Daughter just off from the Grandeur

GAMOM4

I just got a call from my daughter she has been on the Grandeur all week. We have only been on Carnival cruises before. She said that the cruise was o.k. - the food was o.k. - Cozumel was gorgeous - Yuchatan reminded her of Freeport (I guess not a lot there). This was her boyfriends first cruise - I think he was very disappointed in the food - he had heard us talking about how good the food was on the cruises we have been on. But food is a subjective matter. We may try Royal Caribbean one day if the price is right at a time we are able to go. Of course, I'm sure that the weather in March isn't as warm as it is in the summer - she said the wind really got up - but when we went in May of last year the winds were awful.

Just thought I would let you know her opinion of everything - she is 19 - she said the ship had lots of spring breakers on it. But her overall view of the cruise was "it was o.k.". No real complaints, other than the food was not nearly as good as on Carnival.

Yeah - it is sort of disappointing I guess when you plan for months to do something and then it doesn't live up to what you were thinking. But her or her boyfriend aren't complaining - they just weren't blown away. But the same thing could have happened with a week at the beach or in the mountains! At least they made it down there safely and got back home safely! Sometimes I wish I was 19 again! Then again - most of the time I'm glad I'm not.

Expectations are usually very hard things to live up to ... especially when it comes to food, as it is so subjective. I really like the Grandeur, but it is not the best "spring break" ship. However, since it now does shorter itineraries from a fairly easy (and less expensive) airport/cruiseport in Tampa, it is going to draw the kids.

Yeah - it is sort of disappointing I guess when you plan for months to do something and then it doesn't live up to what you were thinking. But her or her boyfriend aren't complaining - they just weren't blown away. But the same thing could have happened with a week at the beach or in the mountains! At least they made it down there safely and got back home safely! Sometimes I wish I was 19 again! Then again - most of the time I'm glad I'm not.

Because of their ages, I have a feeling a Carnival cruise would have been more their style. We take lots of different cruiselines each year and we've noticed the young couples tend to enjoy Carnival's nightlife and especially the kareoke. RCCL offers kareoke but not at the same time each night and not always in the same room. I also think the younger people enjoy the waterslides on Carnival.

We enjoy sailing on NCL, Carnival, RCCL, and Princess. There are things we love on each cruiseline and things we would like to change. I wish I could combine all my favorite things into one ship, but I'll keep searching.

Just off the Grandeur today--9th cruise, 1st RCI. The food was very good I thought--better than I expected. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves that I saw. The Drifters were the celebrity guests and they were awesome!

I have always enjoyed my RCCL cruises, more than any on Carnival I have taken, and the Grandeur was no exception. I wonder if it was not just their ages but the age of the ship. Perhaps they would have liked a newer RCCL ship more with all the 'new' things like skating rinks, trampolines, etc. The Grandeur is an older, smaller ship for Royal.

I'm sorry they weren't blown-away. You always want anyone on vacation to be awed and come back smiling.

I said the same thing about the age of the ship. I told them that I bet a newer ship would have had more to do on it. Of course the Carnival ships that we have been on have been the older ones also. I'm sure that there are good and bad about everything. She has been looking at facebook this morning and it is amazing all the different places that all the people her age go! From snow skiing to touring New York to St. Patricks Day in Savannah to Panama City Beach! She said she is still glad that she spent hers on a cruise - especially since it was her boyfriends first one!

Archived