Kauai Vacation Home for a week & Kona too.

luv2travel2beaches

I know this is the cruise board and normally I use it for our cruises. I am trying to find out any info I can and I'm not having any luck on other travel boards. I know all of you cruisers are great sources of info. We have a group of 15 staying at a vacation home on Kauai (North Shore area near Princeville). We are looking for money saving suggestions for buying groceries, renting cars, farmers markets, great dining locations etc. If any of you have any great suggestions I would LOVE to hear them. Also, can anyone tell me if things such as diapers and baby formula are really expensive in Hawaii as compared to the mainland? We have 2 babies going and we are trying to decide if it is worth hauling 2 weeks worth of diapers and formula with us, or is it just as cost effective to buy them in Hawaii when we get there. Thanks SO MUCH for any help you can offer.

We will also be in Kona on the Big Island for a few days too. So any info on The Big Island is helpful also.

There's a Costco on the Big Island where you might find your diapers and/or formula for better-than-grocery store prices. If I remember correctly, you pass it on your way into Kailua Kona from the airport. As for recommendations, if Volcanoes National Park isn't on your list of things to do on the Big Island, add it in. It's spectacular if you've never been and still awe-inspiring if you have been. The road down to the active lava flow isn't to be missed. Time your trip there to be there after sundown - you'll be able to see the glow from the flowing lava from quite a distance. Just know you'll need flashlights to get back to your cars. Last time I went they had a shack that rented/sold the flashlights. We had three for six of us - six for six of us would have been better! Also stop in the visitor's center and look for a small booklet that is a driving guide of the park. It has you set your odometer to zero and then tells you what you're seeing at various mileage spots. Lots of the National Parks have these kinds of books and the one for Volcanoes National Park is terrific!

It's been too long since I've been to Kauai to answer you other questions, although almost all the towns have local farmer markets - you just need to be there on the right day(s). You can eat somewhat economically if you either go to happy hours at many of the restaurant bars or just eat in the bar and order off the bar menu. This doesn't work so well if there are underage folks with your group, but for adults, it's a great way to go to some of the nicer restaurants and get away for cheaper than normal AND have some great sunset views. That's always my goal when in Hawaii - snorkel during the day and drinks and puupuus watching the sunset somewhere at the end of the day!

Have a terrific time!

We're heading to Oahu & Kauai next month for a land vacation ... lots of helpful advice on this forum:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g29218-i304-Kauai_Hawaii.html

For car rentals, I used: http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/ - good prices and quick response. (The rental is arranged by them directly with the car rental agency, so you will receive confirmation directly from the rental agency, but often at a lower price than you can arrange on your own.)

Have fun!:)

• 2 weeks later...

Baby diapers cost a little more, but I would say don't try and lug a bunch, just buy some when you get in. I like Pampers - the price for a case at both Walmart and Kmart for a size 4 - 92 count is $22.99 ( all cases the same price just different number of diapers for size). I think these would be like $19.99 on the mainland. The smallest packages are like $12.99 - $14.99 (I never buy those).

Costco has huggies and kirkland brand - I don't buy them so I don't know the price. I also don't buy formula. Generally, buy from Costco first then try Walmart of Kmart if they don't have it. Grocery stores much more of course.

I would be happy to try and answer any other "baby/kid" type questions you may have. I live on the South side of the Island ( Kalaheo) and am not as familiar with the North side. I am also a new to the island moved here in August. I have three kids 8,6, 17 months.

gkeep thank you SO MUCH. That is extremely helpful. I agree that the savings isn't worth lugging the diapers and formula along. Lucky you....moving to Kauai! Can you tell me if there is anywhere on Kauai to rent (short term) things like car booster seats (besides the car rental place) or pack and plays?

Thanks again for your help!

Karla

Luv 2: Are you by chance staying at Pali Ke Kua?? My son stayed there 2 years ago and if you have one of the units facing the ocean, the view is fantastic. Most units there are on high cliffs and I'm not sure how far it is to a useable beach. There was a market in town with a reasonable selection of goods but I'm sure prices will be out of sight at this time. Honolulu has a Sam's and Wal Mart but I would not want to haul stuff from there to Kauai.

John L.

Can you tell me if there is anywhere on Kauai to rent (short term) things like car booster seats (besides the car rental place) or pack and plays?

Sorry, I do not know of any place that does this. There aren't any baby/kid consignment shops either. ( there was one but it closed) I do see an occasional plea for rentals of these items posted on craigslist.com, but honestly, it doesn't get alot of traffic ( at least in the Baby and kids section) and I don't know how successful they are at getting answers. You could try.

I would see if the place you are staying might have access to a pack and play. As far as car seat, I would think you would want to bring your own as I know the car rental places cost $$$. You could probably buy one when you get here for cheaper than a two week car seat rental. Kmart has the best baby stuff section, walmart has some too. You could always donate it when you left.

