Scenic Cruising Of Kiluauea Will It Be Stopped?

kakalina

Just read where there was an explosion that has closed parts of Volcano National Parks due to dangerous gases. They are ready to evacuate nearby homes.

I wonder if this will stop the scenic viewing for awhile as they said the gases are blowing out to sea?

Wow! That's too bad. But Pele is not one to be trivial with!!! ;)

The scenic cruising could be withdrawn for a while, until danger is past. I know that health and safety are paramount in the eyes of the cruise lines.

We did a sail-by last month on the Zaandam. One of the deck officers told us that we were 2 miles off-shore and we could sure smell the sulfur odor even that far away. But, the view was great.

I just returned from Zaandam's March 4-19 cruise. Although Kilauea was more active (prior to the explosive eruption), and some land tours were altered due to sulphuric fumes, the "show" offshore as we did the sail-by at night after Kailua-Kona was very disappointing to those of us who've done this before. Far less activity than previous cruises - quite surprising.

Archived