Help - where to stay between Denali and Seward

jess94

I finally got the trip half planned now. I got tired/confused so I bought the shuttle bus tickets at Denali first then go from there. Please give advise on my trip plan and where to stay on Day 3 and Day 6. Travel with three teenagers and 6 adults. Do not want to spend a lot of money just three clean rooms and some activity to do for teenager boys.

Day 1: get off Cruise at Whittier then pick up Rental car at Anchorage. Weekend market then go to Healy. Stay at Lakeview inn for two nights

Day 2 : shuttle bus to wonderlake

Day 3 : dog sled demo and hiking and rafting(?), then go to Seward. need to find a place to stay in between denali and seward.(hopefully 2 to 3 hours drive from Denali)

Day 4: Continuing drive to Seward and stay at Seward B&B and Sealife center, Hiking exit glacier

Day 5 : Seward ; Sealife center Hiking, and may be Fjord cruise.

Day 6 : Need to find place to stay bewteen Anchorage and Seward

Day 7 : visit Anchorage and catch 10pm flight

Thanks.

Js

Your routing would be far better if you spent your extra day between Denali Park and Seward, which I suggest you consider. Adding a night in Talkeetna/Palmer, would allow you a day full of actives to consider- glacier trekking- bargain cost option for Alaska, Hatcher Pass/Independence Mine, Eagle River Nature Center, Eklutna Spirit House tours, Anchorage activities etc etc etc.

Move your Seward plans a day forward and your last day, just get an early start and spend the day making your way back to Anchorage. You don't need a "day" between Seward/Anchorage in my opinion, unless you have activity plans in Girdwood/Whittier??? And those areas are only 1- 1 1/4 hours from Anchorage. Your time would be possibly better spend north on your way, if activities there are of interest.

So, I suggest before you book up anything further, figure out where you want to be and what you are going to be doing there. There is not much point to be in a driving crunch on a tight schedule only to later be lazying around not doing much. :)

BQ. Thanks. I would like to spend a night in Talkeetnak/Palmer. Which place is more things to do and can you recommend a place?

Thanks.

Talkeetna is funky. :) Flightseeing is excellent. Palmer/Wassila is big and spread out, commercial areas. But plenty to see and do within short drives- Hatcher Pass/Independence Mine, Wasilla Sled dog museum and the cheapest of the cart rides with Reddington dogs, Eklutna Spirit House tours, Eagle River Nature Center, Matanuska Glacier trekking, Musk Ox farm etc etc

Archived