Hawaii Question for SSSkipper

voyagerfl

I'm not Ssskipper, but did the 12day cruise to Hawaii from Vancouver last year (we were actually sailing towards the islands this time last year).

As far as tours - not recessary for Maui or Oahu since you're there overnight. We rented a car on both islands. In Maui, there is a secured parking area right at the pier. We have our own snorkle gear so we did the road to Hana (mainly to get to the black sand beach) and snorkeled there - it was very pretty. There is a small town you drive through on the way that was kinda funky and fun - worth a quick stop in the evening called Pai (think 70's and hippies, surfer dudes). On the drive to Hana we stopped and swam in waterfalls, ate a road side stands, ate fruit from on your honor fruit stands. The second day we started the day at Kapulua Beach - gorgeous and we were the only ones there at 9 am. Then we drove in to Lahaina - great atmosphere - shopping (also home of one of the best rated Luaus) - you must stop at Kimmo's (not sure of spelling) great place for a drink.

Kona - many took tours and were very pleased - we had booked a snorkel trip, but due to some tendering issues, missed the tour. (Carnival did give us a 15% discount for a future cruise as compensation) - so instead we went to a beach within walking distance and then went shopping - alot of very nice galleries etc. Tthey have trollys that take you to several different shopping areas arounf the pier for no charge.

Hilo - we booked the Akaka waterfalls/botanical gardens and were very happy we did - fabulous waterfalls - actualy saw 2 and the gardens were exactly what I envisioned when I think of Hawaii.

Kauai we booked another snorkel- saw an octopus "ink" was able to hold it - also saw many sea turtles. Helicopter tour was the best on this island. Some who booked their own were cancelled to make room for cruise ship tours - just something to think of if you're interested in that.

In Oahu - we drove around the entire island stopping along the way at various beaches - had fresh pineapple and shaved ice from a local stand. It is a pain in the neck as you get towards Waikiki to park the car, but if you want to go beyond the immediate Waikiki area, I'd still recommend it.

The second day on Oahu was our last day of the cruise - as we were'nt flying out until after 4pm we did the Peral Harbor tour and it was well worth the trip.

Any other questions - let me know. If you're thinking of seeing the Volcano be sure to find out exactly what you'll see - some were disappointed because all they saw was balck and gray rock, ash etc. not flowing lava - it depended upon which of the volcano tours you chose as to what you expereinced.

Thanks....that is some good info.

I do want a good Volcano Tour.....that is one of my main interests.

Love to snorkel, but am not much of a beach person, though gotta see that black sand.

Our crusie starts in Honolulu and ends in Vancouver. So we probably will fly in a couple days early and have a rental car. That's a good idea.

Any other Historical attractions....? Of course Pearl Harbor is a must-see.

Waterfalls sound great....Any other Senic Attractions ?

voyagerfl, I just now saw this post! Sorry it took me a few days!:confused: I will try to be of some help, but hopefully someone else can help out some more. The reason I say this, is because I did not do any excursions....so I am no help there. :( I love to be on my own and explore. :)

I had a wonderful trip and there was nothing I can say that I did not like. BUT, put me on a cruise and I am pretty easy to please. :) The ship is beautiful. I sailed on her twice, and I may be booking her again in November leaving from San Diego to Mexico. My favorite port is Oahu. I stayed there for a few days after the cruise. We stayed at the Outrigger in Waikiki, which is a great hotel right on the beach. I have been to Honolulu 3x before and have always stayed at that hotel. It is right across the street from the International Market. I wish I could be of more help! I can tell you the Supper Club on the Spirit is great and I would recommend you go there at least once. I would go a couple of times on the 12 day cruise, but if you go at least once you can decide for yourself. You may find you enjoy it and go a couple of more times!:) If I can think of anything else, I will post again.... Hope this helps some.....

I have more information for you! My fiance's mother who went with me on the cruise, had most of the capers from our trip! Also she had a brochure on a few different islands and the Botanical gardens. Here is their website address-www.hawaiigarden.com if you want to take a look. I am using a different computer and can see all your cruise info now, and saw that you are booked for next April. I also have a list of the shore excursions. They might change by April but let me know what your most interested in. I will name a few now.

In Hilo they offered -Circle of Fire Helicopter Tour-2 1/4 hrs
Hilo Chain of Craters-approx 6 1/2 hrs long-scenic drive
Hilo City & Akaka Falls aprox 4 hours long
Hilo Historical Tour approx 4 1/2 hrs
Mauna Kea Summit Tour approx 6 hrs
Volcano Biking Adventure approx 5 hrs
Volcanoes National Park -approx 4 3/4 hrs long
Volcano Golf & Country Club

In Kona they offered-Atlantis Submarine approx 1 1/2 hr long
Deep Sea Fishing-approx 4-5 hrs
Kailua Village Walk -approx 1.5 hrs
Kona Afternoon Snorkel Cruise-approx 3.5 hrs long
Kona Coffee Living History Farm-approx 4 hrs long
Kona Historical Tour-approx 3.5 hrs long
Kona Kayak Adventure-approx 4 hrs
Kona Morning Snorkel Cruise/Scuba option approx 5 hrs long
Paniolo Horseback Riding Adventure-approx 4.5-5 hrs long
Parker Ranch-approx 4.5 hrs long
Rafting Adventure-approx 3 hrs long
Kona Country Club (golf)

Those are the excursions offered at that time. I have alot more on different islands, if you want I can continue listing them? :) Anyone that you are interested in, let me know and I can type out the description they listed for it and describe the excursion in better detail for you. Hopefully I was of better help today?:p

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='SSSkipper']Sure I can make you copies and send them to you. No need to pay for them, it's no problem at all. :) I just don't know how many excursions will stay the same by next year? Where do I send them?[/QUOTE]
Could you e-mail me at [email]lifevoyager@msn.com[/email] and I'll e-mail back my address.
copies of some of he Capers would be nice.

• 4 months later...

Archived