Does anyone eat lunch after embarkation in the sit-down dining rooms vs. the buffet?

LakelandCat

Hi all! For some reason in all our cruises we never thought of eating lunch after first embarking in a sit-down dining room. Of course we are so hungry from being in the airports since early am that we go straight to the Garden Cafe for food ASAP. This will be a first cruise for my parent-in-laws so I thought maybe it would be nice for their first meal to be in the dining room instead of the crowded buffet the day we arrive. Is it true you can eat in one of the main dining rooms for lunch the day of arrival? Does anyone know the hours of operation? Thank you much...we are leaving in a weekon the Jewel. Happy cruising.

What a quick reply...thank you. I wondered why I really never heard anyone mention it to us on boarding....it is always "go the the buffet," which is usually fine but we may do it differently this time. I have never heard the staff mention it so I guess they still are probably getting everything set up for the next cruise. Seems like after a day of travel and being tired this would be a nice way to relax and start things off. I appreciate the comments.

As soon as we get onboard we always head for the dining room that day for lunch. Keep in mind the later you go the longer the lines. There are still a lot of passengers that are not aware you can even do that. Mums the word! LOL Have a great time!!!

We wnjoyed eating in the Grand Pacific on the Gem the day we boarded. It was not crowded at all. We had a window seat and could watch the pier as security inspected the food and other supplies to come aboard as well as the many semi trucks that came and went.

Yes, they try to discourage you from eating there. We found it relaxing and enjoyable.

Until the last cruise we had always done the buffet or the outside food. Thanks to comments shared here, this time we did the dining room and found it very quiet and relaxing. They will try to steer you to the buffet. Just say thank you and head to the dining room. It was nice.

Maybe I should take this post off now....everyone will now know (like me) you can go to the main D.R. Oops! LOL

Not a big secret, really. I can remember reading about it in a few different posts here. :D

Can't wait to check it out on the Gem in May!

Hi all! For some reason in all our cruises we never thought of eating lunch after first embarking in a sit-down dining room. Of course we are so hungry from being in the airports since early am that we go straight to the Garden Cafe for food ASAP. This will be a first cruise for my parent-in-laws so I thought maybe it would be nice for their first meal to be in the dining room instead of the crowded buffet the day we arrive. Is it true you can eat in one of the main dining rooms for lunch the day of arrival? Does anyone know the hours of operation? Thank you much...we are leaving in a weekon the Jewel. Happy cruising.

We will be heading straight to the Venetian on the Dawn against any crew suggestions we try the buffet. It's much less crowded and it's nice to have a sit down meal and plan the first day's activities.

Hint: Make sure you bring a hi-liter to mark your daily.

Enjoy your embarkation day lunch and the rest of your cruise.

If we get on board while it's available we always head for the dining room instead of the buffet. (the hours are limited on embarkation day)

I've never understood why they try so hard to get everyone to go the buffet if the dining room is open. If they don't want anyone there, why do they bother to open it? It's all a puzzlement to me.

We always head to the main dining room after we embark. It is nice and relaxing. Great way to see the dining room during the day as well. The Grand Pacific on the Gem is lovely. No matter how hungry you are, you will relax and get into 'cruise' mode quickly!

We ate lunch on the Star at the main dining room. The crew tries to discourage it, saying long lines etc. but whne we got there, it was empty.

-Michelle:)

Is the Versailles the main dining room on the Star? We will plan to have lunch there when we sail.

We always head to the main dining room after we embark. It is nice and relaxing. Great way to see the dining room during the day as well. The Grand Pacific on the Gem is lovely. No matter how hungry you are, you will relax and get into 'cruise' mode quickly!

That pretty much sums up how my wife & I feel about eating in the dining room on embarkation day. Some feel their cruise starts when the leave home, some when they arrive on the ship-to us it's all more real when we sit down in the dining room and just sort of grin across the table!

It ususally takes a couple hours to get that darn grin off my face :D

As others have noted, the "welcoming" staff may actively discourage you from going to the main dining room. And I share mbisson's puzzlement related to opening the room but discouraging passengers from going there. To my way of thinking, a dining room is either open or closed.

When I boarded the Gem last October, the staff lied to me about the main dining room being crowded and stating "the dining room manager told us there are lines waiting to get in" or something to that effect. I smiled politely and said "OK, we'll go to the buffet", but I promptly went to the main dining room. The Grand Pacific dining room was far from being crowded; virtually empty, in fact.

I guess you can assume that the others passengers you see having lunch in the main dining room on embarkation day are probably readers of Cruise Critic or frequent NCL cruisers "in the know" ;)

I guess you can assume that the others passengers you see having lunch in the main dining room on embarkation day are probably readers of Cruise Critic ;)

Membership has its privileges ;) LOL

-Monte

Guest Anorak33

When we travel in a suite or above we go to Cagneys, it has always been open for us on embarkation day and very quiet.

Even the Concierge has told us it wasn't open then but its simply not true, I believe they try to limit it unofficially to Courtyard passengers who seem to us to get most of the Concierge's attention these days.

Eating that first lunch in the main dining room is the way I know I'm really on a cruise! We didn't know about it for our first two cruises, but now it's definitely part of the tradition.

First meal in the main dining room, first bowl of chilled soup. Last time, we specifically took a photo of that first bite of chilled soup for the benefit of the kids who weren't with us! Nothing like rubbing it in!

YA they always push you toward the buff.

We just smile and keep walking to the the rear of the ship for a nice sit down lunch

Nothing like a cold beer/cocktail to knock back the road dust too>:cool:

c ya on the gem :cool: soon

Shhh, we need to keep this info a secret. We will be on the Gem in 2 weeks. Our bus will arrive (I think) around 1. Does anyone know how late we could arrive at the dining room for lunch? It does sound like a great way to start things off. Thanks, Kathy

Archived