Is everyone on the cruise thin?!

CruisinChick7

OK, first-timer here.

I've never cruised before so I have no idea what to expect! I'm heavy and a bit anxious about this. :confused: Is everyone thin and wearing a bikini?! I really hope not. :o

I'm working toward my goal, but have to be realistic--I will probably be carrying an extra 30-40 lbs on my 5'7" frame. Just need some input for realistic expectations here!

Thanks!

:)

In a word NO

You will see people of all sizes wearing all sorts of things. It seems I have seen many very overweight men wearing speedos! I am not thin by any means and I do not feel bad wearing a bathing suit. You will see heavy women in bikinis. More power to them for being brave ;)

Back in 2002, I was living my own little 25 year old world with lots of other 20 somethings. I heard a lot about the obesity problem and wondered what the heck they are talking about. And then I went on a cruise. You'll see all shapes and sized. No, not everyone is thin.

OK, first-timer here.

I've never cruised before so I have no idea what to expect! I'm heavy and a bit anxious about this. :confused: Is everyone thin and wearing a bikini?! I really hope not. :o

I'm working toward my goal, but have to be realistic--I will probably be carrying an extra 30-40 lbs on my 5'7" frame. Just need some input for realistic expectations here!

Thanks!

Honey you got NOTHING to worry about! Everyone is there for a good time, NOBODY with probably even give you a second look. I too am CHubby:o But wore my tankini with board short bottoms and I didn't look too bad! Remember there is always someone chubbier than you and that's the truth:D Go have a great time and don't give it a second thought. Believe me you are going to see some REALLY CHUBBY bikini thong gals on your cruise having the time of their lives;)

I was living my own little 25 year old world with lots of other 20 somethings. I heard a lot about the obesity problem and wondered what the heck they are talking about. And then I went on a cruise.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! :D :D Isn't THAT the truth!!! Too funny!

No. There are people on board who are overweight, underweight and everything in between, and then there are those who feel that they must make a fashion statement i.e speedos with belly, 2 piece bikini's with belly...lol.... i'm about 15 pounds O.W but i'm tall so it's not extremely noticable but i know my limits. Know what can "work" for and flatters your body shape before you leave.

I too am CHubby:o But wore my tankini with board short bottoms and I didn't look too bad!

That's exactly what I like to wear!:D

Anway, just wanted to say thanks to everyone for easing my mind. I will keep working toward my weight loss goals, but NOT let the extra lbs ruin my good time!

Thanks for the encouragement!

;) No worries about the weight thing....MOST are overweight somewhat, and amazed at how many young people are overweight and not ashamed of it! You will see all shapes and sizes, and sometimes more skin than you should see! I actually lost weight on the ship due to the variety of "good" foods that are available: fresh fruit every day, veggies, salads, fish and chicken! I always take the stairs, and walk the track with the beautiful view on deck 13! Swimming is great also, and the gym is always hoppin"! So enjoy your vacation, eat well, and keep movin'! :D

This may or may not go over well...but here goes. The funniest thing that happened to us on a cruise relates to your question. We were sitting around the pool with some of the couples we had met during the embarkation process. Long story short, we got back to our room and on the closed circuit tv was the cruise director and the excursion expert were talking about the next day's ports of call. They were sitting around the pool, side-by-side, drinking an umbrella drink talking about all the fun things coming up in the next port. Right between them, this really overweight lady got stuck in the pool ladder. These guys had no clue what was going on in the background behind them. There were 10-15 people pulling and pushing on this lady...trying to un-wedge her from the ladder. This went on for 5-10 minutes...and was absolutely hilarious! There are a lot of details I left out...but to shorten it, I'll wrap up with the rest of the story. We were waiting for the tender boat the next day, talking about the event. All of a sudden the lady behind me said...that was me. She said she got back to her cabin and saw that on the tv and had a great laugh. She was a great sport. They actually cut it out of the video, so we were trying to get a "underground" copy from the video guy...but they wouldn't let us have it. Anyway, the real lesson is to be willing to laugh at yourself and don't take life too seriously! We are all shaped differently and all have our strengths and weaknesses...that's what makes the world tick. I think we all try to lose weight before a cruise...but we ALL gain weight during the trip!

I sure hope this makes sense...if you are offended then I didn't do a good job writing a summary of this story. I don't mean to offend anyone!

I am a big girl and I will have at least 2 skirtinis to wear on my first cruise (although it will probably just be in the hot tub since I will be in Alaska). Most of the time, no one look past my chest long enough to see how big the rest of me is no matter what I am wearing! lol Furthermore, anyone who does not want to see me in my swimwear can go back to their cabin! I may be the size of two people but I paid that much for my cruise so.....lol:D

All of a sudden the lady behind me said...that was me. She said she got back to her cabin and saw that on the tv and had a great laugh. She was a great sport.

That is too funny!!! I would have been mortified and amused at the same time if it was me. This reminds me of something I told my daughter about being teased at school. You either have to laugh with them or turn the teasing around to a compliment or come back with something better. I then told her about my cousin calling me fat when I was about 12. I told him "Yes but you are ugly and I can lose weight!" All of our other cousins enjoyed my comeback and he left me alone after that.