Sorry, I do not know of any place that does this. There aren't any baby/kid consignment shops either. ( there was one but it closed) I do see an occasional plea for rentals of these items posted on craigslist.com, but honestly, it doesn't get alot of traffic ( at least in the Baby and kids section) and I don't know how successful they are at getting answers. You could try.

I would see if the place you are staying might have access to a pack and play. As far as car seat, I would think you would want to bring your own as I know the car rental places cost $$$. You could probably buy one when you get here for cheaper than a two week car seat rental. Kmart has the best baby stuff section, walmart has some too. You could always donate it when you left.

Thanks. That is what I kind of expected. We were thinking we might have to buy a car seat. The place we are staying does have 1 pack and play but we are bringing 2 babies! My daughter's babies are less than 2 days apart in age. Thanks for the info....we will be heading for K-Mart when we arrive I am sure! : )

No John, we aren't staying at the same place. We are in a large house. I don't think we are real close to the beach. But we will be happy because we are a heck of a lot closer to the beach on Kauai then we are here in Kansas!

You might want to look into stroll and go strollers. I think that's the name. They're a bit pricey, but it's a car seat that you can use on the plane and in the car and then wheels pop out of the bottom and a handle comes out the top. IF the babies are sleeping you don't have to remove them from the seat at all. We used it for ds7 until he was 3.

We found Kauai had the best "local" restaurants and fresh produce. We loved meeting the locals. Just be forewarned there are roosters EVERYWHERE. Very odd to a mainlander who lives in the suburbs. We also found that they cock a doodle dooed all night when we rented a house there.

You don't say how little the babies are, but Poipu beach is perfect for little ones. Even adults can just sit there in waist deep water with the babies without worrying about waves.

Have fun!!!

LOVE the one in Kauai.. right by the airport (so, unf. it will be a bit of a haul from Princeville). I'd suggest doing a "run" there to load up on provisions. You'll a wonderful assortment of foods (to grille etc), snacks and clothing at really good prices. LOVED the fresh fish (and really reasonable for great quality) to grille (DH loved marlin), poke (can get to try it before buying) -- shrimp, ahi and other variety and of course beef. Found the prices about on par (or just a tad higher) than mainland. Milk prices were about $2 cheaper per gallon. I'd suggest driving down and have adults do shopping while leaving others at beach near Marriott to "chill" (of course w/adult supervising). The gas prices there are lowest on island. With a large group it will definitely be worth a trip down.

We've been to Kauai twice the last 2 Xmas and will be heading back this Xmas. This time we'll be staying in Princeville for week but will make at least one Costco run.

Carolyn

I would think a Costco membership is definately worth it for that many people going. Then you would have it to use for the rest of the year if someone in your group has one where they live. Along with the normal food stuff you would buy, they have a lot of great souvenier stuff - some aloha shirts, lots of great books for Hawaii ( cook books, picture, kids) , lots of great Hawaiian treats and candy ( mac nuts).

I was just there yesterday and noticed the Kirland brand formula was $19.99 for two large cans of powder. They have another brand there as well. I checked the price of diapers, and they are a little cheaper than the case at the other stores, but you have to buy twice as much. Kirland brand was about $39.00, huggies was $42.00 I think for like 200 diapers. ( which would be a little much I would think, depending on age.)

It is great to know about the souvenier stuff. That helps me make my decision for sure. We have a costco about 25 miles from our home too. But we already belong to Sam's Club which is right by the Costco. So it is a harder decision, but I do think I will go ahead and buy the membership. I was just concerned that food items would be in TOO big of a bulk for us to eat it all in a week. I don't know if we could take the food items from Kauai to Kona if we have some things left.

Costco or Walmart for supplies. On Kauai the cheapest grocery store is Safeway in Kapaa, you can stop there on the way to Princeville from the airport. Do the babies have their own airline seats? If so, just take their car seats from home and strap them in on the airplane, much safer in an emergency anyway. Make sure they are approved for airline travel. Otherwise you can check them as luggage.

The Dolphin is our favorite restaurant on Kauai, in Hanalei. Favorite beach Kee beach at the end of the road past Hanalei. Poipu beach is good for kids as is Lydgate which has rock enclosed pools safe for the little ones. Do get the Ultimate Guide books for Kauai and the Big Island, these are the best books for finding the best beaches, activities lodging and shopping, essential!

I do have the ultimate guides for both islands and there is lots of great info in them. We don't have seats for the babies as they will still be pretty young (5 1/2 months). We have quite a few people going together so lots of help with the young ones! :D Thanks for all of the wonderful tips.

I second the recommendations for Costco memberships. Food any other place than there tends to be very expensive.

IMHO, one of the truly great places for a meal anywhere in the world is Cafe Hanalei at the Princeville Resort. It's on the expensive side, but the view is WOW! They have a Sunday brunch unlike I've ever seen.

Archived