other shows overlapped another or you had to go from one area to the other to see something you wanted to-- we didnt find that to be the case on the CB,.

http://www.cruisedailies.com/portal/tabid/406/Default.aspx

Serene, normally there is a show for 1st seating and another show for 2nd seating. On some lines the second seating show is while 1st seating is at dinner- sometimes the second seating show runs after the first seating show-still you were requested to attend the show by your dinner seating. This is the way it has been on all the lines I have been on that had traditionial dinning. Carnival, the Princess cruise I did before Princess had anytime dinning, Celebrity, RCI, Disney, and the HAL cruise we did when they had just traditionial seating. So Carnival is not the only line that does that.

Since Princess now has more anytime dinning choices then traditionial dinning- (only 1 third of the PAX can have traditionial dinning) I guess it depends on when you went to dinner which show you did. We usually ate around 6:30 pm and since the first show was around 8:30-we were in time for the first show. One night we ate dinner a little later and although the first show had not started when we had finished dinner-there were no seats-so we went to the second show.

But as I said, with 3 show times-I think that should be better. The show lounge only held around 500 people, maybe a little over and with 3000 people on ship-with 2 shows, less then half could see the shows. I know not everyone cares for the shows, but I do believe most do want to see the shows-so I felt the show lounge needed to be bigger or else the same show repeated 2 nights in a roll or something-to make it so that everyone who wanted to see the shows could. It sounds like Princess came up with a solution.

Mom- do you think it was done because we sailed during Presidents week and the ship was at capacity a few months before sailing?

So when we go on the Crown next year it might not be like that?

Mom- do you think it was done because we sailed during Presidents week and the ship was at capacity a few months before sailing?

So when we go on the Crown next year it might not be like that?

I have no idea about that-but maybe because Princess added the anytime dinning a third show was needed. Heck with even 3 shows, almost half would not get to see the show. I am hoping Princess just made that a policy on the grand class ships. Myabe you should call Princess and ask?

Our next cruise is HAL and they have added the anytime dining-half of the PAX gets that. I wonder how they will do the shows.

Archived