All that said, if you don't like who you are or how you look and don't do anything to change it, then you shouldn't be angry if someone else mirrors what you project. I have dated many men who "don't like big girls" but loved my confidence and personality. Love the you that you are - it doesn't matter if anyone else does!!!

Getting off of my soapbox now!

NOOO!!

Thank you, Lord, for that gift! :) Normal people. Like you'd see any where, in any touristy place. Young and old, white and browned. I had lost a lot of weight before our trip, late 2006 (not for the cruise, just lucky). Still, I was not all mentally prepared to don a swim suit & play around the pool area...

There were ALL manner of bodies, bleached, bloated & and those that should be on the front of the ship's advertising or a muscle magazine. Even before I lost weight, I liked to see heavy folks in bathing suits on the beach, at the pool. Confident and happy is the vibe I get. And that's a great thing to be around.

That said, I know Carnival cruises (only line I've used) are not the most upscale, dress-up ships around, but when we were in the 'grill area' (inside, 24 hr ice cream and beverages, plus extensive buffets almost continuously), I did not want to see all these folks in their pool attire. Ok, come in, get in line, get your plate and go. That's not just bigger bodies, that's EVERY BODY. At least throw on a giant tee shirt or something...I don't need to look at anyone's Brazilian-bikini-d bootie or the infamous speedo as I mix-up my morning coffee.

Ok, sorry for the rant! Don't worry and have a great time. By the way, first time I cruised (just 4 days), I did not have any pants that fit to wear off the boat. VERY SAD!

When I was much smaller (8 yrs later), I ate any/everything I wanted, but was running around so much (you know, you will be taking stairs cause you don't want to wait for the elevator, even after you push the button!) - and no, I did not go to the gym or walk around the track - that I lost a couple of pounds. And I was VERY glad I'd brought a swim suit to use to quietly lie out. Cause I really planned not to pack it.

ENJOY YOURSELF and do as much as you can squeeze in - without stressing!

It's a VACATION!

Oh, that first cruise, in 98 ("in my own -younger- world" as someone else said,) I was likely 'clubbing' (on board) and sleeping whenever I wasn't eating. That's why I got much bigger.... And, as someone mentioned, there's so much fresh fruit and other DELICIOUS healthy stuff that if you eat much of that you won't have nearly as much desire for the bad-bad foods. Like I said, not that I watched what I ate, but if you've gotten a yogurt and fruit 30 minutes before the midnight buffett, you can stop after just a COUPLE of plates of desserts!

There are a variety of sizes on all cruises, just as there are a variety of nationalities. Don't be discouraged about your size because you are not alone. Love yourself as you are, enjoy your first cruise.:)

I too am a bit (ok quite a bit!) overweight but hope to lose some more before we cruise next year. I have a certain viewpoint about vacations and swimsuits (and even tho you didn't ask for it, here it is!): 1) the people you came with know what you look like and if you live with them, they know what you look like in underwear, swimsuits etc. They like you and love you and want to have a good time with you. 2) the people you did not come with, you will most likely never see again. Do you really care what they think about how you look? Wear what you feel good/comfortable in, have a good, confident attitude and have a great time!

I too am a bit (ok quite a bit!) overweight but hope to lose some more before we cruise next year. I have a certain viewpoint about vacations and swimsuits (and even tho you didn't ask for it, here it is!): 1) the people you came with know what you look like and if you live with them, they know what you look like in underwear, swimsuits etc. They like you and love you and want to have a good time with you. 2) the people you did not come with, you will most likely never see again. Do you really care what they think about how you look? Wear what you feel good/comfortable in, have a good, confident attitude and have a great time!

That has to be THE best comment I have read on here --- Thank You

WOW! Great comment.

I am always very nervous about bathing suit situations. I am on the heavy side of things (but in the process of losing, woo hoo) and I have convictions about modesty so I am always second guessing any situation where I have to wear a swimsuit. Thankfully like some one else said there always seems to be some one bigger than you are and they seem to be confident and let it all hang out so I do not feel like I stick out in the crowd so much.

I dare say that in swimsuit wearing situations I usually see MORE IMPERFECT bodies and perfect bodies.

I want to thank everyone that posted on this topic. I am SO grateful for your honesty. I am going on my first cruise this year and have been feeling a little anxious about the swimsuit issue. I have quite a bit of weight to lose so swimsuits are not my friends! Now tell me that the spa is not just for hard-bodies because I want to pamper myself and buy a spa pass.

My thoughts: Everyone is going to be staring at either the blonde beach bunny in the thong or the morbidly obese person in the thong. You are going to fall somewhere in between those two extremes so nobody is going to look at you anyway :)

I want to thank everyone that posted on this topic. I am SO grateful for your honesty. I am going on my first cruise this year and have been feeling a little anxious about the swimsuit issue. I have quite a bit of weight to lose so swimsuits are not my friends! Now tell me that the spa is not just for hard-bodies because I want to pamper myself and buy a spa pass.

Excellent thoughts as I prepare for my own first cruise as a pretty-darned-big person. My husband (who is 6'10" and THIN) loves me as I am, as I was when we started dating, so that should be all that matters.

Thanks for that perspective. I will not sit idly by and watch my vacation go by as an observer. I will participate in my own life--no matter what size I am!

Debra

Archived