bringing food onboard

I'm Dutch and while visiting Curacao I would love to buy several food items at the Dutch Supermarket. Obviously all will be packed items due to customs going back to the US (they don't allow fresh meats etc)but are there any limitations with RCI with bringing food items back onboard? I'm only planning on buying vacuum packed cheeses and other packed items (cookies, spices etc) Thanks

You Dutch are a bunch of Cheese-heads - and I should know as my best friend is Dutch, and ALWAYS brings many a kilo of his prized cheese and random strange foods back from Europe :)

BTW - his 40 foot catamaran is named (please excuse the spelling) Kaaskopcia (or something to that extent - supposed to mean something like little cheese head :rolleyes: ).

They will allow you to bring back as much tasty cheese as you can carry...

Ha ha your spelling wasn't far of at all. I understood it. "Kaaskopje" which indeed means cheesehead. Yep we LOVE our cheese and I'm just very happy that I'm able to go shopping in a Dutch supermarket without going all the way to europe:)

I know you can bring certain cheeses into the US and Canada, but you may want to do some research on the Department of Agriculture and Customs websites before you invest a bunch of money in this. I had a friend who had a bunch of food chucked in the garbage when she tried to cross the border with it.

I'm Dutch and while visiting Curacao I would love to buy several food items at the Dutch Supermarket. Obviously all will be packed items due to customs going back to the US (they don't allow fresh meats etc)but are there any limitations with RCI with bringing food items back onboard? I'm only planning on buying vacuum packed cheeses and other packed items (cookies, spices etc) Thanks

I don't know if there are rules...but I have done it many a time...never meats either...but cheeses and spices, jams, candy and cookies, canned goods...I don't hide them and no one has ever said anything...I have traveled a lot...

Not sure about meats but we brought back 20 lbs. of cheese last time we were in Aruba with no problem on the ship. Now....having to pack it in suitcases and trying not to go over the limit....another story:rolleyes:

Check the agriculture page just to make sure and even your airline. Don't want stuff confiscated!

Good Luck!

Archived