how to post a video

Papasaurus

We are cruising in October and would like to make a good video of the cruise and post it. How do you go about doing this. It could take me a little time to do it but I have access to some great editing equipment and would like to share it with others who might be cruising for the first time.

Thanks for the help.

We are cruising in October and would like to make a good video of the cruise and post it. How do you go about doing this. It could take me a little time to do it but I have access to some great editing equipment and would like to share it with others who might be cruising for the first time.

Thanks for the help.

I'll start with few of my recommendations.

First, I'd recommend taking far more shoots than you think you'll need. Think of 10 to 1 ratio, for every 10 minutes of clip, you'll likely use only about 1 minute of it after editing.

Second, have enough recording media on hand to take it all in, mini-DVD/DV tapes/Flash cards/hard drive media/other tapes. If you have hard drive camcorders, be sure to allow the raw clips to be transferred to a storage medium, like Firestore compact disks, or bring laptop and external hard drive.

Third, stabilizing device like monopods/tripods/etc. for the establishing shots and time lapse stuff you might want to do. Also great doubling it as self portrait camera shoots and stuff. Beside, it makes for much more enjoyable video to view.

Fourth, have a large enough gear bag for the accessories and supplies. Don't forget the cleaning lens kit, hardware repair do-it-yourself kit, extra high-capacity batteries, etc.

Fifth, have light device if you want cleaner, less noisier dark scene shoots.

Sixth, have external microphone, for less distracting sound. You can mask some errors in the editing phase.

Good to have wide angle lens attachment. It will give it a more cinematic feel. Plus the ship's tight space will be better captured with it.

If this is an new camera, be sure to get familiar with all it's capabilities and advanced settings, and to test out the sound output before you go recording.

I'm sure others will chime with their recommendations

There are many sites that allows video sharing, from low quality stream to high definition.

There are now some sites that allows you to make money by having advertising space sharing with your clip.

For this explanation, let's use YouTube as an example. You Tube recently upgraded its video stream quality to 640x480 pixel resolution.

YouTube for example have different accounts for posting video. Basic account allows up to 10 minutes of video clip. Director's account allows far more.

You can edit your video in many file formats; WMV, MPEG 2, MPEG4, AVI, DivX. For the Mac using H.264 AVi file CODEC is very efficient.

Be sure you match your video clip screen aspect ratio with the correct file upload screen ratio (4:3 or 16:9) If you use a 16:9 production with 4:3 finished product, your picture will look narrowed. So for a 16:9 project, you will want to use pixel size of 720x400 or thereabout, instead of the 640x480.

For video, use higher bitrate for better picture.

For audio, use MP3 codec stereo or mono, at 16 bit 44 Khz, 128 kbps.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with everything that Head Shot has said, especially the idea about taking as many pictures and as much video as possible--more than you think you will ever need. This is general advice given by almost all professional photographers. Take twenty pictures and you're sure to get at least 2 or 3 really good ones.

There are a few shots that you can plan ahead of time for story telling purposes:

1. Arrivals

2. Departures

3. Key moments (dining room, etc.)

4. Pictures of the ship in port

5. Pictures of the food

6. Pictures of your room

7. Sunsets

8. Signs

I'm sure there are others. Multiple angles of the same thing (or activity) can sometimes be dramatic. And always have your camera ready for those shots that you can't anticipate. Don't forget a liberal supply of batteries!! Carry them with you.

I agree with everything that Head Shot has said, especially the idea about taking as many pictures and as much video as possible--more than you think you will ever need. This is general advice given by almost all professional photographers. Take twenty pictures and you're sure to get at least 2 or 3 really good ones.

There are a few shots that you can plan ahead of time for story telling purposes:

1. Arrivals

2. Departures

5. Pictures of the food

6. Pictures of your room

7. Sunsets

8. Signs

I'm sure there are others. Multiple angles of the same thing (or activity) can sometimes be dramatic. And always have your camera ready for those shots that you can't anticipate. Don't forget a liberal supply of batteries!! Carry them with you.

...and to add to what Nautilus said, the establishing shots would make the video production more smoother. Establishing shot can be like panoramic shot of the entire 360 degree view from the upper deck, for instance. It can be wide angle view before the closer up subject view. It is usually a view of location where the next set of shots will involve.

This will give additional materials for transitions to scene cuts, to establish location of the next shot, or will give added materials for your headers and trailers to the story line.

For instance, in one of my video clip: The panning of camera outdoor of the Viking Crown, cut to next scene of the Hip Hop dance class that takes place inside the Viking Crown lounge.

Number 8 of Nautilus' suggestion is a great idea to provide a ready made way to label your video - another narrative technique.

A new wrinkle to these suggestion is now the inability to take shots while boarding or debarkation, a security issue. I just edit the guards yelling part out.:D

• 1 month later...

1. Arrivals

2. Departures

5. Pictures of the food

6. Pictures of your room

7. Sunsets

8. Signs

Hi,

Just wanted to say I thoroughly enjoyed your video which is featured on the front page. I am amazed how you capture a trip in such an enjoable way in such a short amount of time. I would love to begin doing this. I especially like the mix oh photos, videos and title screens. Would you have a suggestion for a very user friendly program I might start with. Thank you very much for your time and please keep the videos coming, they're awesome

Tara

• 2 months later...
Hi,

Just wanted to say I thoroughly enjoyed your video which is featured on the front page. I am amazed how you capture a trip in such an enjoable way in such a short amount of time. I would love to begin doing this. I especially like the mix oh photos, videos and title screens. Would you have a suggestion for a very user friendly program I might start with. Thank you very much for your time and please keep the videos coming, they're awesome

Tara

Tara,

I'm a little slow answering this, but I don't have time to check back too often.

I don't know if any program is truly user friendly. I use the free program that comes with windows: Windows Movie Maker. There is an equivalent on Macs. They aren't hard to figure out, but the Window's program has a tendency to crash a lot. Windows, though, has a good, active community. I'd start here:

http://www.desilucy.com/index.php?lvl=4

Archived