Celebrity and Azamara Now Offering Wedding At Sea? Any comparison to Princess?

NCFleur

My FI and I are first time cruisers and have our hearts set on a wedding at sea. We thought that Princess was our only choice. Not that we're unhappy with that choice. We've heard great things about Princess.

But....

I read a post today from sueknice and she pointed to an article that said that Celebrity and Azamara will soon be offering at sea weddings. Here's the article:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2402

Since we're first time cruisers, we really don't have any past experience to go on so I'd love to hear other's opinions on Celebrity and Azamara compared to Princess?

We're planning to cruise May 09 and are leaning towards Alaska. The date is firm, location could be flexible. We've made no other decisions.

I'm hesitant to be a "guinea pig" for a cruiseline that is just starting to offer wedding service, but if ya'll think Celebrity or Azamara are really superior to Princess, I'd at least consider it.

I've sailed on Princess and Celebrity (and am getting married at sea on Princess in 2 weeks). Personally, I really prefer Princess to Celebrity overall, but especially in Alaska (Princess has so many options there--sea and land).

It really depends on what you are looking for. Some of my observations are:

Celebrity is more formal (formal attire required throughout the evening in all public areas on formal nights, traditional dining). Princess is not really a party cruise line, but it tends to be more flexible (anytime dining or traditional dining, formal attire required in the dining rooms on formal nights, but only suggested for other areas throughout the evening).

I did enjoy the food on Celebrity, but I have never not liked the food on Princess.

The process to get off the ship in ports has seemed much smoother on Princess. We waited in line up five decks to get off in some ports on Celebrity.

Again, it really depends on what you (and your guests) are looking for...I would rank them the following way:

Carnival - most relaxed, party atmosphere

Royal Caribbean - relaxed

Princess - pretty relaxed (as relaxed or as formal as you want)

Celebrity - formal

Cunard - very formal

I have had nothing but good experiences with TWE while planning my wedding. On this board it seems that many Princess Brides have better experiences with TWE than those who have used Royal Romance for Royal Caribbean (Celebrity is owned by Royal Caribbean). TWE is the company regardless of if they are called Royal Romance, Carnival Weddings, etc.

Good luck with your planning!

Well I have been on 7 cruises with Princess, and this past Jan my mom, aunt and grandpa decided to try out Celebrity since the price was right. BIG MISTAKE. We complained all week... Old people EVERYWHERE, buffet was nothing compared to Princess and the ship pretty much shuts down after 10.

Now with that said, if it was our cruise, we wouldn't know any better and we would have thought it was the greatest....

Also, if your planning on Alaska... Ive heard Princess does that itinerary best, but not sure why, maybe b/c of the lodge you do before hand

My suggestion... stick with Princess

Good Luck :)

Archived