Strange Happening In Key West And Stingray

LADYBUG34113

I dont think you folks are understanding what happened here, cause i didnt till i heard the radio news report.

Boat was cruising along at 25-30 mph. String ray jumps out of water strikes the women in the face. The blunt trama of being hit by anything in the face when cruising along at 30 miles a hour would likely kill you. It just happen to be the ray was the object that stuck her.

Very sad.

Yep. Thats exactly what happened in the Gulf off Bradenton. The ray was about #300.

We were going to do this in GC but now I don't think so! Holly cow:confused: My heart goes out to her family.

You are more likely to win the lottery ten times then to have this happen to you!!

Again she wasnt killed by the ray attacking her, it was a total fluke.

You are more likely to win the lottery ten times then to have this happen to you!!

Again she wasnt killed by the ray attacking her, it was a total fluke.

True, it could have been any large fish that jumped at exactly the right time. Nothing anyone did caused this and it couldn't have been predicted. Doing the stingray excursion has absolutely no connection to this event in any way, except rays are involved.

Dont let this change your mind on Sting Ray city in Grand Cayman. It is truly and experience NOT to miss. I am afraid of creepy crawly things and loved the sting rays. They are very tame and it would be such a rare thing to get barbed.

The rays that are in Grand Cayman were not the same kind as that one. The type that hit that lady weigh up to 500 lbs. The ones in Grand Cayman are much smaller. I can see why she would be killed getting hit by something that large at 30 miles per hour. Doesn't deter me from going to see the rays.

Dont let this change your mind on Sting Ray city in Grand Cayman. It is truly and experience NOT to miss. I am afraid of creepy crawly things and loved the sting rays. They are very tame and it would be such a rare thing to get barbed.

Just love how folks hit reply and dont even read anything in the thread.

We could be discussing the mating habits of flying tree squirrels, and she would be discussing the women who got barbed that didnt even happen. :D

I see sting rays when I go wade fishing. I do the shuffle so I don't get barbed. This lady was killed because she struck her head on the boat after the ray jumped out of the water and hit her in the head. freak accident caused by a jumping ray and a moving boat. If she would have fell due to the boat rocking and cracked her head open, would you also cancel your cruise?

Just love how folks hit reply and dont even read anything in the thread.

We could be discussing the mating habits of flying tree squirrels, and she would be discussing the women who got barbed that didnt even happen. :D

I was not talking about the woman who was killed today being barbed. I was referring to the post where the person said their 10 year old daughter was barbed. So maybe YOU are the one who needs to wait until you hit reply before being so rude and making assumtions that are not there. Itds obvious YOU did not read the thread. I never ever mentioned the woman who was killed today was barbed. Sheesh!!!!

Thanks for the reassurances and clarification, guys. I wasn't a bit phobic about it before so I don't know why I became paranoid now! My kids think the Stingray excursion (we're looking at Moby Dick) is going to be the coolest thing ever besides the dolphin swim in Cozumel. :D

Their website is very clear about the safety of his excursion but you never know with any animal. I am sure I'll go with a smile and have a great time! :)

Sorry. I did not post this to scare anyone from swimming with stingrays. This has happened before but with other large fish jumping out of the boat. This is not your usual stingray that are at excursions, as someone mentioned. They are seen in the Gulf and Caribbean. But, when you are snorkeling or doing snuba, just remember to do the "stringray shuffle". I read that they rarely jump but if they are being chased by a shark, clearing their gills, or birthing, they will jump. When they birth, they will jump and do a water slam and that helps release the baby.

We are not cancelling our excursion with the stingrays because as mentioned, they are different and this was one of those freaky accidents. I am still looking forward to swimming with them.

Thanks for the great pictures!

I absolutely loved the stingray excursion when we were in GC. I thought that was the coolest thing to do, to be able to hold in my arms a stingray was priceless. I would do it again and again in less than a heart beat of a second!!

Archived