A bit OT but Hudson R. Question

I know this isn't the forum, but there doesn't seem to be one that fits and you folks seem pretty knowledgeable about technical aspects of cruising. Just wondering if anyone knows how far up the Hudson River could a modern cruise ship theoretically venture? Some large barges go up at least to Albany but could a cruise ship make it?

Thanks!

I know this isn't the forum, but there doesn't seem to be one that fits and you folks seem pretty knowledgeable about technical aspects of cruising. Just wondering if anyone knows how far up the Hudson River could a modern cruise ship theoretically venture? Some large barges go up at least to Albany but could a cruise ship make it?

Thanks!

We took the Silver Shadow to West Point. Not a very large ship. How high is the Tappen Zee bridge? I suspect that may be more limiting, than water depth.

I think it really depends on the draft and height of the ship. Mid-size freighters can go upriver to the Port of Albany, but cannot go further due to bridge clearances and the beginning of the New York State Barge Canal System (Lock#1 is at Troy). There are smaller cruise ships on the Hudson - I think American Cruise Lines ran a several-night fall foliage cruise last year. The Hudson can present some difficult navigation problems, particularly north of Bear Mountain/West Point. However, the Hudson is a wonderful river for cruising June - October. Many of the river towns have invested in improving their waterfronts and have planned a number of activities throughout the late spring/summer/early fall. A number of the lighthouses along the river are open for tours periodically as well.

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't know if anyone recalls the "Moth Ball Fleet" that was docked in the middle of the Hudson River a little north of the Bear Mountain Bridge and south of West Point. These were old WWII freightors that were full of grain in case of a nat'l emergency, and were at the ready to be activated should we have another war. My point is they got there somehow and were removed somehow. The chain accross the Hudson has long ago been removed, but that is what kept the British from sailing up the Hudson.

There is one company that routinely does this. American Canadian Carribean Lines takes their 90 or so passenger ships up the Hudson and on across the Erie Canal to Oswego New York and on to Quebec or Chicago. Their smallest ship (54 pax) goes directly North to Lake Champlain and Burlington VT.

Shalom04.jpg

I'm sure that I read in one of Bill Millers books that the Shalom of Zim lines was the largest ship ever to have circumnavigated the island of Manhattan.

She was 25000 tons and 628 feet long. I doubt that anything larger could get north of the Tappan Zee.

Archived